Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious as to how many people have done some major audio upgrades. My girlfriend got her outback after her step brother; he had blown 3 of the main woofers. The head unit went out, so I put in a new one. Then my dad found an amp, so I threw together a fairly nice sub. It take up a good amount of room in the cargo area, but I can take it out quickly. I've got a 4 gauge wire set for power. Having a large sub in the car, and not in the trunk makes a huge difference, even when it's not turned up all bumpin an thumpin.

enouen

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
I love the Lanzar amp in my other car. I installed a Vibe 410 4x100 a few years ago in place of a weak factory amp & adapted the line-outs from the factory head unit. It had everything I wanted (like built-in crossover switches & mosfet power) & nothing I didn't want (like pulsing neon lights) in a clean, simple, rugged package for a great price. Its probably not a competition class amp (I wouldn't even know) but it provides plenty of clean loud sound for daily driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was completely surprised with the lanzar amp. I found it online, brand new, for about $100. But yeah, it's just great with my sub. There's no distortion at low to mid levels and almost none even when I turn it all the way up. The next thing I need to do though, is dynomat the subaru - there are just a few places that rattle a little too much.

Enouen

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
No major upgrade, I was just looking for something more listenable than the base factory system with MP3 and WMA capability. I installed an Alpine 9815 and four Infinity References. I'm not an audiophile and listen at moderate volumes so this works fine for me. I still have to do something about a subwoofer, nothing elaborate, but something a bit better than the factory sub, which I wasn't impressed with. I'll probably stick an amplified bazooka in the back and be done with it - but I'd welcome any advice on other compact ways to add a bit more bass.

rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if you want to go this elaborate. But I had an idea for a friend who had a 1972 VW Bug. The idea was (since they don't have a whole lot of room) to put 2 small sub woofers under each of the front seats. At one point I'd found some as small as 5 1/4 I think. Problem with that and the Outback is there are foot vents under the front seats so the passangers feet get air.

In my girlfriends outback it's just a sub, amp, and cap, it's not that elaborate, and we've taken many (week and more) car trips with 4 people and all their stuff and still had plenty of room. The amp and cap are mounted on some 3/4" that I covered with speaker box carpet. It all matches pretty well, and I cut it all so everything fits perfectly (1/8" extra room) between the rear struts. The hardest part was running the 4 gauge wire from the battery to the cargo area. I put it under the carpet along the driverside, where it is vertical, not lying flat. I didn't want to drill any holes, so I found a grommet that wasn't doing anything behind the front driver's side fender, cut a "small" hole in it and push the wire through. The only place you see the power cables in where they come off the cap.

You could probably fit a 10 inch in the back, and maybe a 200-400 watt amp. Then you wouldn't have to mess with 4 gauge, and only have to use 6; 4 gauge is atleast a half inch thick.

At one oint I was thinking about selling the sub and all to make some money, but since then I've decided I don't like listening to the stereo with just the "monitors". It's a huge differece even when the sub isn't turned up very loudly. I'm sure you'll be plenty happy with a bazooka. I haven't ever experienced one, but I hear they work very well. ****, you could even mount two back there, and they're easy to take out too, if you mount them right.

The only advantage you can get from building your own is if you shop right (online) you might be able to more boom for your buck. Check out http://www.ikesound.com I haven't shopped there in awhile, but I got a $400 head unit for $200 and that included shipping and hadling. It was brand new at the time also.

Enouen

EDIT: Ok, I just looked for the **** of it. IkeSound has an 8 inch 150 watt Bazooka tube for $242 (shipping NOT included) www.Crutchfield.com (great store also) has it for $250 (FREE SHIPPING). Lastly if you search for rs8ahp, which is the model number, at http://shopping.yahoo.com , you'll get a low price of $209 - the store it's at offers shipping for about $24. (Here's the URL http://store.ez-yahoo.com/rs8ahp.html ) I would still suggest Crutchfield though. I'm sure they have better technical support. OH and one more thing with the bazooka tube; For some STUPID reason, the positive power lead is only 11" long! so you'll have to atleast buy some power cable, a fuse holder, and fuse. Plus the connector for the battery. To make it easy Crutchfield suggests a 10 gauge wiring kit that's only $20.

Just FYI when I put in my system, I used one of the bolts holding in the back seat (un screwed it, lifted up the bracket, ground off a small patch of paint, put the connector under the bracket, and bolted it back down... like I said, I didn't want to drill any extra holes)

I'll help you out any way I can, just let me know

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a Bazooka tube would be a good solution for me.

I've already got a ham radio occupying space under the driver's seat (I plugged the rear seat heater vents on that side) so there's no room for an amp there. I ran 10 ga. wires to the battery to power it so I can easily extend that to the cargo area to power a self contained sub/amp.

we've taken many (week and more) car trips with 4 people and all their stuff and still had plenty of room.
Well, that works for you since you're obviously Buddhist monks with no possessions. Probably Nudist Buddhist monks with no clothes either. ;)

There is simply no way my wife could go away for a week without using every square millimeter of cargo room. How can you possibly go camping without a bathroom scale, or spend a week at the beach without ski poles? Rest assured anything installed in the cargo compartment will have quick disconnects.

I've bought a bunch of stuff at Crutchfield over the years. They are more expensive than a lot of online places, but as you said they are pretty decent if you need support and they have a liberal return policy. I also like that they're an authorized dealer for everything they sell so you have peace of mind that there will be no problems having manufacturer's warranties honored, something you don't get with most internet discounters.

Bazooka's web site seems to have a lot of info. I downloaded an installation manual, seems pretty straightforward. Just have to figure out a mounting arraignment that's solid enough yet easy to remove. The supplied straps look like they should be easy to remove, maybe they can be replaced with velcro straps. I wouldn't want the mounting base to interfere with taking out the rubber cargo mat, perhaps it can mount to the side panel trim with the tube resting on the mat.

Another item that seems to address what I'm looking for is the Kenwood "wOOx" . It's smaller and less powerful than a bazooka, but it's lower profile means I wouldn't have to remove it when packing up the car for a trip. It seems a bit too big to fit under the passenger seat, but would probably work out mounted to the side of the cargo area. I'll search for some reviews of this too.

rob

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
we've taken many (week and more) car trips with 4 people and all their stuff and still had plenty of room
We once took a week and a half through Michigan with two adults and two teenagers, plus camping and other gear. We had the inside filled all the way to the top, and space was tight. We could have used some sort of rooftop carrier, but OTOH it was nice not having that in the wind. The car ran fine (great parks like Sleeping Bear in MI) but we were glad to get home and stretch out.

I have enough room to pick up four travelers at the airport, with one full-size and one or two miscellaneous bags for each, and we can fit it all well. But vacation cargo tends to be messier, not packed as well and often dug through while searching for something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nudist buddhist monks... now that would be quite a sight.

In reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. We went skiing for 4 days, I brought 8 days worth of clothes (better safe than sorry in my book). my girlfriend did the same. We had a duffle that is roughly 1/3 the area of the cargo space. Her parents had 3 full size peices of lugage.

I actually pride myself on being able to pack a lot of junk into a small place. In highschool I was in stage craft, but my school didn't have it's own theater, so we had to go across town. We never had any vehicles larger than an 87 toyota pickup, and I was in charge of packing. I could fit 16 lights, 4 dimmer packs, 4 100' 10ga power cables and every other connector for the lights we had into my little ford probe, and could still have a comfortable passanger. Ah the things I learned in stagecraft.

Enouen

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
underseat powered subs

my 02 OBS came with a Kenwood Woox under the driver's seat.

it is sano way to installa sorta-sub, but that's the extent of the positive i have to say.

doesn't put out much oomph, whatit does is not particularly low frequency, and appears very cheezily made. Infinity makes something they call a "basslink" which is much better, but it's 8" thick and costs $350 last time i priced at Crutchfield.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not going to go all out with my 02 OBS since there isn't any place to mount amps without exposing them, so my plan is to get a decent head unit, quality door speakers, and a self-powered sub tube in the rear cargo area. Sizing up the Bazookas, the 10" appears to be too big to mount to the side without sticking up/out too far, but the 8" looks like it would fit into the left corner diagonally while clearnig the hatch opening width AND be under the cargo-shade. I may still go with the 10" and mount against the back seats with option to move/remove when cargo area is needed, haven't decided yet - I have a 500W Alpine system with 12" sub/box in my other car, so I'm really having a hard time restraining myself with the Subie. Living with the (ugh) stock system for now....

-Peter

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i think the Bazookas require/recommend a certain amt of open air space offthe end fo the tube so leave space for that.

absolutely agree with your views on amps: stealth is the order of the day. subwoofers ditto altho they're a little harder to carry off under a coat.... <G>

it may be possible to mount an amp under back seat. MTX recommends this as having sufficient cooling altho it seems iffy to me. a small to medium one wd fit under front and could be camo'd with scraps of grey carpet (sub box carpet?)

if you don't carry 4 people too often, a small10" sub box will fit behind front driver seat on floor. a small (the .35 cu ft one) 10" Qlogic box may/may not fit , haven't made the mockup yet, but a similar sized custom shaped box would, without interrfering significantly with seat travel (i'm 6'4" and girlfriend is 6' so this is an issue). it also looks like a pickup truck box for single 10" would fit up against back of rear seat, be relatively inconspicuous, and eat very little space for everyday use. but there's the problem of making the sub cone itself invisible...homemade square grille made of 1/4" masonite covered in grey speaker cloth?

i dunno abt any of this, really, still in the test fitting and experimenting stage. keep us posted on yr results. i alrady made one "minor" mistake..bought the neat 5 channel MTX amp on ebay, rated 25wRMSx4, +100wRMS for sub. didn't think abt where it might fit. didn't think abt MTX' practice of under-rating their amps..it actually makes 57wRMSx4+208 for sub. so now i have some fitting problems and have to buy high end speakers (not too many cheap 4" that will handle almost 60w continuous). darn, he says. (real meaning: slobber drool spend spend)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
also, didn't mention as i assume you've seen the custom enclosures made to fit into the area behnd rear wheel well? look on the WRX boards if not. (man, them guys spend some BUCKS on they cars. we lowly ones feed from the bottom on the morsels they happen to drop, for pennies on the dollar...) i think those tend to run abt $160ish

·
Registered
151 Posts
cptoversteer said:
also, didn't mention as i assume you've seen the custom enclosures made to fit into the area behnd rear wheel well? look on the WRX boards if not. (man, them guys spend some BUCKS on they cars. we lowly ones feed from the bottom on the morsels they happen to drop, for pennies on the dollar...) i think those tend to run abt $160ish
No joke... look at their sigs/profiles and some of those kids have spent $5-10K in WRX "upgrades"... haven't seen those enclosures but again not sure I'd consider one as it would require an amp. If a factory sub or a Woox can fit under a seat, maybe a flatter one could be installed there? I still like the tube idea - self-contained and quickly movable/removable as needed.

(I am hoping to pick up a set of WRX wheels for summer use - have seen those for ~$200/set used)

Which WRX boards do you check? I've been here and on i-club.com but that's it.

-Peter

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
02 OBS stock door spkr sizes?

hey Peter--

i-club is only one i've looked at too. guess i'd sound like too much of a curmudgeon if i called it "toys for tots"....but some of the posts make me think it. sevl people with OB posts have noted genl lack of response on OB Qs there.

some of those kids have spent $5-10K in WRX "upgrades"...

so does that mean you're going to forego the neon in yr engine bay......? i understand, i couldn't handle something as fast as that would make the car either...actually a female friend hit it on the nose on a lot the sport compact types....don't see their car mod.s as car performance mod.s and judge them by that standard, look at em as the brightly colored inflatable throat pouches displayed by some species of lizards and birds in order to attract the female of the species....obv, there are also a lot of serious hot rodders too who just happen to like Jap iron instead of Deeetroit dinosaurs, but i suspect there's abt 1 of those for every 50 "mechanical ruffed grouse", at least here in low-rent El Paso

OK, nuff ranting....have you done the door spkrs yet? what sizes did you use? it looks from looking inside my door panels that it will fit at least 5 1/4s in the rear and 6 1/2s in the front doors with a little drilling to get around the tri-hole factory arrangement. did these in the ex' 95 Legacy wagon and both took 6 1/2s but it was a long time ago and i'm old and feeble minded.

also, i recall that at least the rear spkrs in the Legacy had some really tight backspacing limitation which limited the spkrs i could use to about 1 model of Kenwoods, at least acc to Crutchfield (altho i tend to rely on and buy from em less and less now that they cater motsly to know-nothings who can't operate a power drill and rely on catchy blather instead of spec.s and independently tested (remember when?) spec.s) any idea if OBS has similar limitations or how much back clearance it has?

thanks in advance!

bw

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
I use to have a system till i got the rue. It started in a 1984 Toyota 2wd truck single cab. 2 10" JL audio Subs, with Polk componates and crossovers and a Kenwood Exelon head unit. power by a rockford 400power amp all set up on rockford 4Ga wire from bat. I was hitting 137db's in that. soo loud only 20 and have some hearing problems, going to blam them all on my system.

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
The fist thing i said to myslef when i bought my outback is "this cheasy audio system has got to hit the road" I own a 2000 outback. So i swapped out everything. Got a new head unit that reads mp3 cd's $600 pioneer dh8400. New speakers all around infinity kappa 60.5 ($250 a pair). Tons of monster rca cables, and a boss 1000Watt 5 channel amp $300. For all this i paid about $500. Buying online is key here people! Car audio is one of the most marked up consumer electronics available!.(i.e. biggest rip off) Therefore it is incredibly easy to find deals on this stuff.

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback
17 Posts
New Kenwood DVD system

Well I just ordered my Audio/video upgrade. Its a Kenwood DDX7015 DVD/CD/MP3 beast. It has a 6.5 inch touch screen display and should keep the kid entertained in the back....LOL. I also ordered the Kenwood weather radio add-on to keep with the outback tradition...and I seem to use the weather band radio quit often. The order was placed thru Crutchfield who claimed the install should not be that difficult. I hope it all goes well. Its going into a 2004 OBW.

I'll try a get some pics of the install which should happen in a week or so.

·
Registered
2004 Legacy Outback
17 Posts
Kenwood DVD DDX7015 player installed

I got the Kenwood unit installed with relative ease( finished pic in the gallery).

The removal of the dash components is not that bad except for the 3 screws holding on the ash try..you'll need a stubby screw driver for the 2 on top and a long one to reach way back behind the ash try. The rest is pretty straight forward, just remove all the screws holding the metal bracket containing the stereo and AC controller.

The in dash DVD unit has this security feature which is supposed to hook up directly to the parking brake so that you can only view movies while the car is parked....I can see where this feature makes sence but I had to bypass it so that my passenger(wife) could watch some flicks while we travel. To bypass the feature just ground the wire(green). I think this trick works on Kenwood and Pioneer systems...Alpines, I believe need some kind of special switch.

I purchased the optional weather band unit as well since I'm a bit of a weather freak...weird I guess..LOL

I purchased the unit from Crutchfield and the supplied harness for the Outback worked out perfect. I recommend Crutchfield highly for the do-it-yourselfers out there....

Next is going to be a rear camera....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
blood, sweat and wires

OK, selectin and buying the stuff is the easy part. the tough part is stringin the 12-14 ga. wires you'll need to use for a big amp through the rubber accordion boots into the doors. anyone got any good suggestions? i finally got em through there with the aid of a lot of silicone lube spray inside the boots, but it took me abt 2 1/2 hours per side and involved a LOT of pain. :cursin: my usual tools for fishing wires, the claw-type pickup tool and a coat hanger straightened out and bent into a tiny loop at the end, were no help. i've done this exact job on 10+ cars, and it's never been this much of a bear.

i promised my lady that i wouldn't come in with bloody scrapes on my arms next time i install a stereo, .......and the possibility of us gettin another Sub seems to go up every time she drives the OBS......

????

TIA!

mordecai the foul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts