Subaru Outback Forums banner

Manual Transmission leak pls help

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Max Capacity 
#1 ·
Right so i just bought a 2005 outback xt in a manual, great car, works great except this leak i noticed appearing in my parking spot, i had checked that car multiple times over and i know it had never leaked transmission fluid, hell when i bought it i had to switch the stock down pipe onto it so i could pass emissions. and i couldn’t see a leak. but recently parking on an incline or decline, a puddle of transmission fluid forms under my car, it looks like it may be seeping from the axles? and the shift linkage? but it leaks a lot on inclines and i’ve never noticed a drop come out on a level park? let me know anything you guys know or think it could be PLEASE

#2 ·
Check where the driveshaft comes out at the rear. You may need to remove the exhaust heat shield, but an inspection mirror should do the trick. If it was coming out of the front cv axles, I'd think you'd be able to tell. Other places to look are the drain plug and the neutral and reverse switches.

Have you been checking the level to figure out how fast/much you're losing?

#3 ·
I have been, its been a variant amount, some days i’ll notice a big puddle without filling it up with fluid, and some days it won’t drip at all, like just last night i had parked it and it leaked a good amount but the night before i didn’t see any fluid under there, i didn’t fill it up between these two days so it kinda sounds like something is out of place and i’ll park it with some sort of gap down there and it’ll leak through, but sometimes i’ll park it aligned with everything and nothing leaks through, does that sound plausible?

#15 ·
Any news on this thread? I have the same problem that was described above. When I park on a hill, my 05 outback XT leaks a lot of transmission fluid. When flat, not as much. I have replaced both cv axles recently, and that's when the issue started. Seals on both have been replaced. The problem will then go away for a day, then return after some driving. I also replaced the seal on the T70 plug thinking that maybe that was leaking, only to realize it was certainly the axles. Now that seals on those ha e been replaced, I can't tell where the leak is coming from.

#16 ·
Make sure you install the seals in the correct side, the two are different.

You can zoom in on the picture and see how the swipes are located.

Also, don't install the seal to deep.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.