Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone put Marvel Mystery Oil in their Gas or Oil. Ive worked with a few guys who say it really keeps the engine clean to the point it looks new on a teardown. Is it worth using?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
I could see it helping some 100 year old agricultural engines, but it's worthless on anything made since then.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
I have heard more folks like it in the fuel, for it's UCL properties, than in the oil.

But I am VERY cautious of any oil additives.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
MMO does its best in the fuel tank as it lubricates the pump and helps keep the back of the valves a little cleaner.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
...it really keeps the engine clean to the point it looks new on a teardown.
Maybe you should ask them why their engines needed a teardown --
especially when it revealed that everything inside was "like new?"

I've been driving since 1960, millions of miles, and many cars with
200k-plus -- but NONE of those engines ever needed "a teardown."

...a fool and her money are soon courted,

Looby

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
Check out "bobistheoilguy" site for endless talk about MMO.

Its red.
It smells good.
Its cheap.:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never Never Never put any type of conditioner or Oil treatment into your engine. All these are is snake oil..
As far as injector/fuel cleaner I have always trusted BG 44K.

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
It does no harm...but it probably doesn't do much good either.

The ONLY thing it really "hurts" is your wallet...there is no solid particulate in it like others(RESTORE in particular), which you MUST avoid in any vehicle with VVT as they will clog the fine screens on some CPAS units.

As a fuel additive...it's tantamout to the Lucas product, but much cheaper.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Does anyone put Marvel Mystery Oil in their Gas or Oil. Ive worked with a few guys who say it really keeps the engine clean to the point it looks new on a teardown. Is it worth using?
What do you care how clean it is in there, if you never have to go there? In other words, what are you trying to fix?

If you have some indication that the fuel injection needs cleaning, Chevron Techron is about as good as it gets.....BMW and General Motors both sell it with their own labels on the bottles. But, if you use decent gasoline, something very close to it is already in there. So, the problem will not come up.

If you have a carbon problem, Techron may or may not help. MM oil may lubricate valve stems. But I have not seen a sticky valve in a regularly operated engine in 20+ years.

The fuel and oil we have available in the present day is much better at keeping our engines clean internally than at any point in the past. With the exception of ethanol, the fuel is flat better than it has ever been......Even if the old stuff did smell better.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
Maybe you should ask them why their engines needed a teardown --
especially when it revealed that everything inside was "like new?"

I've been driving since 1960, millions of miles, and many cars, with
200k-plus -- but NONE of those engines ever needed "a teardown."

...a fool and her money are soon courted,

Looby
Well, I have two years less of driving experience than you, but that set aside, I had never the need for any engine teardown either. And if you consider that nobody in Europe has ever heard of MMO, and that those Mercedes Taxi diesels run for close to 500k miles and all without MMO.

I think that MMO is only advantageous for the dealer and the manufacturer of it. If it would be really great, Consumer Report would have tested and recommended it, like they did with synthetic oil after tearing down several NY City taxi engines for an oil comparison between dino and synthetic..

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Well, I have two years less of driving experience than you, but that set aside, I had never the need for any engine teardown either. And if you consider that nobody in Europe has ever heard of MMO, and that those Mercedes Taxi diesels run for close to 500k miles and all without MMO.

I think that MMO is only advantageous for the dealer and the manufacturer of it. If it would be really great, Consumer Report would have tested and recommended it, like they did with synthetic oil after tearing down several NY City taxi engines for an oil comparison between dino and synthetic..
I do believe that MMO has its place.......In small engines, for lawnmowers and snowblowers, that are operated infrequently. Also good for soaking stuck rings in tractors that have sat for a few years........In a daily driver car or MC engine, not so much.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I did use it a long time back on an older car V8 many miles with oil use issues and felt like it was dieing, I have got to say it did help the oil use and after a short time it did free up the engine a bit and I DID notice it had More power. All that being said I would not use it in a good running engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts