Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been trying to find the meaning of Subaru, some web sites say it means "united" in Japanese but my son asked his Japanese teacher and she said the word has no meaing in Japanese... Anyone know what it really stands for? :confused:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,545 Posts
It sorta has 2 meanings and was chosen for the 'unity' context AND because the other meaning is one of 2 words(motsuraboshi? is the other one?) for a constellation (roughly our Pleiades) . Seems at one time there were 5 companies that came together to form Fuji heavy Inustries (parent of Subaru) so 1 large star from 5 smaller - like the logo and like the constellation.
I'm sure someone will post a link to the website with the deatoled explanation - I don't rememeber where it is right now.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOps

Well I should've looked harder before asking, the official version from http://www.subaru-global.com/about/origin/index.html is In the West the cluster is called Pleiades, in China, Mao, and in Japan, Subaru ("to govern" or gather together"). In Japan, it also goes by the name Mutsuraboshi ("Six Stars"), under which title it appears frequently in very old Japanese documents such as Kojiki and Manyosyu and literature such as Makura-no-soshi. :)

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
From the Subaru Corporate Media Site

THE ORIGIN OF SUBARU

"SUBARU" is a Japanese word meaning "unite," as well as a term identifying a cluster of six stars which the Greeks called the Pleiades – part of the Taurus constellation. According to Greek mythology, Atlas’ daughters turned into this group of stars.

In 1953, five Japanese companies merged to form Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. The new corporation adopted the "Subaru" cluster of stars as its official logo for its line of automobiles. Today, Fuji Heavy Industries is a global transportation conglomerate.
I know this explaination is kinda short but it sums it up pretty well. It shows that the name "Subaru" is very fitting to the company. I've seen many different things defining "Subaru" what the word means, what it means to the company, :blahblah: but I've found that this one is short, simple, and the easiest to understand. If you'd like to research this more be my guest :)

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 5-spd
23 Posts
S-orta
U-gly
B-ut
A-ltogether
R-eally
U-nique

Best one ive found yet, I hope this ain't trolling the post :/ I really like it here

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
186 Posts
Stupid Urbanites Bumbling Around RUral areas. :p

This pretty much sums up life in Hood River, Oregon. :17:

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been trying to find the meaning of Subaru, some web sites say it means "united" in Japanese but my son asked his Japanese teacher and she said the word has no meaing in Japanese... Anyone know what it really stands for? :confused:
Its the word for what the Japanese call the Pleiades Star cluster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts