Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driveshaft in my 2001 2.5L legacy outback disconnected and then destroyed my transmission. I’m having trouble finding a cheep replacement. Does anyone know the best place to find an affordable replacement transmission, or what other cars use the same transmission? So far the cheapest thing I can find is on eBay for $700

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,125 Posts
car-parts.com. look for something near your zip, then call and bargain based on mileage. just cause they have it listed at a certain price, you can negotiate down..

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,488 Posts
best bet: buy a whole wrecked legacy outback from 2000-2004.

hog the matching trans out of it, recycle what you don't want.

even a high miles one should be OK. just put a new OEM clutch kit in it.

___

alternatives: local pick / pulls or pro junk yards that can take the trans out.
I see lots of 2000-2004 cars out when I am walking in pick and pulls. (...I would not want to actually DIY pick a trans out of one though. = vs. paying $ for someone with a plasma cutter or a torch to drop it out.)

___
if you switch to a automatic, it has to be a H4 2.5 legacy outback, and you need the ECU from the donor too.

edit: subaru mixes 4.44 / 4.11/3.73 between the cars, = whatever gives the best MPG / longevity. so watch what you buy if looking at forester / impreza stuff, as you might need diffs/ axles too.
(some rare forester manuals from austraila came with the high / low, a nice alternative for the real off roader as the low is "LOW",...but you might need more parts to make it work, ...build descriptions out there for US spec, ...but rare a importer has them,...possible though)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,157 Posts
Car-part has some as low as 300 but lists as cores. 450 is the lowest I can find on there for a good condition one.

At that price finding a donor car might be worth it. They blow head gaskets all the time so when they do you can find one in that same price range and have a complete parts car for yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. The closest one on car-parts.com is 100 miles away. (I’m in twin cities, MN)

I was thinking of just getting a parts car but I’m having a really hard time finding a manual. Does anyone know what other cars had the same transmission?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts