Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meetup in western NC 2/9/13! w/some pics

At least two members here are going to meet west of Asheville to go check out some off road places. We are going to meet at 10am off of exit 24 on I40 (NC route 209, Lake Junaluska, Hot Springs) at a Pilot just north of the interchange. Ashevile is about 25 miles east of this exit.

We'll make a day of it, and can include hiking in nearby areas such as max patch. Lots of different types of roads to drive on!

Post up any questions or if you can go. or if you have suggestions. It's been several years since I planned an event :rolleyes:

James

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
I'm in.
Stock OB's will be able to handle most of this too. If it's too much, the hiking and easier trails are abundant. I've done all with a stock 4Runner with no damage.
We'll have smaller tires and a little less ground clearance but we'll spot.

Bring any recovery gear and equipment to remove any fallen limbs, branches, or trees. I have seen fallen trees a time or two, but rare.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone else has a mattock/pulaski or something similar, it might be good to bring. We have gotten boatleads of rain in the last few weeks. Nearly six inches just wednesday in Boone. Also big freeze/thaw cycles!

I saw a little landslide in that area when I went to the Buzzard's roost. I'm sure we will have some fun regardless!

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
35 Posts
highest_vision just after completing Hurricane Creek. All were impressed as he followed a lifted Land Rover.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was an awesome day, thanks to cbodie, his father and his friend with the rover! It definitely rocked my world.

Big obstacle for me:

The Rover:

End of day atop Max Patch:

A strap was used once in this adventure, to help move a rock so i could drive over the obstacle. That rock extended underneath the entire car, and the right rear tire wouldn't reach the rock in time. The passenger floorboard bottomed out. I don't have any video of that, but I do some other that i hope to get ready soon.

Tons o' fun!

James

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I am a bit jealous... OK, a lot jealous... So when I head up the week of April 2nd, anyone up for a Hurricane Creek trip again?

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the first video, from guy with the rover. Mine is still 'processing,' whatever that means.

Hurricane Creek HD - YouTube

reddoak said:
So when I head up the week of April 2nd, anyone up for a Hurricane Creek trip again?
I would like to be, but that is pretty far out for me to plan... The weekend prior to the 2nd I will be doing a backpacking/trail maintenance trip in a wilderness area. Next weekend is a local cycle race feat. a friend I want to watch. Let me know!!

James

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Headed up next week... As far as I know, there will be two other Outbacks on this trip, an '04 and a '12, both stock.

maybe I can convince them to try Hurricane Creek... Assuming it's not all one big mud bog right now..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts