Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My outback with 2200 miles on it I bought in January set a check engine light with code p0456 evaporator emissions leak. The gas cap was tight and I contacted my local dealer and he stated that is he seeing 4-6 of these each day only on the 2012 models. He said that Subaru is working on a fix. It made my brake light flash on the dash turn off my stability control and my cruise control made my cruise light flash. I was very mad about this being over 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere with no cruise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing happened to me on a trip from Iowa to Arizona. 800 mmiles from home. called the dealer and he said it was the same problem you had and if I could get to a dealer or auto parts store to get the code read and then get it cancelled. Told him I was in the middle of nowhere and he said to unhook the battery cable for 5 minutes and it would erase the code. Did that and finished my 3400 mile trip without another hickup. Never did get the code read and hasn't bothered since. Have to say I am quite impressed with the little Subie. Traveled through the mountains of Colorade, New Mexico and Arizona at 80 mph most of the time except for 6% grade curves and any road construction. Gas milage was always between 29.5 and 30.5 hand calculated. The 2.5 and cvt are a great combination and never felt underpowered. As far as this check engine light being a major problem I can think of a lot worse.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
To be fair, any time the CEL comes on it disables CC and stability, as well as generally lighting up light a Christmas tree.

Unfortunate that it has to be so overkill to get most drivers to pay attention to the car saying "Error! Please fix."

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Mine's tossed that one about 3 times in it's 23k miles. First time was the first week I got it. Chalked it up to a loose gas cap and reset it.

Subscribing to see if anything comes of it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
What is wrong with subaru. Disabling the cruise control for this is azzanine. If the check engine light, and assorted flashing lights dont get your attention you shouldn't be driving.

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
Disabling the cruise when the CEL comes on is pretty standard from what I've seen. Toyota does this too, at least.

Besides, if there were a major problem with the engine and somebody insisted on locking it in at 80 on the highway they could easily destroy the motor. Safety first.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
What is wrong with subaru. Disabling the cruise control for this is azzanine. If the check engine light, and assorted flashing lights dont get your attention you shouldn't be driving.
Any type of emissions-related problem is going to shut down the Cruise Control and the VDC.

Why? Because the engine has to be operating at its optimum in order for those automatic functions to work properly. Once the OBD system detects a problem indicating that the engine and/or its emissions control systems are not operating properly, those automatic systems are disabled--in the interests of safety.

Surely you wouldn't want to take a chance of one of those systems malfunctioning in some strange way as you are driving at high speed.

:14:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Sounds like product liability nannies lurk inside the powertrain control module.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,872 Posts
Sounds like product liability nannies lurk inside the powertrain control module.
Why does everything have to come to this? Like the poster right above you said, in order for some any system in a modern vehicle to work properly everything related to that system needs to be in proper working order.

If there's a problem with a wheel speed sensor you can't expect the VDC to work, can you? Would you also expect the transmission to shift properly or the ABS to function?

Some of it comes down to how unobservant or distracted some people are when behind the wheel. Is someone more likely to notice the CEL light burning or that their cruise stopped working while on a trip on the highway? Not entirely related to liability concerns but also to help people properly maintain their vehicles.

I can remember when the oil pressure switch was tied to the fuel pump relay (and it may still be but in a different way). No oil pressure, no fuel delivery. This wasn't THAT long ago (early 90's, early EFI systems). Not a "nanny" but it's a protection for the engine in case the dimwit behind the wheel doesn't see the pressure drop, doesn't ALWAYS help though.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
I don't know what code was present, but last month driving PA to CO I had CEL issues. Natrually it happened on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday I kept driving West and the CEL 'fixed' itself. The dealer I attempted to contact on Saturday called me back on Monday afternoon - five minutes after the CEL came back on.

Dealer/Service said IF the CEL light was FLASHING it was too late - damage was being done. Since the CEL was not flashing the problem was minor and could be repaired when I got to CO. Tuesday AM the CEL went back off. Made it to CO without further issues.

Went to the local dealer without appointment. They said to leave it and come back in about 60 minutes. When I came back the OB had been repaired by replacing the drive belt.

The CEL might have been a result of higher than normal operating temperature if the drive belt was slipping. Outside temperatures were 100+ during the day.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
The CEL might have been a result of higher than normal operating temperature if the drive belt was slipping. Outside temperatures were 100+ during the day.
Why would a slipping drive belt cause a higher than normal operating temperature? The water pump would be most suspect in over heating if not turning at the proper rpm but the water pump is driven off the timing belt, not the drive belt, so that couldn't be the reason. The drive belt powers the alternator, PS pump and the AC compressor - not sure any of these would raise the engine temp if the belt were slipping.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still no update from subaru.

I still think it was a bad ideal to turn off the cruise and flash the brake lights for a very minor emissions failure.

On a side note I have to fix a defective evap valve on my 1996 ford thunderbird with 411000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Why would a slipping drive belt cause a higher than normal operating temperature? The water pump would be most suspect in over heating if not turning at the proper rpm but the water pump is driven off the timing belt, not the drive belt, so that couldn't be the reason. The drive belt powers the alternator, PS pump and the AC compressor - not sure any of these would raise the engine temp if the belt were slipping.
:29:

Correct!
If we were talking about...let's say...a '55 Chevy, then a slipping drive belt would definitely be linked to higher than normal operating temperatures.

But, on a modern vehicle whose water pump is driven by the timing belt, and whose radiator fans are driven by electricity, a slipping serpentine belt would not be a cause of high operating temps.

However, a slipping serpentine belt could result in the alternator putting out less of a charge than it normally does, and I suppose that it might be possible for this to have an impact on electronic devices. While this theory is probably a bit far-fetched, it is more likely than the OP's statement about a high operating temp resulting from a slipping belt.

:17:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.