Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 outback 3.6 R. I need to do the differential and transmission fluid changes. The reason I am not going to the dealer is my local dealers service manger and advisors are condescending richard heads. I ask questions and they try to BS me. :28:

This is my first Subaru. The oil changes are a snap.

I looked in the manual and saw the ridiculous number for the oil types. What fluid types are used so I do not have to go to the dealer? I am looking for good quality oils. I can get Amsoil at a good price.

What transmission fluid will be compatible?

What differential fluid will be compatible?

Any write ups on the process?

I did search on the forum but it errors out every time I use 3.6 or 3.6R.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did my own diff, and trans (6 spd) at 40k miles and used amsoil. It will easily make it to 100k miles, and I will lather, rinse and repeat.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,303 Posts
AT is Subaru ATF-HP. Your call is you want an aftermarket fluid that "meets or exceeds" that spec.

Diffs are GL-5 75w90 as far as I remember.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
My dealer agreed to change the 5EAT auto transmission fluid (at 5K) in a vehicle similar to yours and was surprised at the debris that came out. 4 1/2 quarts of Subaru ATF-HP was added and labor was $28.50.

Front and rear differentials were also drained at 5K and the Service Manager was called over to see all the metal flakes in the drain pan. Technician was joking that he had struck gold. Labor was also $28.50 per differential and I provided the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 synthetic oil.

Engine LOF was likewise performed at the same time with OEM filter and 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.

MPG increased by 1.5 and transmission shifts smoother.

Got to love the drain plug on the 5-speed auto trans for easy servicing during select LOF changes.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Premium
65 Posts
Used Amsoil ATF and Severe gear 75W-90 in transmission, front and rear diff respectively. Works great! If you can get them, I say go for it. I also use Amsoil Signature series 5W-30 in my engine. Love Amsoil!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BRWagonman

What is the exact model of the ATF?

Amsoil has treated me right, I have a Impala I race, hard. Never a worry with Amsoil.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Another Amsoil differential and trans. fluid person here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the ATF is ATF-HP and the differential fluid is GL-5 75W-90.

How many quarts for a drain and fill on the ATF?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,303 Posts
Typically just a little bit less than a gallon.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Premium
65 Posts
I forgot how many quarts, but I think it was a little over 4 for the tranny. I put the Amsoil ATF and it's listed as meeting Subaru ATF and ATF-HP standards. My car has 18K miles and I drained and filled it twice already. I wanted to reduce the amount of factory fluid vs. Amsoil as much as possible. The ATF is nice and red when I drained them out and looked good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts