Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on CU's website:

Check out the green CX-50 - look familiar?

Also... "the CX-50 is the first Mazda vehicle to be built at the new Mazda Toyota Manufacturing (MTM) plant in Huntsville, Ala".

Looks like Toyota will eventually have it's fingers into almost all competitor's future manufacturing plans. Not that it would be a bad thing....

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,307 Posts
So this must be what was rumored to become a resurrection of CX-7. By the way, Mazda offered a turbocharged direct injection engine back in 2006, vs. 2019 for Subaru.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Link to the mazda usa reveal. Last part has the main engineer explain the AWD system modes.

https://owners.mazdacx50reveal.com/
Got to see it on rollers to see how front bias it is. That's the main issue with so many of the other manufacturers AWD systems. They tend to be very front biased and if the front loses traction, you're done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got to see it on rollers to see how front bias it is. That's the main issue with so many of the other manufacturers AWD systems. They tend to be very front biased and if the front loses traction, you're done.
Agree.
Mazda has not released any specs as far as ground clearance, approach departure angles, or dimensions.
The speculation is all over the place on the net. Some have said it is bigger than the CX-9. Some have said it is just a bit longer than the CX-5. time will tell

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,453 Posts
Sometimes automakers create vehicles to retain their existing customer base, where they notice customers leaving the brand because they don't offer something someone else has. So more customer retention than conquest sales.

Subaru created the Ascent for that reason - people leaving Subaru if they needed a 3-row. I think Mazda created the CX-50 to retain customers that want to go off-road a little bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is a roller test with a mazda cx-5 and Forester, From what I gathered from the CX-50 reveal it will have a enhanced AWD system. In the vid both vehicles had no issues with the rollers.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,453 Posts
In that video especially with two fronts on rollers and one back wheel on rollers the Subaru did seem to do much better. Mazda has been improving their reactive AWD but I still prefer true always AWD even if it means a slight fuel economy penalty.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here is a roller test with a mazda cx-5 and Forester, From what I gathered from the CX-50 reveal it will have a enhanced AWD system. In the vid both vehicles had no issues with the rollers.

I don't think that video demonstrates what you want it too.
The Subaru in all modes took 4 secs to get off the rollers just one rear wheel having traction, the Mazda couldn't get off the rollers without turning TCS OFF.
With TCS off the Mazda took 10 secs to get off the rollers.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think that video demonstrates what you want it too.
The Subaru in all modes took 4 secs to get off the rollers just one rear wheel having traction, the Mazda couldn't get off the rollers without turning TCS OFF.
With TCS off the Mazda took 10 secs to get off the rollers.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
I am not endorsing one brand over another. Another poster asked about mazda and the roller test. The vid is one I found. Besides the vid is not the CX-50 and it has the Forester rather than the Outback.

I suspect the Outback is a more robust off roader than any of the Mazda's currently available. Even when the CX-50 comes out, I suspect the Outback will still be more robust. Look at the CX-50 reveal vid. Mazda stated that most users will drive the majority of the time on roads. The vid shows the CX-50 on dirt roads that are by no means very challenging.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I am not endorsing one brand over another. Another poster asked about mazda and the roller test. The vid is one I found. Besides the vid is not the CX-50 and it has the Forester rather than the Outback.

I suspect the Outback is a more robust off roader than any of the Mazda's currently available. Even when the CX-50 comes out, I suspect the Outback will still be more robust. Look at the CX-50 reveal vid. Mazda stated that most users will drive the majority of the time on roads. The vid shows the CX-50 on dirt roads that are by no means very challenging.
I was the one saying had to actually see it on the rollers because I already knew what you posted a video of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts