Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have done this a number of times with non-Subbys. Used alignment tool, everything in line, can draw it in with bolts to 1/2 inch and can no longer turn engine over. Back bolts off and it releases. Tranny input shaft definitely in clutch plate. What is going wrong?

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
928 Posts
Alignment has to be off.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,851 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,549 Posts
Are the pilots ( the round snout on the end of the shaft that plugs into the back of the crankshaft) of the 2 tranny's input shafts the same diameter and length?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry new to the forum. Car is a 2008 Outback with a 2.5i N/A Vin is 4S4BP61C686315096.

Alignment must be off must be right but all cap screws hit perfectly and start fine. The reveal between the transmission and bell housing is perfect. The alignment tool fit perfectly. Has to be a problem with tranny input shaft going into pilot bearing. Pulling it apart now to see if any marks.

Thanks for the responses.

Ted

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Silly question but did you check that the flywheel pilot bearing slides onto end of gearbox imput shaft easily before pressing it into flywheel.
or perhaps may need to press / tap bearing further into flywheel in order to get everything to close up. (may need to do some measurements 1st)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved. Thanks all. Alignment tool I bought had a 1/2" pilot bearing stub, pilot bearing was 5/8" I put the alignment tool in and tightened the pressure plate never checking. The 1/16" interference raised ****. No damage except to my pride!!

Ted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts