Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here and looks like a sunny day today. 90-some inches powder - Temp 27F. Arrived yesterday in the middle of blizzard; had to put CABLE chains on 05 Forester front wheels. Installers charging $ 40.00 to put them on for you. Chains are mandatory off 395 at Rt203 turn off. You can "carry" chains only if you have 4WD with snow tires! Looks like only "locals" have snow tires here. CHP has check points - never seen that here before.
If you are renting, I suggest a small "ski/snow renter" shop right in the Shell Gas station lot (first traffic light) next to the Breakfast Club. They have the lowest prices in town!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you all.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Good question about "snow tires". I would love to ask what the definition of snow tires is.
The embossed "M+S" symbol on the side of my Continentals is not a snow tire?

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
The M+S symbol is not protected, so that it is easy to put it on the tire, that is the reason why it is on allseason-tires.

The snowflake-in-a-mountain symbol (alpine symbol) is given by the "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" and is only given for real winter tires that succeded some traction tests.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
The M+S symbol is not protected, so that it is easy to put it on the tire, that is the reason why it is on allseason-tires.

The snowflake-in-a-mountain symbol (alpine symbol) is given by the "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" and is only given for real winter tires that succeded some traction tests.
Exactly right! for roads where snow tires or chains are mandatory here, the tire must have that symbol or they don't qualify as snow tires.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another 20" of powder overnight. Slopes are "empty" - where did all the people go? I had never seen so few skiers/snowboarders... Parked right in front chair lift 2 on Monday and within walking distance of Main Lodge on Tuesday. Plenty of empty lockers available. Must be the prices of lift tickets - those are out of control this year! And so are prices of food in lodges. I like the wireless remote ski lift ticket gates at each chair lift. McCoy must have poured tons of money to this resort and so did the Canadian's Intravest.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wednesday 12/26/12
US 395 : [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA] CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM 12 MI SOUTH OF OLANCHA TO LONE PINE (INYO CO) CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM LONE PINE (INYO CO) TO THE JCT OF SR 158 (MONO CO) CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM BISHOP (INYO CO) TO THE SOUTH JCT OF SR 158 (MONO CO) CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM THE SOUTH JCT OF SR 158 (MONO CO).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
32 Posts
Great picture - how did it do in the snow with the stock tires?

I bet Tahoe is getting pounded as well with snow.
Stock tires did good. The car didn't get squirrley, save for one time where I intentionally tried to push the boundaries; traction control kicked in and righted the ship.

Funny .. heading to Tahoe in a week. Then back down to Mammoth for the following week. :29:

·
Banned
23 Posts
Every other car in Truckee is a Subaru and I have never seen one wearing chains. Unless the restrictions were R3 (snow tires, 4wd AND chains) you should have been allowed to proceed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts