Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 H6 3.0 with 153K miles that has a worsening oil leak. There is oil dripping from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine, towards the rear. No overheating issues, and HG was fine at last inspection. I looked at the oil cooler/oil filter area, and there are no signs of a leak there, nor in the pan. So it's probably the valve cover gaskets, but can one side wear out quicker than the other side? Because that seems to be what's happening here. Or am I missing another potential leak site?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,387 Posts
Sometimes a dirty PCV valve can build up pressure and make oil leak from things like valve cover gaskets. At your mileage it might be worth checking and either cleaning or replacing the valve if that hasn't been done.

Reactions: LarsBang

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
valve covers on these will leak at some point, put up with it if you can, valve covers, plug Orings.,
(2 inner, 2 outer, and 6 orings,....= same oring maybe sold in a pack of 4 for the EJ255 turbo, so watch your quantities.

a good time to do the spark plugs if you are at the interval.

@Brucey did a video recently and likes 700 degree F, permatex grey for the job. 3.35oz is enough.

Permatex 27036 Optimum Grey Gasket Maker 3.35 oz, = about $9.00

here is the link, out of the car as the engine was between the donor and the baja at the time. (whereas every other H6 lover just jacks one side of the engine at a time,...other posts about that here somewhere)

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,085 Posts
Have you checked to see that the bolts are properly torqued down? Years ago, i had a bit of leaking, and snugging up the bolts a tiny bit resolved the leak. Don't go overboard, just make sure they aren't loose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your advice. I will definitely check the bolts to see if they are sufficiently torqued. I believe that the main source of my problems, as SilverOnyx suggested, is the PCV valve. To even begin to look at it, I had to clean off a lot of accumulated crud on that side of the engine. I was going to try cleaning the valve first, then ordering a replacement. In trying to remove the hose, however, it was was so brittle that it snapped in two places. I removed the washer fluid reservoir to get at the PCV valve more easily, but it still took a lot of elbow grease and colorful language to loosen the hose clamp that secured the hose to the valve. Compared to that struggle, the valve came out relatively easily, and it was, as suspected, dirty and worn well beyond its useful life.

The H6 of this vintage is getting harder to find parts for locally, but after a long search online, I found a dealer a couple of hours from me that had the Genuine Subaru PCV valve and hose in stock, so I should get them in a couple of days after they ship it to me tomorrow. I'm guessing that replacing these parts will dramatically improve, if not fully eliminate, the oil consumption issue.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
The H6 of this vintage is getting harder to find parts for locally, but after a long search online, I found a dealer a couple of hours from me that had the Genuine Subaru PCV valve and hose in stock, so I should get them in a couple of days after they ship it to me tomorrow. I'm guessing that replacing these parts will dramatically improve, if not fully eliminate, the oil consumption issue.
typical at this age that the pcv hose gets brittle and easily broken even to check it.
but glad you went with a OEM Pcv as a aftermarket may not perform exactly in spec.

I buy subaru parts from amazon subaru dealers. and now rockauto is getting some too.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
283 Posts
typical at this age that the pcv hose gets brittle and easily broken even to check it.
but glad you went with a OEM Pcv as a aftermarket may not perform exactly in spec.

I buy subaru parts from amazon subaru dealers. and now rockauto is getting some too.
Does non-OEM PCV valves perform that much differently?

(asks the guy that got an OEM PCV valve....)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Does non-OEM PCV valves perform that much differently?

(asks the guy that got an OEM PCV valve....)
seen weird things in used engines. (like a aftermarket one that does not even resemble the OEM).

and as that little schrader valve controls the whole engine, and sets the baseline for all problems, one should not be "penny wise and pound foolish".

I try not to keep one past 35,000 miles. (its a wear part that gets dirty and spring fatigue,...not on the maint. schedule, just like a rad cap and a thermostat also with spring steel).

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5
283 Posts
seen weird things in used engines. (like a aftermarket one that does not even resemble the OEM).

and as that little schrader valve controls the whole engine, and sets the baseline for all problems, one should not be "penny wise and pound foolish".

I try not to keep one past 35,000 miles. (its a wear part that gets dirty and spring fatigue,...not on the maint. schedule, just like a rad cap and a thermostat also with spring steel).
True that. Lol It's not expensive to go OEM on the PCV valve either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts