Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 subaru legacy outback, 2.5l
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so 3 weeks ago i took a trip to vermont from PA and it was about a 5hr car ride. going there no problems and driving around vt, still fine.When i was ready to travel home i checked my oil and coolant and added a each as needed. but i think my coolent cap wasnt on correctly ( im an idiot and hate my self for missing this) so about 1.5 hrs into the ride home my car overheated. i pulled over added coolent put the cap on right and kept driving. Then it started overheating few miles down the road, so this time i let the car cool down added coolent and let it run threw, and it was fine for the next 3 hours. THEN about a half an hour from home it started to heat up agian. its in the shop now and i was going to get new head gasket, pump etc.. but aparteny the heads are now shot and its getting pricey to fix.
i LOVE this car and dont want to get rid of it, i know most these(all these) problems are my fault and the excess overheating ruined it, but what are my options to save her.
-new part?
-JDM swap?
please help!!
,thank you
(also im not mechanical enhough to swap engines and that stuff, but will i beable to fix this for $3000 or so??)

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
Well you can always do a 2.2 swap. I don't think that will save you any money over fixing your current engine, and let me tell you, it will be quite a bit down on power after the swap. I didn't really care about that so much, that's why I decided to go that rout with mine.
With the price you have listed there you should be able to repair it in many different ways, pretty much you name it. Less of course going with a new from the dealer crate engine. That would be around $5500+.
Good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts