Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I type in the URL for South Coast Subaru, it sends me to McKenna Subaru. What happened? South Coast is toast?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,605 Posts
Don't know about South Coast being there or not. I like going to Irvine Subaru instead. Was at Timmons this last week off of Cherry in Long Beach and didn't like it as well as Irvine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We went to South Coast Subaru in August. Worst dealership we worked with when we were still shopping brands and models. We walked out. After that I checked yelp. SC's yelp reviews were scary.

Timmons later told us Subaru forced the owner of South Coast to sell the dealership due to excesive customer complaints.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday I had my 6000 mile service done at McKenna. They had me out of there in an hour. A pleasant surprise was to find out the first four services are free.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We went to South Coast Subaru in August. Worst dealership we worked with when we were still shopping brands and models. We walked out. After that I checked yelp. SC's yelp reviews were scary.

Timmons later told us Subaru forced the owner of South Coast to sell the dealership due to excesive customer complaints.
We went to South Coast back in July because we were in the area and we walked in and were asked if we had an appointment. We said no and were told to wait a few minutes so I went to the bathroom and came back out and waited about 5 minutes and no one helped us so we walked out. It wasn't a huge waiting area so it wasn't like they couldn't see us. I just didn't feel like we were their demographic (i.e.: non hipster and mid 20s, or overly outdoorsy looking) so they didn't pay much attention to us.

Just went on a test drive with one of the internet sales people today at McKenna and he was very helpful. They have the car I want in stock (2.5 Limited twilight blue pearl w/black interior w/out eye sight, ; crystal white pearl is my second choice and also in stock), but I am also going to go to Timmons tomorrow to see what their True Car price is (they don't give it to you online) because I was quoted $200 under invoice today at McKenna, and I want to see if anyone is willing to go any lower. I would be happy with $500 under invoice. I had very good luck with McKenna Cerritos though with my 2013 VW TDI both for purchase and warranty service so I would be willing to return to McKenna Subaru for this purchase and future service. I wonder if they will offer any dealership loyalty bonus.

Timmons doesn't have my preferred interior color in stock though (most cars are in ivory), but we will see how it goes and then weigh the options. I do like that I can turn in my VW to either dealer, get the VW buy back check, and then leave with the new car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I type in the URL for South Coast Subaru, it sends me to McKenna Subaru. What happened? South Coast is toast?
I recently had a deal to buy a new car from McKenna Subaru.....It was a order for a new car...During the period While waiting for the car to be delivered my saleperson and the Sales Manager were let go.....The new Sales Manager/GM(?) Peter Lu refused to honor the deal I had made with McKenna Subaru.....How can they do that? A deal is a deal right? Peter Lu still has not returned any of my emails....
They also have not returned my deposit !! !
With so many good Subaru dealers around , why do business with McKenna , if there is even a slight chance this may happen to you?
I am really surprised that Subaru even lets them be a dealer for Subaru....

I would avoid McKenna Subaru in Huntington Beach, California.....
I had a deal to buy a new car( I ordered it) and while waiting for it to arrive my salesperson and the Sakes Manager were let go or quit...The new Sales Manager/GM(?) Peter Lu reneged on the deal made previously....How could be do that! But he did .....
So I would avoid McKenna Subaru ....?I don’t feel they can be trusted and think they did not act in a ethical way.....I am pretty surprised that they are still allowed to be a Subaru dealer.....
With so many great, ethical dealers around, why take a chance on getting screwed by McKenna Subaru and Peter Lu.....

AVOID THEM !

I preordered a new car from McKenna Subaru in February when orders were allowed....It was for a new model, the 2019 Ascent....I asked my saleperson if the Ascent was eligible for lower pricing from Costco or Subaru VIP Pricing in the future before my car arrived, if I could get the lower pricing....He said yes I would get the lower pricing...Well the Ascent did become eligible for VIP pricing .....so I was to receive that price..,I had Subaru send the paperwork to McKenna....When I called to check on the be status of my car, I was told by the Sales Manager, Justin Barnett that Steve was no longer there but to bring in my copy of the VIP authorization when picking up the car because the person handling that was no longer there either....I would get the VIP price...
Well I called the next week I was told that Justin Barnett was also gone and that I would NOT get the VIP pricing !? What ! We had a deal ! According to my new salesperson, the new GM ,Peter Lu, said no to my deal....How can he do that!
So anyway, I waited 3 months for my new car and the day before it arrived I was told that I would not get the car at the agreed on price...I would have to pay MSRP...BS to that....
Peter Lu has never returned my email and McKenna has not returned my deposit yet......
There are many great, ethical, Subaru dealers in Orange County California....Do not go to this one.....
Avoid Avoid Avoid........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know about South Coast being there or not. I like going to Irvine Subaru instead. Was at Timmons this last week off of Cherry in Long Beach and didn't like it as well as Irvine.
Just curious as to what you did not like about Timmons....Or what made Irvine better....Timmons is closer to me than Irvine Subaru ...l need/want to find a good dealer(for service) near to Los Alamitos/Seal Beach...
Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts

Would not be surprised if the same thing happens to McKenna....Management changes can make a difference.Different philosophies............

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,605 Posts
Just curious as to what you did not like about Timmons....Or what made Irvine better....Timmons is closer to me than Irvine Subaru ...l need/want to find a good dealer(for service) near to Los Alamitos/Seal Beach...
Thanks,

Try Subaru Orange Coast in the Santa Ana Auto Mall. Nice people to deal with.

Long story short - I was first service customer in their new place and the Penske people were there seeing that last minute things were done. Construction dust everywhere but Penske and dealership folks offered to get me coffee even though they had no coffee machine aka someone would make a Starbies run. Shuttled me where I needed to go and all that good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,605 Posts
Would not be surprised if the same thing happens to McKenna....Management changes can make a difference.Different philosophies............

I have a source of info on South Coast. There were too many post-sale customer surveys coming back at 100% aka outside of the bell-shaped curve. On further digging, the IP addresses were traced back to South Coast. And that's when SOA lowered the hammer and yanked the dealership.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avoid McKenna Subaru

I have a source of info on South Coast. There were too many post-sale customer surveys coming back at 100% aka outside of the bell-shaped curve. On further digging, the IP addresses were traced back to South Coast. And that's when SOA lowered the hammer and yanked the dealership.
I finally received my deposit back from McKenna after over 3 weeks....While I was there I overheard one of the salespersons tell a customer that the new Ascent was ONLY selling at MSRP due to being a new model with intense demand....What a LIE.....They seem to have no remorse whatsoever.....I bought mine from Timmons Subaru in Long Beach at VIP Pricing (invoice -2%) So I know it is not true....Sierra Subaru also sells at VIP price to those eligible....Ocean & Orange Coast are also rumored to make deals...I can’t personally buy a car from each dealer to substantiate this fact so you may need to do your own fact finding if wanting to purchase a car there. Shop around and get it in writing because a dealer may not honor a legitimate deal if it is not spelled out in writing and they change their mind.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Shop around and get it in writing because a dealer may not honor a legitimate deal if it is not spelled out in writing and they change their mind.

You don't have a legitimate deal if it is not spelled out in writing.

Ascents are a hot seller. I'm sure there are dealers having no problem selling them at MSRP and customers willing to pay MSRP.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,946 Posts

Ascents are a hot seller. I'm sure there are dealers having no problem selling them at MSRP and customers willing to pay MSRP.
I can confirm this, I was talking to a couple yesterday that has been trying to buy an Ascent for the past two months and they are trying to play games with a bunch of dealerships in my area to get that mythical "best deal possible." Apparently while they are jerking all the salespeople around the Ascents they say they WANT to buy ARE being purchased by people that are committed to something other than playing games.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avoid McKenna

Ascents are a hot seller. I'm sure there are dealers having no problem selling them at MSRP and customers willing to pay MSRP.[/QUOTE]

True , very true....But some customers are not sheep and are willing to shop around...TELLING customers no one is selling below MSRP.....Just not true....
My concern/surprise was McKenna lying to customers.....They have the right to sell for whatever they can get.....They could probably do that without lying...and what else do they take liberties with?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Better choices than McKenna Subaru

I can confirm this, I was talking to a couple yesterday that has been trying to buy an Ascent for the past two months and they are trying to play games with a bunch of dealerships in my area to get that mythical "best deal possible." Apparently while they are jerking all the salespeople around the Ascents they say they WANT to buy ARE being purchased by people that are committed to something other than playing games.
Well, the Ascents at McKenna don’t seem to be flying off the lot to me......:surprise:
It’s been awhile since I went to a dealership and purchased a new car....Exactly what is the process to go through to buy a new car these days, at your dealership for example? Do most people come in to your dealership or try and do a deal via email? And then what happens? Sincerely curious....
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
McKenna Subaru in Southern California

I went to Mckenna this week to pick up some parts I ordered for my Forester....While waiting I walked around the lot and came upon “my” Ascent that I had ordered & then canceled because McKenna reneged on the agreement we had for price.
It had been there since July 10th!!??
Still on the lot on August 7th !.....
Seems like a long time on the lot for such a hot seller.....? Just seemed odd to me it was still there....Their website said they have 21 in inventory....Maybe once Subaru starts advertising the Ascent .......I know they had thousands of preorders alone....:smile2:
Doesn’t the auto industry publish numbers/facts about manufacturers inventory levels, how many days of sales/inventory they have on hand, etc.? I could be wrong... it would be interesting to know the facts....if available....:nerd:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
I went to Mckenna this week to pick up some parts I ordered for my Forester...:
if they suck so bad, why are you ordering parts from them?

buy your parts online and maybe avoid some local taxes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
McKenna sales dept. sucks / parts dept. is ok

if they suck so bad, why are you ordering parts from them?

buy your parts online and maybe avoid some local taxes.
Duh?
It’s their sales department that sucks...thanks for bringing that up....>:)
I don’t recall saying anything negative about their parts department...The parts guy knows me and usually can give me a discount of some sort....:grin2:
Plus it is the closest Subaru dealer to me...
The shipping costs can offset any savings on taxes many times....One part I ordered is $13.75 (lowest I found online) elsewhere but with a $12.99 shipping cost....about $25 bucks....Here it was Like $16.99 (with discount) & $18.75 total with tax...Plus the time it takes to get here(shipping time) needs to be factored in if time is important ... ...
But I am sure that I am not telling you anything you don’t know already....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avoid McKenna Subaru

Well a lot depends on where you’re at ...The Subaru dealership in Salt Lake City Utah keeps one on hand so people can test drive it ,otherwise as soon as one comes in it’s sold......They have zero inventory....
Subaru of Glendale California has 20-30+ cars in inventory on it’s lot so they are more likely to make a deal(they do)...That would seem to be a common sense thought...:wink2:
I think a person can have a legitimate deal if it’s not spelled out in writing, it just would not be enforceable deal .... but an agreement between two parties is still deal ....When you get into honesty and integrity & ethics etc. things may go haywire or work out great if the integrity is there etc...Making a “handshake deal” is definitely a risk..... which is kind of sad , I suppose that’s the world we live in ....:wink2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
A deal is a deal...It is possible

Finally received my 2019 Subaru Ascent from Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, Ca.
Deal was done without even setting foot on the lot...,a text and a phone call is all it took...
Timmons Subaru, just one of the many honest, trustworthy, ethical Subaru dealers.....Highly recommend.....:smile2::wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts