Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ouback base model manual with a smoked trans. There's a "good" looking trans at the local PickNPull and I wanted to know if it matched up?
I asked this question in an existing thread, but got no response and need to make a decision today..........
The donor car is a 1999 Legacy Wagon.
Are there any bench tests I can do when I get it out to see if it's in decent shape?
Thanks!

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Nick, I think the main issue in this case is gear ratio. Your 03' likely has 4.11 ratio transmission, does the 99? Also, the CV joints might be a little different. In your 03, do you have a pin that you knock out to get the CV out, or the internal C-clip? Does the 99 CV's match?

What is wrong with your existing transmission?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Bench Tests:

Feel for play in the shaft bearings. The movement on either end should be minimal. You should also be able to rotate the shafts by hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response so quick.
The issue with my trans is the central differential along with all the bearings etc. I used it for towing heavy stuff and it didn't like that too much. The 2003 CV axles are installed with the pinch pin at the transaxle end. I don't know the gear ratio for the 99, that's one of the things I was hoping to find out through this thread.
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2001 Outback EJ25-5MT - 406,000km, 2016 Outback Limited Tech-FB25-CVT6 - 9,000km
92 Posts
The Subaru MT's eat transfer shaft bearings. $150 or so in parts and 5 hours labour to fix. Are you sure the Centre Diff is messed up? I just hit 300,000 km and my front transfer shaft bearing went. Centre Diff was in good shape. I also tow a 2,000 lb trailer, total mileage with trailer behind is about 35,000 km.

The parts in the rear extension housing a interchangable between a lot of Subaru's. Even Phase 1 and Phase 2 parts back there can be interchanged (although all parts have to be from the same phase). If you can't find a good matching MT, perhaps find a WRX MT with broken gears. The Centre Diff and transfer shaft can be transplanted. The final drive ratio is set by the front differntial only, and it must match the rear. But the centre diff and transfer shaft have no impact to this ratio.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Yes, The Answer is, yes the 99 Outback Trans will work The OB MT5 is the same for both years Shame You lost this one, but I'[m sure there will be others. The MT Outback is 4.11 The Automatic is 4.44, Also the operation is different at the Clutch relaease but the Early WRX trans will work as well, though in my experience these are more likely to have internal problems

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Joe! I bagged another 99 out of PickNPull with 125K on it, keeping my fingers crossed it will work OK. I did have a question though. The Speed Sensor was missing from the 99 and I broke the one coming from the 2003 when I removed it. The wiring is a 3 ping oval plug going to the 2003 sensor. What years/models can I use the sensor from? I found a 98, but it was 2 wire and different shape plug. I'm ready to fire the beast up after I put in the axles and want to do it right.
Thanks!!!:29:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts