Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share the Maine foliage with all. These pics were taken on Tumbledown Mountain near Weld, Maine. Enjoy!

The road leading to the trailhead... not paved!

Attachments

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Very nice. You know...23 years ago I left Maine for Nebraska. Boy, if I wasn't only 11 years old, I would have stayed. I spent 2.5 years in Maine on the East coastline near Machias. Cool pix. Brian

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Wow that's very beautiful, scenes like that make me wish I lived in a cooler climate, but then the winter scenes with brown everywhere put me off, stays nice and green here in winter :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bheinz57 said:
Very nice. You know...23 years ago I left Maine for Nebraska. Boy, if I wasn't only 11 years old, I would have stayed. I spent 2.5 years in Maine on the East coastline near Machias. Cool pix. Brian
Is Machias known for blueberries? I saw a photo a few days ago and I think it was taken near Machias. The land looked blue from all the berries. Very nice... I'll have to check it out next year.

Wow that's very beautiful, scenes like that make me wish I lived in a cooler climate, but then the winter scenes with brown everywhere put me off, stays nice and green here in winter
We'll see how much I like Maine after I've spent a winter here. I don't think I'll care too much about the cold (or the brown :D) but I'm not sure how I feel about it getting dark at 4:30.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, Machias is where the annual Blueberry Festival is held!

I was in Maine for July 4th and I biked through it the first week of August from Kittery to Orient, ME in "The County". :)

I love Maine and I love your pictures!

I'm planning a baxter trip next year.. should be great.

Jay

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Wow, Webb Lake looks almost identical to the reservoir out at Pikes Peak. Even the surroundings look very much alike, although the Rockies are much taller :D

Nice Pics IJ! I guess there's more to Maine than I had thought...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Machias is the home of the big Blueberry Festival! When I was there I was in the parade as a Cub Scout. I use to groom the berries with my rake for momma to make pies and muffins. Berry pickin' was fun. I actually lived in Bucks Harbor, about 2.5 miles from Machias. It was an Air Force Station. It closed, the family moved to the Great Plains....Nebraska. And I mean plain . The population of Machias was around 2k way back when. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The great thing about 'em is no elevation changes for tens of miles. Of course right here on the banks of the mighty 'Mo there are hills everywhere. But yes, very plain in the Great Plains. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
One thing about Ohio, there's the Appalachian mountains at the east edge of the state, and the great plains on the west. Here in the Columbus area it's pretty flat except for the valleys, but in Ohio and Indiana the hills pick up as you head south.

We have a wide mix of forests, so we get a lot of good fall colors. But there aren't many places you can stand on a mountaintop and see for miles like that.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
no elevation changes for tens of miles
sounds like punishment to me.....:( one of my favorite roads, abt 90 mi from here, goes from 5000 to 9000' in 15 miles...at one point, you go through a tunnel and go from Western movie scenery to Ponderosa pines and aspen groves.) i think if i lived there, i'd have to get a big straight-line missile bike like a Hayabusa or ZX12....:D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Beautious! We went to Bah Haba (Bar Harbor) a couple of years ago about this time of year and it was great. The views from Cadillac Mountain were beautiful.

but then the winter scenes with brown everywhere

I don't think you'll have to worry about too much brown for too long.....it gets replaced with lots of white soon enough.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yesterday I had some nice hiking around Old Man's Cave in southern Ohio (look up hockinghills.com). The colors were not quite at peak yet - but the cider was delicous!

And today, my legs are sore...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Never been to the NE of US of A. Want to go there sometime. Only been as far as D.C. and Ohio.

Might look something like that here in a couple more weeks, very close to the southern end of the Appalachian Mountains.

Seen Cleveland, OH, in wintertime. Big oaks lined the street where my grandparents lived awhile, even without leaves on them I liked it. Probably because of the snow. Lived in AL and FL during that time.

Those Great Plains... cold or hot and/or windy, too, not only flat! Only passed through before but unless I still rode a bicycle a lot I'm not sure I'd ever want to live there.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I want to go back to the Daniel Boone Wilderness in eastern KY, it's like a giant version of hocking hills - sandstone gorges, cliffs, waterfalls - but it goes on for miles. There are many opportunities to walk right off a cliff.

IIRC you can camp just about anywhere except within 1000 feet of a road or stream.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
Injektilo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing