Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am the proud new owner of a 2.5i Limited Subaru Outback!!! Have had for one week exactly and LOVE it. I was offered a maintenance plan when i bought the car for around $1400 that covers the car through 45k miles, or 4-5 years(i forget). I do plan to maintain the car at its recommended schedule etc. Apparently retail on all of the maintenances and oil changes would be over $3500 if I purchase separately.

Please toss out some pros and cons. Thinking seriously about dropping the cash for this. Hope all is well. On a side note, i cant wait for my Subaru badges!

Doug

·
Registered
557 Posts
hi doug,

congrats on the purchase.

i got a "free" maintenance plan - 2 years / 24k miles - when i purchased my '12 premium in feb.

i had two independent shops near me that i was planning on bringing my outback to but since i have the maintenance plan i have been going to the dealer.

i would say if you are a dealer service kinda person, then yes, get it.

otherwise, i think you can do better by going to an indie shop that you are comfortable with.

a lot of the recommended service is a lot of inspection that a good mechanic would look at during a "regular" oil change, IMO.

joel

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited White, GPS & Eyesight
15 Posts
Doug,

Owner of a similar limited 2.5 bought August 2012 and i purchased the 45k maintenance plan for ~ $1,300 or $1,350, i did not try to negotiate but thinking back i'm sure you can get it a little cheaper. I planned on having the dealer do the work so the discount was a no brainer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All,

I was offered a maintenance plan when i bought the car for around $1400 that covers the car through 45k miles, or 4-5 years(i forget). I do plan to maintain the car at its recommended schedule etc. Apparently retail on all of the maintenances and oil changes would be over $3500 if I purchase separately.

Doug
Please take a look in your owner's manual (not what the dealer is recommending) at what is actually required at each scheduled maintenance through the first 45k miles. I think you will see that it is primarily oil changes and visual inspections, both of which you can do yourself or get done much cheaper elsewhere (sometimes even at the dealer by using their monthly coupons). Without checking my manual, I believe there are only 6 services required during this period (6 times 7500 miles). So $1400 divided by 6 equals $233 for each 'oil change'.

That's my take at least.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
For that same $1400 you can get the Subaru 7 year/100,000 mile/ $0 deductable extended warranty. Then you can use dealer coupons for $50 oil changes and be good to go. My dealer offers a free 29 point inspection with each oil change.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
There is zero practical value. If you feel better about it then only you can decide if that's worth it to you. From a mechanic point of view, pointless. The service packages stuff is mostly ***marketing*** with a bit of practical mechanical value. basically you're overpaying for piece of mind, which many consumers of new cars like.

Every new Subaru will easily make 45,000 miles on nothing but oil changes.

And I agree with what he said - check if you're getting any actual parts in 45,000 miles, likely you're not. Oil changes...and, anything else?

"Inspection" items are a complete joke. I can spend 26 seconds and tell you I "inspected" the transmission output shaft, transmission main bearing, transmission, differential bushings, belts, timing tensioner, timing guides, control arm bushings, and list every mechanical part on the car and call it a "45,323 point inspection", and all that means is the car ran and drove fine, no noises, etc. That is what most of the "service packages" are.

Visual checks are the same, basic stuff and a matter of seconds. A quick glance shows cracked tie rod boots, ball joints, CV joints, etc. And, those are unbelievably unlikely in 45,000 miles and will come up in yearly state inspections if your state has those, or an oil change when all of those components are 9 inches from the mechanics face. any competent shop will do that during an oil change - they want to make money if they can, you don't need to pay them to try to make them money. LMAO!!!!

Avoid those "30,000 mile maintenance packages". Rather, look up the actual 30,000 mile maintenance, ask informed people that have done this for decades (on this forum) if you have questions, and tell the Dealer what you want done.

They're $1,400 dollar offer sounds good in light of their marketing fattened "'package" pricing.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,061 Posts
$1400 seems steep for that kind of package. I have what amounts to a 25,000 mile package and paid about 1/2 that. My package includes a couple alignments, 2 or 3 state inspections, a discount off my next vehicle (pays for more than 1/3 the cost of the package), a couple detailings and 5 oil changes with tire rotations. It also includes a free loaner for ANY service (including oil changes), as long as I schedule it in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
You are paying for peace of mind.
Your Outback needs such little maintenance that the quote you got serves to remove you from having to do anything but take it to the dealer. For that money you can take it to any good indy Subaru or for that matter any indy to do the oil changes and look under the car and under the hood.
Any good DIYer can do all of this and document it as well and save the extra money for upgrades to your ride or dinners for your wife of gf...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Not worth it, in my opinion.
Only Genuine Subaru Extended Warranty is worth the money and that also only if you have a turbo. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's a waste of money!

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Not worth it, in my opinion.
Only Genuine Subaru Extended Warranty is worth the money and that also only if you have a turbo. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's a waste of money!
I don't know if it was this package but my finance guy tried selling me something simliar. I asked him if it covered synthetic and he said no thats extra. I told him that the 13's required synthetic now, his next price was way more ridiculous than the first. Lets say I can change my oil for $50 each time with good syn and oil filter. In a 100k miles I'm still under $700 and changing the oil on these cars is easy! As stated, waste of money.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited w/Moonroof
87 Posts
Doesn't seem worth it.

That includes:
12 oil changes on the severe schedule - ~$400-500 at the dealer, maybe cheaper
6 tire rotations ~$20 each, I think my dealer charges $30, probably free w/coupon
1 air filter - $20-30
3 cabin air filters - $40-50, definitely do it yourself, it takes all of 2 minutes.
1 brake fluid flush - $100 at the dealer

If you want to, toss in a tranny fluid change, diff change and you're still coming out ahead.

All else is inspections according to the manual. Correct me if I left something out, but that comes to a total of less than $900. Most dealers usually do the general inspection items at oil changes so they can see what else they can make money on.

Are they throwing in anything else? Most of those prices are retail at my dealer, give or take some. With coupons you can bring that down and you're not giving up a huge chunk of money. Always better to keep the money then give it to someone else. What if your call gets totaled in a year and you replace it? I imagine you're out of that maintenance contract.

A warranty carries some of that same risk, but it's slightly different in that it mitigates some other risks you might incur down the line. Probably a better use of your money if you're dying to spend it.

Any case congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
... $1400 divided by 6 equals $233 for each 'oil change'.
^ ^ ^ the rule of numbers.
The new FB already adds oil filter on the top engine, if the oil pan drain plug on the bottom still poses a DIY hardship then $1,400 oil changes should appease your comfort level.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
Absolutely, 100% not worth it AT ALL. Even if you're the type that wants/needs to take it to the dealership for the majority of standard maintenance (read: only oil changes, air filter and tire rotations), you'll come out much better using their standard coupons.

Let's say you go conservative and change the oil every 5,000 miles, the air filter every 20, and the brake fluid every 15 (unnecessary for most conditions). At the dealership, you would spend roughly $975 over 45,000 miles for those services (over $1,100 if you want them to change your in cabin AC filter). Do it yourself and that drops to roughly $375-$400 if you're willing /capable to spend the 30 minutes doing it every few months.

Either way, you're better off than the $1,400 :29:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts