Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ghost noise? I parked my 2018 OB in my garage around 5pm. Keys in coat, coat in closet. I was in my garage at 9pm, no noise. My husband went to the garage at 10pm, and my car is making a noise. It's off, has been off for hours, no one near it or keys. The noise is coming from the back end area. It almost sounds like a motor trying to activate something - whirring, mechanical noise. Not very loud, but not exactly quiet (I made a sound recording for the dealer but it won't let me post it here). There were no warning lights on dash. I locked and unlocked and it kept making the noise. Then I opened the lift gate and closed it and it stopped. I turned on the car, no warning lights, no noise. We called it a night.

Any ideas? Was the lift gate somehow trying to open? Nothing was holding it down, it could have opened but it didn't. What would prompt this hours after being turned off?

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
emissions system self test....

I'm sure someone else will be along to admonish you for not using the search function.......>:)

update: I see rasterman beat me to it.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I swear I searched and searched. I swear I did. I made it my duty to never be admonished. I failed.

This site on mobile though is stuck in the last century. It barely functions....

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and, thanks. But, if everyone here knows exactly what's up, I wonder why the service guy at the dealer told me my car had a ghost and made me an appointment. Just like the sales guy said he was unaware of wind noise issues. Ha.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I swear I searched and searched. I swear I did. I made it my duty to never be admonished. I failed.

This site on mobile though is stuck in the last century. It barely functions....
No worries. A lot of us are frustrated by the limits of the site, but we still get by.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
Oh, and, thanks. But, if everyone here knows exactly what's up, I wonder why the service guy at the dealer told me my car had a ghost and made me an appointment. Just like the sales guy said he was unaware of wind noise issues. Ha.
The service and sales people are there so you don't give them a bad review/rating. They typically have ZERO knowledge of common complaints, TSBs, or otherwise. Really pretty sad.

The manual does make for good bathroom reading though...

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
"I wonder why the service guy at the dealer told me my car had a ghost and made me an appointment.

So they could get you in the door and try to upsell you something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts