Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a notification it was out today, and sure enough, brand new as of 12/6/2019! Does anyone know how to access a changelog? I really hope this fixes the issue with Siri Handsfree since iOS 13 came out. Mine has been SUPER flaky; I routely get, "Please hold... please hold...." then failure when I try to send a text or make a call over the Bluetooth system in the car. Downloading now!

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
when the Technical Service Bulletin is released, it usually has the conditions the firmware will address/fix. Didn't see it listed yet. It should show up soon if the firmware update is released.

Once the TSB shows up, if you're really curious you can pay $35 for access and then download it... or, give it 5 weeks or so after the TSB is released and it will show up on the NHTSA website and you can get it there for no charge.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R (previously 2013 Outback 2.0TD 6MT, 2007 Outback 2.5 Premium 5MT, 2004 Outback 2.5 5MT, 1998 Legacy GT VDC Wagon, 1992 Legacy GT S2 Sedan)
36 Posts
Just installed (Oceania version). It appeared to have reset the home screen icons, but it had just turned off the Home screen shortcuts option. Turn that back on in Settings/General and you get your customised icon arrangement back. No obvious changes or fixes. It still turns on the radio when you stop the engine with Carplay plugged in ?.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
133 Posts
Just installed it, noticed all my FM and XM presets were still there .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
48 Posts
I will install tomorrow. Not expecting any improvements in the headunit. It is a map update, not a new software.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring, 2019 Crosstrek Limited, 2005 WRX
259 Posts
I'm curious to see if anyone installs this over wifi and how it worked out in terms of tie taken, etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like both software version and maps were updated

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've ran across various posts, both on this forum as well as the subaruxvforum.com forum, where it's been mentioned that a particular version only updates the maps or only updates the firmware, etc. I've never seen a TSB that supports these assertions at all. Does anyone have proof that Subaru ever released an update that only updated the maps?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like the Wifi feature for the 2018 still not working. Tried it first and it said no updates

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I've ran across various posts, both on this forum as well as the subaruxvforum.com forum, where it's been mentioned that a particular version only updates the maps or only updates the firmware, etc. I've never seen a TSB that supports these assertions at all. Does anyone have proof that Subaru ever released an update that only updated the maps?
The only reference I can find of something like that was the September and October revisions in 2018 of the 15-211-17R TSB. For release 18.22.20 there was a map update that changed the displayed firmware number. It could be either 18.22.20 OR 18.30.20

The latest revision of the TSB (15-211-17R) for the 2018 units have separated out possible map updates from the firmware update (it was revised 10/01/2019). BUT, the firmware version is unchanged, there is simply an instruction that the update the dealer performs is a firmware update ONLY, if there are map updates, grab a different file to deploy those via USB. The TSB for the firmware update still has the instruction "Confirm the current Software Version ID. If the Current Version is Rel_A1.19.12.20 OR Rel_A1.19.17.20, STOP as this latest update has already been installed."

The TSBs reference the files found on Subarunet, not the ones from Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) download or Subaru-maps. Highlighting is from subaru to mark revisions.

BUT, the instructions for the FOTA for the 2018/2019 also say that if the firmware is up to date, but the maps are not up to date, then to follow the instructions in part 2 of the FOTA instructions, which is to download the USB version from Subaru-maps and perform the USB update to get the latest maps (since your firmware would be up to date). The instructions don't explicitly indicate that the versions of the firmware displayed would change for a map update, it only indicates that your maps would be updated (there is a separate Navi database version number, so I would think the firmware would stay the same, but I haven't seen any indication one way or the other).

Here is the sheet from the FOTA instructions for the 2018 you can find at the vehicle resources section of the owners' resources page from subaru. Note the second bullet point about updating maps if the firmware is up to date.

2019-12-07 12 03 49.png

Link to the FOTA instructions Here

So at least once in the past there has been an update that updated the maps only that a customer might have performed.

Here is the rough release date schedules going back to October 2017. NOTE: the release dates are for the firmware, not availability for public download (that takes another 4-5 weeks). Firmware numbering is [build year].[build week].[build version patch] so [year 2019].[week 45].[build version patch 20] becomes 19.45.20

October 2017 (week 43) - firmware 17.43.20 / 17.43.30
May/June 2018 (week 22) - firmware 18.22.20
July 2018 (week 30) - map only? 18.30.20
October 2018 (week 43) - firmware 18.43.20
March 2019 (week 12) - firmware 19.12.20
November 2019 (week 45) - firmware 19.45.20 (from this thread)

I attached the September 2018 TSB with that text, and the current October 2019 TSB release (since I referenced them above). I'm guessing there should be a new revision coming out shortly, it is a bit odd it doesn't show up on the subaru techinfo site.

None of it addresses what has changed with the latest release though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
14 Posts
Not available yet in my region (Oregon). Just did the check for updates. Says software is up to date. On A1.19.17.20

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks like the Wifi feature for the 2018 still not working. Tried it first and it said no updates
Same here. My 2018 Touring is running A1.19.17.20 and when checking for updates via wifi it reports none are available. The on-line map downloader states that A1.19.45.20 IS available.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
48 Posts
System claims software up to date. Got an email saying new update for maps released and haven't installed yet. Will see if any numbers re software version will change after the update.

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
76 Posts
Downloaded nav update last night, will install tomorrow. Software is up to date.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
548 Posts
Has the ‘18 ever supported OTA updates? I’m not aware of any and haven’t seen any posts from ‘18 owners jumping with jubilation about it. All of mine has been thru the software and a USB stick.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Has the ‘18 ever supported OTA updates? I’m not aware of any and haven’t seen any posts from ‘18 owners jumping with jubilation about it. All of mine has been thru the software and a USB stick.
yes. There was a thread where a member had a 2018 premium, and posted about performing the OTA update. That was a few months back. That trim didn't have Navigation, so owner's can't get the USB files for it through the subaru-maps method.

Here is another with 2018 over the air updates...

at the subaru vehicle resources part of the website for the 2018, the instructions were posted last week....

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
76 Posts
I installed today, took about 20 min. New software update was there too. no noticeable changes yet,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts