Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i (fb25) with the cvt. It has a 3” lift kit, 30” all terrain tires, and other off-road mods.

I don’t have the power, throttle response, or torque that I want. Most of that is to blame on the cvt. So i am looking at manual swapping it. Also I want my outback to be a manual, bc I want it to be manual 🤷‍♂️.

Has anyone manual swapped a 4th gen outback? Or has any tips for me? I know I will need a new brake pedal, ecu, drive shaft, starter, ecu, and ofc the transmission and clutch system. Similarly do I need a new differential? Because I have the torqs limited slip diff conversion kit, but haven’t installed it yet, and don’t want to have to buy another one.

Another question, does anyone know how much horsepower or torque the 4th gen outback/legacy mt can take? Because further down the road I may plan to do some kind of forced induction.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,923 Posts
The lack of responses answers some of your Qs.

Basically you are better off buying a 6MT OB and transferring your off-road mods to the new car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a 6MT owner I wish they had paired it with the 3.6 or offered a stock turbo on the 4th gens. But we are forced to choose (or decide to live above 3,000 rpm and deal with the consequences!). In some alternate universe I will one day have the money and time to turbo charge it, or find a rear-ended Legacy GT sitting in the U-Pull it lot with 30,000 miles on the odometer and attempt a swap. That is also the universe where I have won the lottery.

Specifically for your question about how much torque the stock clutch can take, the Exedy OEM kits are different for the 2.5 turbo that went into the Legacy and the 2.5 N/A that is in the Outback, so that tells me there is at least some limit you might run into.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a 6MT owner I wish they had paired it with the 3.6 or offered a stock turbo on the 4th gens. But we are forced to choose (or decide to live above 3,000 rpm and deal with the consequences!). In some alternate universe I will one day have the money and time to turbo charge it, or find a rear-ended Legacy GT sitting in the U-Pull it lot with 30,000 miles on the odometer and attempt a swap. That is also the universe where I have won the lottery.

Specifically for your question about how much torque the stock clutch can take, the Exedy OEM kits are different for the 2.5 turbo that went into the Legacy and the 2.5 N/A that is in the Outback, so that tells me there is at least some limit you might run into.
I might just break the bank, go to a custom off-road shop and put in a small diesel or a 5.3 vortec with whatever MT will fit. But then it’s reliability is brought into serious question, and it would lose so “Subaru” blood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts