Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trusted friend just dropped one off at my place - it's his dad's and dad can no longer drive, so it looks like I'll be able to get this one pretty cheap - like less than $500, though that hasn't been finalized yet.

I got into Subarus with a couple of Legacies over the past year. I've been through the head gasket change on the 2.5DOHC on one of them, so I'm somewhat conversant. This Forester has what I gather is the later 2.5 with the single timing sprocket per head - is that what's called the Phase II motor? Do I recall correctly that it doesn't suffer from the HG problem? It has less than 100K km on it.

Other than the usual timing component maintenance, what do I have to watch for on this thing?

Thanks.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2011 Outback Prm AWP 6MT
50 Posts
The SOHC Phase II engine does indeed suffer from HG failure but not of the same type as the DOHC motors. On SOHC motors, the HGs leak externally (visible from the outside of the block). Typically its coolant they leak but some of the later ones have oil seepage. For comparison, the DOHC motors leaked combustion gases into the coolant causing air pockets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.