Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in Memphis, Tennessee for the past 5 weeks for training for my company [I live in Florida], and my training partner has seen my car for most of that period.

Today he told me that his daughter is getting ready to go to college, and he was looking for a car for her. He asked me about my '01 Outback, and I gave him the package tour today, and he seemed very impressed. :29:

What impressed him the most was when I told him how much the car weighed. I let him drive it around the block near our training building, and then turned up the stereo, which is outstanding. FM radio is average sounding, but put a good CD in that thing and OMG! My '01 is an LL Bean, and it has the H6 engine.

"Is the engine running?" he said, looking around the mahogany steering wheel to check the tachometer.

"Yes, it is a flat 6, with perfect primary and secondary balance. There is a reason that Porsche sells 90% of their cars with this design". This with 11 year old engine mounts.....

Needless to say, he was impressed. I also told him that the H6 uses a bit more gas than the H4, but you do not have to worry about a timing belt change at 100k miles.

"But if you found an H4 with a fresh belt, wouldn't it be the better deal?"

I told him "You decide". Good cars sell themselves, apparently.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I've been in Memphis, Tennessee for the past 5 weeks for training for my company [I live in Florida], and my training partner has seen my car for most of that period.

Today he told me that his daughter is getting ready to go to college, and he was looking for a car for her. He asked me about my '01 Outback, and I gave him the package tour today, and he seemed very impressed. :29:

What impressed him the most was when I told him how much the car weighed. I let him drive it around the block near our training building, and then turned up the stereo, which is outstanding. FM radio is average sounding, but put a good CD in that thing and OMG! My '01 is an LL Bean, and it has the H6 engine.

"Is the engine running?" he said, looking around the mahogany steering wheel to check the tachometer.

"Yes, it is a flat 6, with perfect primary and secondary balance. There is a reason that Porsche sells 90% of their cars with this design". This with 11 year old engine mounts.....

Needless to say, he was impressed. I also told him that the H6 uses a bit more gas than the H4, but you do not have to worry about a timing belt change at 100k miles.

"But if you found an H4 with a fresh belt, wouldn't it be the better deal?"

I told him "You decide". Good cars sell themselves, apparently.
I've impressed a lot of people with the interior/quietness/capability of my '04 LL Bean. From the Outside, it's a typical Outback (well, plus my extra lights), and they definitely don't expect the leather, heated everything, auto climate controls, dead-silent and reasonably powerful engine, etc.

Though given the weight and HP rating the power isn't really worth bragging about, I'm still amused by friends who drive mine on a road trip and say "Wow, this thing MOVES."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've impressed a lot of people with the interior/quietness/capability of my '04 LL Bean. From the Outside, it's a typical Outback (well, plus my extra lights), and they definitely don't expect the leather, heated everything, auto climate controls, dead-silent and reasonably powerful engine, etc.

Though given the weight and HP rating the power isn't really worth bragging about, I'm still amused by friends who drive mine on a road trip and say "Wow, this thing MOVES."
He's a typical dad, and the fact that the car is about 700 pounds heavier than it looks seemed to get his attention. He wants something big and safe for his child, and the huge hatch area is a big plus. He's a bit of a "country boy" drives a Dodge pickup truck, and what surprised me was that he really thought the mahogany steering wheel was the coolest feature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.