Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, 2.5L Automatic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My name is Namu, I'm 40 with wife and kids, and I started out wanting a beater car with better gas mileage than my 2000 Ford Explorer v8 5.0L SUV. After a few weeks of research and lots of reading through this forum, I decided on the Subaru Outback! An old friend drove a Legacy back in the day and I remember enjoying it when I drove it, but I wanted something that still had hauling space, so I thought the wagon would be better. I wanted a beater, but what I got was so much more!

After a month of driving her, I'm in love. I'm 6ft, 255lbs and I love the space inside. The seats are extra comfortable, plenty of head and leg room, and she handles so well, I almost want to go out to the track with her! There's room for my big kid (14) and my little kid (2) and my wife and all our junk. Or, I can empty her out and she feels light as air.

I've owned lots of cars, both import and domestic, and the Nissan 240SX S13 has been my favorite over the years, but now that I'm a dad, I can see the OBW taking that spot over.

I'm a weirdo when it comes to cars. I always want my car to be unique - so, for Rubie Sue, I decided to make her an import car show, lol. You can hate the idea or you can love it or you can be indifferent, but I'm going to make this girl look unlike any other OBW on the planet and then show her off at car shows! I'm going to try really hard to make her look and run great, and not rice her out. First mod to come? Big muffler and some new stickers! Just kidding. Thankfully, I never went through that stage, lol.

Anyways, thank you all for this great community and I look forward to hanging out for years to come!

Namu

So, here are some photos. There are about 18 little dings and few big dents, but they're not really noticeable unless you're up close and looking right at it. I think she's purty. The interior is fading and lackluster, but in pretty good shape.

P.S. - there's a photo of the gas cap area and it has all kinds of grit and grime in it - any idea what that might be from? It's an east coast car that came out to the west coast about 9 years ago - it looks like what I imagine would be left over after the car was submerged in water, but maybe I'm just reading into it, lol.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Thanks for your post. I can relate to your feelings. I inherited my sister-in-law's 2000 Outback when she passed away. I thought I'd try driving it while putting all of the repairs she did not have a chance to get around to. I was amazed at what a great car it was; room for my wife, two teenaged daughters, and Golden Retriever. Plus the benefit of getting much better gas mileage than my 2003, 2500 Chevy Suburban. I still have the Suburban (Big Red) but hardly ever drive it after getting the Subaru (Little Red).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know exactly what I'm talking about, then, lol. How have the repairs been going?

I've got a lot of the previous owner's repair receipts, and everything looks pretty good, but there's still a lot to do.

Needs new tires, new brake pads (rotors are fine, but look horrible - rust bugs me, lol), shocks are bad, front cup holder is broken, a few tears in the interior, minor body damage, rear view mirror is loose, factory alarm/keyless entry is all jacked up - it works, but it goes off randomly. Air conditioner needs a fixin, lol.

Really a heck of a deal, though, for $1800. Assuming the head gasket doesn't go - haven't figured out if it was done yet or not...car is almost at 200,000 miles, so I really hope it has!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I just need to tighten the screw, but I don't have the right tool just yet.

·
Registered
H-6 L.L. Bean Outie & 95 GC5 w/2.2 swap
3 Posts
On your gas door question I have had the same inquirey ongoing. My 01 Dodge 1500, the lil subie GC5 convert, and my 02 Outtie all have the black smut growing on the doors when not washed for a week or two. At first, being a grease monkey,I thought it was the cap seal leaking and soon I would see a code for evap. system leak. But that has not happened. And I have tested all the caps, checked the fill necks, and the vent systems. Only started when the blended gas got to 10% arond here at most stations. Alcy fungus? Still researching and if I get a defintive I'll holler back!

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
You know exactly what I'm talking about, then, lol. How have the repairs been going?

I've got a lot of the previous owner's repair receipts, and everything looks pretty good, but there's still a lot to do.

Needs new tires, new brake pads (rotors are fine, but look horrible - rust bugs me, lol), shocks are bad, front cup holder is broken, a few tears in the interior, minor body damage, rear view mirror is loose, factory alarm/keyless entry is all jacked up - it works, but it goes off randomly. Air conditioner needs a fixin, lol.

Really a heck of a deal, though, for $1800. Assuming the head gasket doesn't go - haven't figured out if it was done yet or not...car is almost at 200,000 miles, so I really hope it has!
Where are you when the alarm goes off? I have the same problem sometimes, but I discovered it would go off when other people used their remotes. I reset it to only run on the two remotes I have and it seems to be fine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Greasemonkey - I hope we figure it out!

98Scooby - the alarm goes off when we're locking or unlocking the car. When you lock the car manually, using either driver or passenger side door, there's the normal click and thunk. When you unlock the door manually, from either side, there's a really loud buzzing noise that lasts about 3 seconds. It reminds me of the noise you might hear when you touched the metal sides in that board game "Operation", lol.

I understand that there is some kind of panic setting, so that if you lock, then unlock, then lock again (or whatever order it is), the alarm goes off, but it happens sometimes even on a first unlock.

Also, the key-less entry doesn't work (the previous owner said the remote never worked) and I don't have a remote for the car, and the case for the key-less entry/alarm is hanging down under the driver's side dash, with all the wiring and fuses exposed. I might just shoot a couple pictures and start a new thread about it.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Oh man that sounds nasty! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
namuwilliams: Sorry it took so long to get back to your question about what I have done to the 2000 OBW. Here's a link http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...relentless-steering-wheel-shimmy-part-ii.html to one of my threads that has a pretty comprehensive list of the work done in relation to a steering wheel shimmy I have, and pretty much accept as part of owning an older car. In addition to all the stuff on the list, I am in the process of replacing the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, idlers and tensioner (is that a word?), valve cover, and sparkplug gaskets.

I also spent time fixing the back hatch latch so it would close properly, the switch to the left rear door so the dome light and instrument panel "door open" indicator would work on that door. New wiper blades. Cleaned it all day because the previous owner was a smoker - sad to say it's one of the reasons she died and left me the car. New floor mats, XM radio installation, and general screw tightening stuff. Next is the bodywork. Although I am holding off on that until my daughter learns to drive. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks paulfolio! haha

DavidPeab:
Although I am holding off on that until my daughter learns to drive. lol
Haha, I fully understand your concerns - my son is 14 and already wants to drive - I'm sure this wagon will be his training grounds, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts