Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that the two types of transmissions have different types of all wheel drive (viscous vs. electronic), does anyone have any opinions or experiences on which is better for off road use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used both in off road situations and found them both to be good, however if the going gets a bit tougher the auto has an advantage.You can get to the same place usually in the manual but with the low range not being much of a low range it requires things to be addressed with a bit of gusto which can result in vehicle damage.

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
auto works for me

I have an auto trans and have hammered it offroad in snow /gravel/sand/dust/mud works awesome!! no complaints. I manual shift with it using the parameters given in the owners manual. I love to do four wheel powerslide drifts in the corners!! wahoo!!!:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Scooby are U the one who has the Suby site that has more of a technical slant? If so - thanks - great information. It wa there that I found out that the Owners Manuals list an incorrect amount of oil for an oil change.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
My 5 speed shocked me one day...lot's of snow on the ground, moved to the side of the road to let a truck by, both right tires were in snow/slush...I could not move. The right tires would spin but that's all. I had to rock the car to get out of that situation. My wife's auto Baja gets out of stuff like that. The distribution is side to side also with an auto, no? Brian

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
awd

With the auto all my wheels were turning in snow I could see the snow flying!!!even when the backend was fishtailing abit. you might get yours checked out.

I did better than two Ford explorers in deep snow! I had to rescue one and pull him out and the other I helped dig him out so he could get his chains on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: awd

scooby said:
I did better than two Ford explorers in deep snow! I had to rescue one and pull him out and the other I helped dig him out so he could get his chains on.
Would make a good Ad for Soob!

I drove one of these things to deliver pizza back in the early 80's, was MT, don't remember if 4-speed or 5. It did well in several inches of snow but it definitely took some concentration while shifting.

I really like my AT so far (since day before yesterday!). I tried it out on gravel roads at a wildlife refuge, but very dry so not even any mud puddles there. Still, I could tell the tires held the road in quick turns. Best of all, it was a smooth ride. My old PU truck usually bounced and reverberated. :p

Of course, now the reverberations are audible ones. Brings back memories, been a long time since I had a hatchback type of car. I know what reviewers were saying now about the excessive noise, but even a Ford Fairlane wagon and Chevy Spectrum hatchback I had was like that. My Ford F150 with canopy and Sonoma extended cab were not.

This Subaru Impreza Outback Sport might be the best vehicle I've ever owned. In fact, my first cars were the old family station wagon (a '70 Chevy Kingswood), a '74 Vega (also bought from Dad), and '69 Toyota Corona. Each had their good points though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
bheinz57 said:
My 5 speed shocked me one day...lot's of snow on the ground, moved to the side of the road to let a truck by, both right tires were in snow/slush...I could not move. The right tires would spin but that's all. I had to rock the car to get out of that situation. My wife's auto Baja gets out of stuff like that. The distribution is side to side also with an auto, no? Brian

Just curious if you have rear LSD?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Cannonball
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing