Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 White 2.5 Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the following email from Subaru a few days ago. It's similar, but slightly different, than the email in the "2019 Starlink Map Update" thread from a few months ago (2019 Starlink Map Update). Hence this new thread ...

My vehicle specs: 2019 Outback Premium; 8 inch display; no Navigation; no Starlink subscription; current SXM subscription.

The link takes me to a PDF, which I've attached. The PDF says this applies to "2019 and 2020 Ascent, Forester, Crosstrek, Impreza, BRZ, WRX/STI and 2019 Outback and Legacy (with 7-inch or 8-inch display)".

It seems like I'm a candidate, since no mention is made of needing to have a Nav unit and/or a paid subscription to Starlink. When I check my software version, I'm at 19.22.70, so it seems I'm behind. But, when I try to execute on the instructions in the PDF, the best I get is a "Download Failed. Retry?" splash screen. After hitting "OK" on this screen, nothing happens. No progress bar, no error messages, no confirmation messages. Nothing. I've got a good WiFi connection, evidenced by a full compliment of bars.

Anybody seen anything like this? Is this really only meant for somebody with a Starlink paid subscription? If it were, you'd think I'd get an error message that was more informative than "Download Failed."

--- email below ---

A SUBARU STARLINK® software update is available for your Outback. Take advantage of the latest software enhancements to improve your driving experience.

This update contains overall improvements including:

STARLINK performance and stability improvements
Voice Recognition improvements
SiriusXM Severe Weather Alerts can now be customized or turned off:
Settings → General → SXM Settings
This update also includes in the following bug fixes:

SiriusXM preset loss
Bluetooth phone call volume improvements
Enhanced CD (e-CD) play issues
Phonebook download issues from a paired smartphone
When the ignition switch is turned on, music in USB memory goes reverts to track 1
When the ignition switch is turned on, ‘Invalid Destination Code’ message
Please follow the link below for instructions and helpful tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
696 Posts
I didn't get this email. I wonder if it would.apply for either of my vehicles. I have a 19 Outback premium 2/ nav so 8" screen but no HK system. I have a 19 WRX with nav & HK system so 7" screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Subaru has listed two troubleshooting steps elsewhere... one is to make sure the date and time are correct on the car (set them manually if not)... also to make sure you have a strong WiFi signal. I think those are if it comes back and says the update failed, not that there are no updates available... but there is another thread where Subaru tech support gave that reply to a similar problem.

Resetting the head unit to the factory defaults might work... but then you’d have to setup all your customizations again (and radio presets) once you were done.

·
Registered
2019 White 2.5 Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Checked both those. Time is correct, and the WiFi signal indication is strong as it can be.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
ok, yeah I had the same problem, 8" Non Nav, and it was frustrating for a couple of days. Eventually though I figured it out. What is puzzling is that they don't tell you what you really have to do. there is no need to reset the head unit. Once you download and execute the update the head unit will reset itself. None of my personal settings were affected.
Turn off temporarily the auto check for updates in vehicle settings.
In my case I do not use Bluetooth for anything so that was turned off. I have an Iphone and use it via USB chord. So I disconnected that.
Download the AHA app from Harmon to your cell phone. Then you have to log in to AHA with an email and password and authenticate it.
Then you have to turn on Bluetooth and pair to the car. I refused the download contacts etc. only because I don't use the phone with the car that way.
So now you have AHA hooked up to your iphone and running with the car App as well
Then I turned on wifi and got my connection.
Then turn on auto check for updates in the car settings
Then tap check for updates
bingo the download began and executed I think it took about 10 minutes total. Checked the system settings and the new update was executed.
Then I turned off Bluetooth, signed out of AHA on the phone, deleted the AHA app, turned off auto check for updates, plugged my iphone back in and all was well.

that's what worked for me under these particular settings and my phone and car set up. YMMV.
good luck.

·
Registered
2019 White 2.5 Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, yeah I had the same problem, 8" Non Nav, and it was frustrating for a couple of days. Eventually though I figured it out. What is puzzling is that they don't tell you what you really have to do. there is no need to reset the head unit. Once you download and execute the update the head unit will reset itself. None of my personal settings were affected.
In my case I do not use Bluetooth for anything so that was turned off. I have an Iphone and use it via USB chord. So I disconnected that.
Download the AHA app from Harmon to your cell phone. Then you have to log in to AHA with an email and password and authenticate it.
Then you have to turn on Bluetooth and pair to the car. I refused the download contacts etc. only because I don't use the phone with the car that way.
So now you have AHA hooked up to your iphone and running with the car App as well
bingo the download began and executed I think it took about 10 minutes total. Checked the system settings and the new update was executed.
Then I turned off Bluetooth, signed out of AHA on the phone, deleted the AHA app, turned off auto check for updates, plugged my iphone back in and all was well.

that's what worked for me under these particular settings and my phone and car set up. YMMV.
good luck.
Crazy, but this seemed to work. At least it seemed to get me through the download/update process, and my System Info now shows 19.36.70. So I guess I'm good to go. I did get the "Download Failed. Retry?" splash a couple of times after I completed the process though. Strange. What a bizarre (and needlessly complex) update process. Anyway, thanks for your help, BerkeeAJ.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,074 Posts
I show Rel_UA.19.42.70 on my 2019

·
Registered
2011 Premium, 2019 Limited
15 Posts

good luck.
Is this the AHA music app? I searched for 'Harmon AHA' and did not find an app.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts