Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings - I've implemented this plan the last few years of driving my outback which I've outfitted with michelin ice-x/2's only in the winter. one of the parameters is that I try to time when I switch cars so the outback is on the road when the average daily high temp is below 45F.

I made this choice based on info I read that above that temperature, the compound which quality snow tires are made of is just wasted, wears extremely fast, the tire's stability is reduced, etc.

In general, and for Mich ice-X/2 in particular, is this a reasonable guideline ? Trying to time my car swap for this autumn and wondering if I'm being over-cautious.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
That has been my general guideline. When it is about 40F or below, it was winter tire time.

I miss having a spare set of winter wheels and tires.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I've used 50F as my guide, but then I usually let some days pass between first noticing that temp and actually getting the tires mounted, so it probably works out about the same.

I'm hanging my snows next week, then flying to sunny southern California for a few weeks. I'll be all set in case I return home to snowmageddon III or whatever twitter calls it this year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I have a 2002 focus with 127K miles that I drive in the summer, and inside storage for the other car. works for me and is the reason I haven't gotten it together to have 2 set of wheels/tires. Enjoy winter in the northern hemisphere !

·
Registered
322 Posts
here in colorado the winters are wildly variable--in the single digits, then in the 60s. never had any problem with x ices in any higher temp.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have those tires as my only tire. But it's about 50F about 9 months out of the year here. I've only had them for 8k miles so far though. They might wear fast, but the grip great in all conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Novablue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing