Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the threads I've found on this subject are several years old; maybe it's time for some current data?

My venerable Therm-a-Rest CampRest sleeping pad has finally given up the ghost, and I've got a car-camping event coming up in a couple of weeks so I need to replace it pretty quickly... What are folks using for in-car snoozing nowadays?

Reactions: LogicalPosition

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
Here's a recent one:

I went with a rugged camping mattress from Exped because I wanted something that packed down reasonably well while being as durable as possible so I could occasionally throw it on the ground or in a lean-to if needed. It fits perfectly (doesn't get squeezed between the wheel wells) but was discontinued. Last I looked, all the similar 2-person camping mattresses I could find were significantly wider.

If you're looking for a single-person option, there's a ton out there, I'd suggest heading to your local camping gear store to try some out. My most recent purchase was a Thermarest Luxury Map. Excellent quality and very comfortable for something that's only an inch or two thick.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
644 Posts
I've been using a 3" REI air mattress for several years. I don't think they even sell it anymore but I'm sure they still have something comparable.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, Magnetite Gray
83 Posts
I second both of the options above. Exped makes some awesome 3” and 4” mattresses and REI has now made their own version of the 3” mattress. I use mine both in the Outback and in my roof top tent. Super comfy and warm when you need it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i in Wilderness Green
74 Posts
I'd just add that if it's just yourself sleeping in the car then go for a "single" size not the "king single" as it will take up too much width of your storage space.

I've already made the mistake and it's not exactly a cheap one, bought a self inflating Zempire Monstamat in king single size specifically for the car without thinking it through too much. It's just that bit too wide to give you space for a decent size fridge and other storage boxes. It's not like you're aiming for 5 star comfort here to stretch out and roll around anyway.

The self inflating mattresses offer very good comfort though for lying on and can be rolled up reasonably small.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just add that if it's just yourself sleeping in the car then go for a "single" size not the "king single" as it will take up too much width of your storage space.
Oh, I know that. This isn't my first sleeping pad; before it's demise, I'd camped on my CampRest for eons.

I'm just wondering what the new "State of the Mart" is these days, since I last went camp-bed shopping in the late 1980s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot to mention that we also bought this

We got it because I thought it would be perfect for our road trip but they were not comfortable enough for both me and my wife. That’s why we got the other sleeping pad. If you are lighter and shorter than us 5’9 and 160lbs or less it might work for you.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,608 Posts
All the threads I've found on this subject are several years old; maybe it's time for some current data?

My venerable Therm-a-Rest CampRest sleeping pad has finally given up the ghost, and I've got a car-camping event coming up in a couple of weeks so I need to replace it pretty quickly... What are folks using for in-car snoozing nowadays?
Luno Life SUV mattress, it’s custom fit for Subaru and works great and can hold over 600lbs.

When I bought my V2 version they gave me a discount code happy to pass on 10% off in link above.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,608 Posts
My wife and I slept in our 2016 Outback with this sleeping pad last year on our cross country road trip. I'm 6ft tall and about 180 lbs. I can't give up any info about my wife but we are comfortable enough. It's a bit stiff so compressing it to put it away takes some time.

KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad Foam Mattress
My v1.0 sleeping system was based on the similar Kamp-Rite mattress. I found fit pretty well between the Outback’s wheel wells.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
Oh, I know that. This isn't my first sleeping pad; before it's demise, I'd camped on my CampRest for eons.

I'm just wondering what the new "State of the Mart" is these days, since I last went camp-bed shopping in the late 1980s.
"State of the art" will depend on your intended usage - if you only plan to use it in the car, then you can get away with something less expensive. But you mentioned looking to replace a Therm-a-Rest. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but I'd assume it was one of their typical high quality, rugged mattresses. Those tend to be a bit more expensive, but they can tolerate a lot more abuse than something essentially intended for indoor use. Therm-a-Rest is still a highly regarded brand, so I'd say state-of-the-art would still apply to their products.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got it because I thought it would be perfect for our road trip but they were not comfortable enough for both me and my wife. That’s why we got the other sleeping pad. If you are lighter and shorter than us 5’9 and 160lbs or less it might work for you.
Interesting concept. Maybe with an inch and a half of memory foam on top of it... I haven't weighed 160 lbs. since 7th Grade, back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth.

I do have one of the elusive 2015 Subaru/Pendleton Ntn'l Park blankets in my sleeping kit. (yay me!)

Reactions: bobolified

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But you mentioned looking to replace a Therm-a-Rest. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but I'd assume it was one of their typical high quality, rugged mattresses.
The CampRest was Therm-A-Rest's top-end expedition pad, back in The Day; it was long and wide and thick and heavy (relatively speaking), but it was mos'def the Cadillac sleeping experience. The other day I happened to put hands on the current crop of Therm-A-Rests at my local REI, and none of 'em was anywhere close to feeling as thick 'n' luxurious as the old CampRest.

·
Registered
'16 3.6R
121 Posts
Whenever I see platform bed builds in overlanding threads, it seems more often than not people are using memory foam-style mats or bed toppers. I too have been camping and backpacking on my trusty 1" thermarest for eons and still use it often. However, when I camp in-car, I now borrow my kid's 2" memory foam mattress that he uses in his reading corner. Compared to the thermarest, it's much more "bed-like," is quieter when tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position, is less likely to have my sleeping bag slide off it if on a slope, and just generally more comfortable. It takes up a ton of room, so I only use it if I'm camping solo or with one other person, but man it adds a touch of luxury to the whole experience. Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
The CampRest was Therm-A-Rest's top-end expedition pad, back in The Day; it was long and wide and thick and heavy (relatively speaking), but it was mos'def the Cadillac sleeping experience. The other day I happened to put hands on the current crop of Therm-A-Rests at my local REI, and none of 'em was anywhere close to feeling as thick 'n' luxurious as the old CampRest.
Heh, ok, maybe you need to be a little more specific about what it is you're looking for. Dimensions - single or double? Does it need to pack down into something relatively compact? REI carries a lot of stuff geared towards backpacking - I wouldn't expect them to have much that doesn't at least pack down reasonably well - I suspect that's what 99% of their customers come looking for.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh, ok, maybe you need to be a little more specific about what it is you're looking for. Dimensions - single or double? Does it need to pack down into something relatively compact? REI carries a lot of stuff geared towards backpacking - I wouldn't expect them to have much that doesn't at least pack down reasonably well - I suspect that's what 99% of their customers come looking for.
Oh, I know REI... I've been a member since back when membership numbers only had seven digits (and my number begins with a 1). I checked out the new BaseCamp and LuxuryMap pads from Therm-A-Rest, and in my opinion they weren't quite up to the CampRest standard. The closest thing I saw to the CampRest sizewise was the BaseCamp pad. They must have changed the foam over the years... I didn't have the moxie to try out the MondoKing; maybe I should have? (vbg!)

I don't need a double-wide, but I'm a Rather Large Gentleman® and I do tend to sprawl in my sleep so the wider the single pad is, the better. If I can keep the LH rear seat upright and only flop down the RH seat, so much the better.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whenever I see platform bed builds in overlanding threads, it seems more often than not people are using memory foam-style mats or bed toppers. I too have been camping and backpacking on my trusty 1" thermarest for eons and still use it often. However, when I camp in-car, I now borrow my kid's 2" memory foam mattress that he uses in his reading corner....
I hear ya. I'm beginning to think the solution for me will be to get a decent new XL pad of some flavor and top it with an inch and a half of gel-type memory foam.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
Yeah, while it does roll into something reasonably compact, the Base Camp pad sacrifices some packability for comfort. Adding a foam layer might get you there - I've seen these guys recommended for custom mattresses and toppers:

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
My wife and I slept in our 2016 Outback with this sleeping pad last year on our cross country road trip. I'm 6ft tall and about 180 lbs. I can't give up any info about my wife but we are comfortable enough. It's a bit stiff so compressing it to put it away takes some time.

KingCamp Deluxe Series Thick Self Inflating Camping Sleeping Pad Foam Mattress
The bed above is $140 and, according to you, more comfortable than the bed below at $650. Help me out with the logic of why anybody would want the bed below. Or did you put the first bed on top of the second bed?

I forgot to mention that we also bought this

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts