Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy Outback 2003
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, another one about this.
But the point is, where I live, we don't have literally any gen 2 Mt outback, but a VERY few manual tws.

So, here's why I want to manual swap my 02 Outback. But as far as I have read about this topic, I REALLY need the dashboard and the ecu from the donor?

I know I need the differentials, reservoirs, pedals and so, but anything beyond that is really necessary to manual swap an Outback?

And, considering that the wheelbase of the sedan and wagon are the same, can I use the transmission and etc from a sedan version on my Outback? (and I must use a g2 outback/g3 legacy do it or the g1 outback and g2 legacy are also compatible?)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L/SE Wagon (5 Speed)
179 Posts
I believe Subaru went to the phase 2 MT starting with the second gen, there's a lot of info on here, nasioc, and legacygt if you look up 6mt swaps or center diff replacements. I think this generation of outback had the ECU control parts of the automatic transmission as well, so that should be swapped from what I have read. The cluster might give you a headache if you don't swap it. Having a donor car makes things easier as you'll have to swap parts of the wiring harness too.

I've seen some use impreza transmissions too, you just have to be careful that all components of your drive train and transmission have the correct gear ratio

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
need to swap intakes (MAP vs MAF)

and Cams pulleys/ idlers around. (different # of teeth)

and ECU of course, as the car with the automatic ECU will look for data from the auto tran's TCU that is no longer there.

_____

on the sedan vs. wagon thing. fine as long as they are both outbacks H4,

as plain low slung legacy have different gear ratio.

and H6 outbacks have yet another.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
why swap? a more expensive, harder to find trans with more failure modes? synchros wear out, input shaft bearings fail, slave cylinders fail, they're a pain to bleed, clutches wear out and clutches and pressure plates and resurfacing flywheels is expensive, throw out bearings fail, torque bind is a much worse and more expensive debacle with no easy solutions at all like AT's have, and they're more annoying to hitch up to a trailer and you can't lock the center diff like you can an AT for snow/mud/offroad.

the only thing i miss is being able to push start it by popping the clutch if the battery is dead.

they have zero advantage. it also ends up being pennywise and dollar dumb to convert.

and if you do want an MT - just go buy one. fly or bus to one if you have to and sell yours. way easier and if you do it right you'll make money instead of loosing time and money. and you can get a pristine one from a no rust area for cheap usually if you have any sense at all.

i could spend the same time converting one just making $2,000 - $3,000 cash - sell my AT car -add the money I made and buy a much nicer MT than i would have ended up with swapping.

okay - so you still want to swap after my take on it, i totally understand since i'm the only guy ever to convert a Subaru to FWD automatic:

you don't need to swap the dashboard, though you'll probably want to - it's not necessary, and I'm pretty sure you don't need to swap the ECU. it has an identifier pin and can run either one. that's how they've always been, i dont' know if/when that changes, with CANBUS clearly that's another ball of worms.

what you need:
transmission
pedal assembly
cam and crank sprockets - trigger marks are different
driveshaft - it's longer on the MT's (or sleeve/weld the AT shaft to make it longer but doubtful you'll do that)
clutch control - hydraulic or you can look into converting to more reliable and simpler cable clutch.
shifter linkage

what you will probably want, but don't need to make it run:
cruise control computer if you want that to work
center console if you want it to look right and be "sealed".
dashboard if you want RPM's and to make the layout look right - P-R-D-1-C, etc.

maybe:
ECU - Subaru doesn't make AT or MT ECU's - they identify which trans and run either one. Unless i'm forgetting 00-04 are different, obviously weren't not converting CANBUS stuff here.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
maybe:
ECU - Subaru doesn't make AT or MT ECU's - they identify which trans and run either one. Unless i'm forgetting 00-04 are different, obviously weren't not converting CANBUS stuff here.
from reading what others have typed its the ROM in the ECU that needs to be reflashed,...so you need the capability to reflash or pay for a reflash

....or just grab a ECU with the manual rom in it, out of the donor car.

and to do all this work hopefully it starts with 2 whole matching cars parked side by side. (this cheapens the costs of knowing and unknowing).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Whats your take on swapping my 2000 Outback AT all wheel out for a '90 MT Dual Range Drive train?
you'll need to convert the vehicle to cable clutch and get an adapter plate:
Engine Swap Parts : EJ-EA Adapter plate

EJ engines are bolted up to EA82 (including dual range) transmissions all the time, but it's people swapping EJ engines into older Subarus, not older trans into new subarus.

there are different EA spline counts on the stubby shafts, so you'll need to verify or do a conversion for the axles to work.

or you can build a franken-transmission and swap EJ guts into EA cases and retain the dual range and proper spline counts.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
Whats your take on swapping my 2000 Outback AT all wheel out for a '90 MT Dual Range Drive train?
seen people type about some 1997-2004 Aussie / Kiwi gen 1 Forster trans being mated to a 2000-2004 legacy outback before,...rare rare import to the US,..like might have been ordered in the US and shipped from Australia.
(what they report is the low range for off roading which makes it like impossible to stall in really steep conditions,.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to the world of Subaru so go easy lol. Got myself a 2000 outback and I'm looking to swap it to MT. I've read what you said so far but I'm still curious what would be the best trans to swap in? I liked the idea of the dual range box. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts