Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Base Model Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most on this site, we love our Subie's and regardless of the mud we gather from hiking in the woods, snow from snowy winters or water from sopping wet spring days we want to keep the interior a clean enjoyable experience.

When I first got my 2012 Outback it came with the factor all weather floor mats. To my dismay they didn't protect the floor as well as I wanted. This began my search for a better alternative. I ended up choosing the MAXFLORMATS, but I will go through the 3 options I looked at before making my final decision.

Option #1: WeatherTech DigitalFit

Car Mats, Floor Mats, Cargo Liners, Side Window Deflectors | WeatherTech.com

Since I already have the first option in my Forester (First row only), I knew these were a good option as they could hold the mud and liquid from my outdoor adventures. On the downside, the mats that I have in the Forester seem to leave gaps along the edges for dirt and grime to fall behind the mat (first two pictures below). The other complaint I had was the price. For both first and second row floor liners it would be around $169.99. First row only mats run about $100.

Please keep in mind that others on this site have had better experiences with these.

Option #2: Husky Mats WEATHERBEATER Series

Husky Liners

They look similar to the other options, but were still $169.95 and I didn't have any experience with these. They also didn't seem to allow the option to purchase only the Front row separately. There have been some good reviews on these mats too.

Option #3: Kramer Accessories MAXFLORMATS (The choice I picked):D:D

Floor Mats | Toyota Sienna Floor Mats | Toyota Tacoma Floor Mats | Jeep Wrangler Floor Mats | Kramer Accessories |

I stumbled on to these purely by accident, searching the Internet. Unfortunately I couldn't find any reviews on this site, but they were enough cheaper to help pull the money out of my pocket. For both first and second row floor liners it was around $140. First row only mats run about $85. With no reviews, ordering these made me nervous. Since the product looked good from the website and they were cheaper I decided to give them a try.

They just came today (4 days later) and so far I am pleased with the product. The MAXFLORMATS :) seem to fit much tighter than my Forester's WeatherTech mats. The only qualm that I have with them is that the holes for where the hooks go to hold the drivers mat in place were not drilled out. You can see what I am speaking of in the next to last picture below. I chose to pop the hooks out from under the seat and try it without them. I took a picture of the hook so you can see what I removed and the tool used to remove them. I may use some double sided carpet tape to hold the fabric flaps down. So far there isn't to much sliding since they are a nice tight fit (Obviously, if you choose this option you are doing so at your own risk). I am sure that you could easily drill an appropriate sized hole in the mat to accommodate the hook if needed. As the pictures show, there is a place on the mat to accommodate the hooks.

In the back row there is very slight gaping around the hump in the floor (I will try to post a picture below). For such a large floor mat, I don't think this is unreasonable. Please keep in mind that I have nothing to compare the 2nd row mats with other than the standard Subaru all weather mats. The MAXFLORMATS appear to be a huge improvement.

So far I am happy with my MAXFLORMATS :29:. If this changes (only time will tell), I will update my post.

Has anyone else had experience with these or other floor mats? If so please post your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Base Model Outback
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a quick follow up. Had the floor mats for just over a week now and still love them. I haven't noticed any sliding with the drivers side mat after removing those hooks either.

Two thumbs up!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
'00 Legacy OBW Ltd
306 Posts
WeatherTech
Gen1 Outback (1995-99) - n/a
Gen2 Outback (2000-04) - Yes. All-Weather
Gen3 Outback (2005-09) - Yes. DigitalFit & All-Weather
Gen4 Outback (2010+) - Yes. DigitalFit & All-Weather

Husky Mats
Gen1 Outback (1995-99) - Heavy Duty Mats for Legacy
Gen2 Outback (2000-04) - Yes. Floor liners & Heavy Duty Mats
Gen3 Outback (2005-09) - Yes. Floor liners & Heavy Duty Mats
Gen4 Outback (2010+) - Yes. Floor liners

Kramer Accessories MAXFLORMATS
Gen1 Outback (1995-99) - n/a
Gen2 Outback (2000-04) - n/a
Gen3 Outback (2005-09) - n/a
Gen4 Outback (2010+) - Yes

Bummer. My OEM Subaru rubber mats are wearing through and move around...a lot.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Will MAXFLORMATS fit 2008? or did subaru change the interior on the 2010 year? They only list the 2010 on the website.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,228 Posts
Will MAXFLORMATS fit 2008? or did subaru change the interior on the 2010 year? They only list the 2010 on the website.
If you look at the list posted right above your question, it looks like they only molded for the current generation.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,658 Posts
Way to revive a post. 6 months into the new mats for the 2010+ OB only floor mats.

Have they started to curl at the edges yet?

The curling is what I have been looking to avoid. Especially in the heat down here. I don't think anyone can make a molded to fit floor mat that can withstand a few hours of baking at 140F inside a car repeatedly.

So, I stick with the carpet based mats that don't curle up and try to shampoo them regularly.

If you really want to keep that new carpet look, just lay down a sheet of clear plastic on the floor under all the mats. You can tuck the plastic into the moldings to help hold it taught. I haven't done this. Just thought of it. Really. I'm thinking maybe a few sheets of plastic drop cloth, really thin, cost maybe $10. Savings $$$. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Interesting...good analysis by the OP.

The OEM all-weather mats came with one of the packages I got on my 2013 Outback and although I agree they really don't provide full coverage, I don't intend to replace them with $180 floor mats. Even $140 seems like a lot, but those mats do look nice!

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
Are the Kramer mats made in China? The Weather Tech mats are 100% USA

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
Does it really matter where they are made? We shouldn't then eat cheese that came from France???? LOL And be on a look-out: some parts in 2013 OB are made in CANADA.... LOL

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I wouldn't eat cheese from China! So I think aftCG's comment might be quality related. Or just looking to buy American when possible, nothing wrong with that!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
Boeing dream liner has many components made in China, yet many of us fly it. Many Apple products are made in China, yet we buy them. Quality concerns about products from China are overrated, in my opinion. There are not that many true "american" made products on these shores anymore... it's a fact of life, sorry to say! However, nothing wrong with trying to buy "american" though...I agree - but not because of quality....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
jogosub, I agree that it's an outdated stereotype to assume that anything stamped with "Made in China" is low quality.

...but, Apple, Boeing and many other name-brands that source parts from China have internal quality control, while smaller companies (such as Kramer, as per the focus of this thread) may not hold their products to the same high standards. Some companies are simply looking to source a cheap product (see: China) and the result is low quality.

That being said, Kramer Accessories (distributor of MaxFloorMats) has their factory in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
I tasted cheese from mainland China (in Hong Kong not long ago) and it tastes pretty good... it's "organic" ... LOL
Happy New Year (Lunar Year, that is...)

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5 Ltd/Nav/Eyesight
14 Posts
Are the Kramer mats made in China? The Weather Tech mats are 100% USA
I think the point is that like the Subie, it's made (assembled at least) in the USA. Wx tech mats are USA products (harder to find these days). So that's a few less $$ sent to China. I agree that the money savings is nice but it's also nice to see a high quality product being produced here.

and yes, I buy Apple ;)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
21 Posts
Compared to the Subaru all weather floor mats, these mats look less rubbery. I like the grippy feeling and thickness of the Subaru mats but the coverage leaves you wanting.

From the pictures the other mats almost look like thick plastic...

Are they made out of rubber or more of a plastic composite? And do they have a good feel that will keep your feet from sliding around?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I ended up taking the dive anyway and spending $170 on WeatherTech mats because after just a couple weeks with the OEM all-weather mats, rocks, dirt and other junk was all over the place on the driver's side, especially right under the pedals.

Phil83, the WeatherTech mats are more of a resin/plastic material (and MaxFloorMats look the same). The OEM mats are considerably thicker (and heavier), but the coverage of the aftermarket mats is so much better.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
I ended up taking the dive anyway and spending $170 on WeatherTech mats because after just a couple weeks with the OEM all-weather mats, rocks, dirt and other junk was all over the place on the driver's side, especially right under the pedals.

Phil83, the WeatherTech mats are more of a resin/plastic material (and MaxFloorMats look the same). The OEM mats are considerably thicker (and heavier), but the coverage of the aftermarket mats is so much better.
exactly what I found, and had to purchase the weathertechs within a week of buying my OB. I don't understand the factory all weather mats not covering under the pedals. Where do they think the snow and muck on your boots is going to melt to?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
exactly what I found, and had to purchase the weathertechs within a week of buying my OB. I don't understand the factory all weather mats not covering under the pedals. Where do they think the snow and muck on your boots is going to melt to?
I think, Subaru is being careful possibly not to have same problem as Toyota few months ago....(or was it Honda)....therefore, they are a bit shorter even though there are pins to hold them in place!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts