Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The full size spare came in handy this past weekend. Now I need to figure out whether to replace the damaged tire (plugged it and it holds air, but damage to the sidewalk has me concerned...being on dirt and going slow I didn’t notice the noise and as toms light was already one (lowered pressures for dirt), it didn’t catch my eye immediately), or keep it and resort to it only as an emergency, low speed spare.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So... I've now got about 23k on the car. Still enjoying it.

At the 15k oil change I had alignment checked and it was off (I've got sheets, I'll post later). Tires were starting to wear unevenly (Conti Terrain Contacts, 245/65R17, usually run at 35/33 psi).

20k oil change...alignment off again. Interesting. I don't do any serious off roading, just dirt roads and stuff in N GA, if that (was out once I think between 15k and 20k). At 20k tires were showing some serious weird wear...two were down to about 3/32 on the outside shoulder, but the "meat" of the tire was still looking ok, but starting to approach the amount of difference between some that made me uncomfortable.

Drove from ATL-->Waco, TX-->ATL...

Went by shop that installed the lift for a suspension check...just make sure nothing is broken or glaringly wrong or anything, and they say all looks good.

Decided to pull the trigger on new tires. Alignment out again (a little over 22k miles at this point). Got new tires and lifetime alignment. Going to have the alignment checked later this week, and will be starting a thread to troubleshoot most likely, as I'm really not sure WTF to think at this point.

Really liking the new tires though. Yokohama Geolander G015's in 245/65R17. Running them at 38/35.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,485 Posts
So... I've now got about 23k on the car. Still enjoying it.

At the 15k oil change I had alignment checked and it was off (I've got sheets, I'll post later). Tires were starting to wear unevenly (Conti Terrain Contacts, 245/65R17, usually run at 35/33 psi).

20k oil change...alignment off again. Interesting. I don't do any serious off roading, just dirt roads and stuff in N GA, if that (was out once I think between 15k and 20k). At 20k tires were showing some serious weird wear...two were down to about 3/32 on the outside shoulder, but the "meat" of the tire was still looking ok, but starting to approach the amount of difference between some that made me uncomfortable.

Drove from ATL-->Waco, TX-->ATL...

Went by shop that installed the lift for a suspension check...just make sure nothing is broken or glaringly wrong or anything, and they say all looks good.

Decided to pull the trigger on new tires. Alignment out again (a little over 22k miles at this point). Got new tires and lifetime alignment. Going to have the alignment checked later this week, and will be starting a thread to troubleshoot most likely, as I'm really not sure WTF to think at this point.
I had mine aligned when the lift was installed at 5k and now have 55k.

I've had the factory 225/60/18 tires on it. Which I sold with the factory wheels to a user here.

They were still basically new.

245/65/17 BFG KO2's which I sold local used to a Jeep Grand Cherokee owner. They were more worn because I carried them over from the 2015 I had and I had those on for 15k.

But plenty of life and even wear.

245/65/17 Falken AT3s which I still use.

No uneven wear.

225/60/18 Michelin X Ice 3 which are in the garage with even wear. They actually came from the 2015 too.

No uneven wear.

Something is wrong with your ride bubby.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Something is wrong with your ride bubby.
Yeah, needed to start with a fresh slate to at least track and be able to pinpoint a specific issue, see if it’s a specific wheel or what. I’ll post up my sheets from the alignments later, probably in a troubleshooting thread, and see if I can get some feedback or suggestions as I’m not super well versed in how the different components can effect alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Still tracking the alignment issues. Thread on that topic over here... https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2018-3-6r-alignment-woes.513126/#post-5861081

Over this past year, I have twice suffered from a pretty severe muscle pull in my back. Lowering and lifting a 60lb wheel/tire was not helping. So, made a change... Still dislike just how far away it sits from the car, but being able to carry Rotopax here helps for sure. Much easier to get the Trasharoo on/off too. I am unable to run the provided wedge-lock, as the depth of the Ecohitch does not allow the pin holes to line up, so testing out a u-bolt hitch tightener with it.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Almost to 36k. Haven't experienced any more alignment issues since getting it done and checked consistently by my local Subaru shop, AllPro Subaru. They've been doing my oil changes (synthetic) every 5k as well. Had the seat bottom replaced once again under warranty for the seat squeak issue, as it was originally done before the TSB regarding use of teflon washers in certain spots came out (early 2019, according to my dealer). Still enjoying the car. With another baby on the way, we're going to be itching for more room in the future though, I think...

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
405 Posts
. With another baby on the way, we're going to be itching for more room in the future though, I think...

I hear ya, we have 2 kids and an 80lb dog now and the Outback is getting tight. I love the car and don't want to get rid of it but I had to buy an older Suburban for longer trips with everyone. The wife and I both like the feel of the Subaru better but cant figure out a good space for everyone, so an Ascent may be in the future in the next couple years when they are more used.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm initially planning to get a set of Toyo tires but seeing that Yokohama Geolandar made me reconsider my decision.
There's several good A/T options out there for us, and luckily you should be able to find some feedback on most of them by now. The BFG K02 and the Yoko G015's seem to still be "standards" with the Wild Peaks moving up the list in the last year or so.

I hear ya, we have 2 kids and an 80lb dog now and the Outback is getting tight. I love the car and don't want to get rid of it but I had to buy an older Suburban for longer trips with everyone. The wife and I both like the feel of the Subaru better but cant figure out a good space for everyone, so an Ascent may be in the future in the next couple years when they are more used.
Yep, our last road trip and week away we had the car pretty full with just the 3 of us (and no rooftop storage). So we'll see what happens. The wife would like to replace her TDI Sportwagon with a Telluride, but doesn't want to give up parking in the garage either, so not sure that'll happen just yet. I might honestly be leaning more towards a truck, myself... But who knows. Sadly, good gas mileage, plenty of room for the whole family and all the "stuff" don't go hand in hand....

61 - 70 of 70 Posts