Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the magnet bra or atleast seen one on the road?

www.magnetbra.com

I'm wondering about damage to the hood, they say it's made of the same stuff logo magnetic logo decals are made of.

Attachments

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I would be more worried about someone taking it. I personally do not believe in anything against my paint. Wether it be there to protect my paint or not. Bras and vinyl/plastic hood deflectors can either rub off paint, not let the paint breathe, or trap dirt and moisture. Just my $.02 Brian.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of someone stealing it... The wear and tear you mentioned seems reasonable, I guess that would defeat it's purpose except that I'd like to avoid rust spots from hard dings. Any other suggestions?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Don't follow trucks w/o mudflaps! No really, Keep some touch up paint, keep it waxed...I would not worry about rust, that would be a big rock/ding. Just my personal opinion. Brian

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Jakester said:
I didn't think of someone stealing it...
You would think that someone may steal it, but are they going to know its a magnet bra? On top of that who would want to steal one from an Outback, the Outback has one of the lowest theft rates of any car made and I don't think anyone would want something off an Outback. I could see someone stealing one of these of an Accord, Mustang, or Camaro but not an Outback. Just my thoughts ;)

Personally I've never like car bras, although these don't sound lik a half bad idea. I looked around at some other car pics on that site and on all the cars the magnet bra has a good custom fit, on some cars it almost looks like a strip of black paint it fits soo well. I don't know I think it sounds interesting and I might even look into getting one if I can find some reviews on some other sites.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Wow I've always been opposed to car bra's and those ugly (IMHO) plastic leaf catcher devices but these magnetic ones don't look half bad. I imagine if the maget is strong enough they won't move, but I do worry abit what happens if water is trapped between the bra and the paint surface for long periods. Good find!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Here is a little write up I found on the Magnet Bra: Loud Frog

Gives a good description of the product:

The magnetic car bra has a patented design that makes it theft-proof and secure at any speed. A durable U-shaped edge trim covers the leading edge and sides of the bra. This keeps wind and water out and prevents removing the bra without opening the hood (this feature on newer models only).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Actually sounds very good, pity they only come in black and white, a silver one would be awesome! Price is good too, those silly plastic hood protectors cost about $160 here, that's converted to US$ too! Now they just need to make one for the 2005 OBW... :blingblin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From that review it sounds like it might be worth trying and monitoring for the first couple of months. I couldn't find any other reviews online that weren't manufacturer driven. I'll get one and let you know in a couple months if I'm still happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon - my first post here.

I've been browsing the last couple of days and had to sign up to post here and save this guy some money!

I ordered one of these from this exact company for a previous car and this was my experience:

The Bra: nothing but a sheet of magnetic vinyl that clings to the leading edge of the hood. A flexible "C" channel then clamps the leading edge of the magnet to the leading edge of the hood - thats it. While this seemed sturdy from flying off at speed it was NOT theft proof in the least. Very dissapointed, and I never actually used it on the car.

The Service: I was sent the wrong product and when I tried to return it the owner became belligerent, insulting, and very unprofessional. Ultimately he did send me the correct fit, but the damage was done.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

BTW: Just purchased a 2000 Outback Limited to replace a leased Land Rover Freelander. Very happy so far with Subie!

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
I've used a similar product to protect the rear fender flare of my M Roadster, which is very prone to stone damage. If properly maintained, it will not harm the paint. You carefully clean the area and give it a good coat of wax, as well as wax the underside of the magnetic vinyl. I do clean and wax this each time I wash the car, this is easy for the small area on the roadster but might be annoying to do on a large hood piece.

I've seen people use this for several years with no damage to the paint. The only downside is if there is any long term fading of the car's paint due to UV exposure you'll see a difference when the sheet is removed.

An alternative is the Invisible Bra made using 3M Scotchcal, but I'm not aware of a kit for Outbacks.

rob

Attachments

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Yes that roadster would be a very nice car to take for a leisurely drive on a Sunday. Leisurely, yeah right......:D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
OK I know it's off topic, but hands up all those who are secretly extremely jealous of Zumdish now?? :29:

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I'll be publicly jealous of him!

I see a black one on the freeway down here every now and then. Its a beautiful machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts