Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback, 2.5L 4 cylinder, manual transmission, heated seats!
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be changing my breaks soon, it's the first time I've done so on the Subaru we bought last year (not the first time I've changed breaks just on this particular vehicle). I'm learning that a lot of third party Subaru parts are crap, is that true for break pads and rotors as well?
What brand of break pads do you suggest for a car that gets a LOT of miles put on it?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
not much reason to stray away from name-brand Ceramic pads.

keep your OEM rotors unless they are already some off-brand or under the minimum thickness (if there's a 1mm thick rim at the edge - might be time for new rotors)

Centric Posiquiet Ceramic are on my 03 - no noise, long-lasting, quiet, seem to work as well as the stock pads did - not expensive.

I will probably get centric rotors when the time comes.

if it's been a while - might be a good time to change brake fluid - or at least do a heavy bleed to refresh the fluid.

plenty of threads here about brakes.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
999 Posts
Brake pads tend to wear out the same based on pad components (organic/semi-metallic/ceramic). My pads last 2-3 years but I break conservatively. Someone else in my household (I won't name names for the sake of peace at home) brakes pretty hard and the pads on the car she drives (oops) tend to last about 1-1/2 years regardless of the car. The important thing is to change them before they wear down to the pad lining. Get pads that have the wear sensors (they look like bent springs) on them. They will make a horrible grinding sound when they need to be replaced.

For the past several decades I have bought my pads and shoes from Autozone because they have a "limited lifetime" warranty. That means that if you wear them out, bring it in and they will replace it for free or if you buy a replacement set, take it home and replace them with the old pads, they will refund the purchase price on the ones you just bought when you bring in the old parts. I've never had to pay for brakes more than once on any car I've bought since then. Replacing brake pads takes 20 minutes for both sides and can be inspected when you rotate your tires or when the wear sensors make that grinding sound.

I've never had any hassles with Autozone even if I brought in pads that were worn down to the linings. At $0 cost and 20 minutes, it's a no brainer for me and I agree with 1 Lucky Texan, there is never a need to turn or replace rotors unless they are warped or thinner than DOT specs.

Whether you buy an aftermarket brand with free replacements or OEM and pay repeatedly is your own call for your own peace of mind. The extra cost is not too bad. Brakes are a very important part of your car and safety.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I haven't encountered any bad pads out there, though some are less desirable than others.

It's a different story with rotors though. There are some really crap ones out there, sometimes sold on the same brand name as good ones.

I have done ok with both Wagner and Centric rotors, but don't buy the economy grade ones from either line. Make sure they're the premium/performance/gold etc. Better metal stock, better treatments & coatings in manufacturing. They last a lot longer.

You couldn't pay me to hang Duralast parts on my car. Just too many repeats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.