Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it all started yesterday when my clutch stopped going into gear while I was out. It only goes into gear when the car is off. I had to drive all the way home between 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. (very slow ride home). Once home I parked the car and this morning I went downstairs to see if the car would turn over but nope, Nothing. I checked my fluids and my master clutch reservoir has fluid in it but my transmission fluid was very low.

I do t know what to do. I’m not sure if it’s my clutch, fly wheel,clutch cylinder, transmission fluid. Idk

please help

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
460 Posts
Older manual tranny's were known to to locked in between gears or the shifter got jammed up in between gears.

One of the 5mt's in my GT wagon got stuck once while my tranny guy was test driving to understand an issue.

You may have left something turned on or a door not closed all the way last night when you had other things on your mind.

Have you tried jumping the battery ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. I’m going to try that in a few when I get home. If that doesn’t work what do you suggest my next step is ?

If it is locked like you mentioned, how do I unlock it ?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
it all started yesterday when my clutch stopped going into gear while I was out. It only goes into gear when the car is off.
If the transmission (I presume that's what is meant) will shift into all the gears when the engine is Off, I don't think the transmission is mechanically-locked in some way.

The inability to shift into gears with the engine running, but not when it's off can be the clutch not disengaging or the pilot bearing being seized. In regard to the clutch, the clutch fork lever is known to crack at the pivot. The master and slave cylinders work fine, but because the lever bends at the crack, it doesn't actually move the throwout bearing.

The pilot bearing seizing is relatively rare, but depending on the car's mileage and the last time the bearing was replaced, it could cause the same symptoms.

this morning I went downstairs to see if the car would turn over but nope, Nothing.
As has been suggested, verify if it's the battery. But also make sure that the transmission gear selector is in Neutral along with the clutch pedal being pressed down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While checking to see if it was the battery I noticed that the clutch pedal barely has any pressure when pushing down it comes up but There isn’t any resistance. It goes all the way to the floor and not turning over. The clutch usually has some resistance but not now. I also check the clutch cylinder and it has fluid.

·
Registered
460 Posts
But can you shift gears without the engine running ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good, lets us know what happens when you try and jump the battery.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds like the linkage at the pedal is broken. The clutch switch is right above the pedal for it. If anything supporting the clutch pedal is bent/broken, the pedal would go to the floor without engaging the master cylinder or the switch. Look up "subaru clutch switch" on youtube and you'll get plenty of videos of guys taping coins right under that switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car actually ended up starting after I charged the battery at autozone (it was completely dead).

Transmission is fine but I need a new front differential and clutch. Since the front differential is part of the transmission I ended up getting a used transmission from a salvaged 05 Outback with 133k miles (my orginal transmission has over 230k) I also purchased a new OEM exedy clutch kit. For both it cost me around $950.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do you know which light you left on in the car to kill the battery?

I gather they said the battery was fine.

Did you drive the car after you started it. Old rule was it needed to be driven 7 miles to fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the overhead door lamp was switched to on postion instead of the middle position. Im assuming that’s what killed the battery. yes battery is still good.

No after I started it I did not drive it. Its in the shop now.

Do you have any recommendations for some good manual transmission fluid ? I was looking at Royal Purple

·
Registered
460 Posts
Over the years my 2005 GT wagon has taught me to only use Motul Gear 300 since Subaru no longer makes the true Extra-S. I have used Amsoil Sever Gear, but I find the 5mt likes the Motul Gear 300 better. It'snot cheap, but IMO its the best stuff there for these 5mt's and diff's. Both my cars use it.

Now recently others on the LegacyGT forum have mentioned they have had good luck with Sever Gear.

I think the 105777 # is what I order. see next post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts