Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been on a mission to have my 2018 OB set up with LED Lightforce driving lights (Striker).
I have discovered the intricacies of Subaru's CAN BUS control system and have purchased the CANM8 Highbeam unit and today it was installed.
Great?
Not as great as if it was working. The firmware is not specced to the Outback yet. Yes I was optimistic to make the purchase. But.

There is a company in Melbourne, Stinger, in Ringwood, who import and distribute these to retail points nationally, I am in Sydney so bought mine at Brookvale (Strathfield is the store who do wirelesses and driving lights and stuff).
The firmware / software shipped with these Highbeam boxes does not yet talk with the OB.
There is a way this can work, that is for the Stinger people to run a scan on the CAN BUS on a 2018 OB via the OBD2 port with this data (the high beam signals) being monitored by the developer in the UK simultaneously allowing a possible version update to occur - my HighBeam box running the updated vers. (after me sending the box to Melbourne) can them generate the +12v to switch my relay and light up my life.
It is only available in Melbs and I am in Sydney...

If there is anybody in Melbourne leaning towards a bit of techo tweaky kind of stuff, I would really appreciate a PM or reply here, I can pursue this to hopefully get a result. In doing this, the subsequent boxes should then ship with the firmware updated to cover this model of car.
Thanks for your time in reading this, I hope it makes sense. There is no mega rush on this, realise it's almost Christmas :)
Cheerio,
Jock

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bergfalke, Your bar and lights look good, I have the 76mm bar with the Striker rectangular lights. Seems the OB headlight connections are different now - it would have been simple otherwise with the included harness and piggyback interfaces. The headlights are LED so there is no piggyback option there with the intensity and internal shuttering being the difference between hi/lo beam. All controlled by separate ECUs.

Still waiting for a possible sighting of a Melbourne 2018 OB owner who is up for some inconvenience.
A shot of the lights attached but not lined up....(or working :( )

Cheers,
Jock

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have a 2018 OB with LED headlights and would like to have a working canbus highbeam interface. Unfortunately I am not in Melbourne, but regional NSW. As well as CANM8 from the UK, there is another manufacturer of canbus interfaces, Beijer Automotive from Holland, but their interface also has not been updated to work with the latest OB. The distributor for Beijer is near home and I am at present patiently waiting for him to get time to connect his computer to my car to get the data needed for Beijer to update their interface.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mate, i'm in melbourne and the girlfriend lives a suburb or two away from ringwood. Just how much inconvenience am i looking at? Would love to help
Ta, the requirement would be to have some time at Stinger where they would connect their analyser box of tricks to your OBD port - the data would be monitored by the chap in the UK (via the interwebs) live and he can capture the trigger data signals and modify the code for the highbeam interface. The contact in Melbourne is in Ringwood if I remember rightly and with the time difference, this means it would be an evening occasion.
I would be interested to see how it worked - guessing the lights would have to be switched into non high beam assist mode due to the various states and stages of high beam dispersion in assist mode - it needs to be a stalk selected high beam on / off switch instruction. Especially if driving lights are on / off by that data.
Thanks, I can give you more info and sort something of you are mad enough.
Cheers,
Jock

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
post #11 - I thought it was 10 but now says 15 for PM privileges...
Basti, not wanting to post what would be just more spam posts and get red carded, can you shoot me a PM and I can ring you / whatever. The fwd PM request via an admin seems to have carked it. Cheers!

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
754 Posts
post #11 - I thought it was 10 but now says 15 for PM privileges...
Basti, not wanting to post what would be just more spam posts and get red carded, can you shoot me a PM and I can ring you / whatever. The fwd PM request via an admin seems to have carked it. Cheers!
Hey Jock what’s is the weather like in your part of Sydney today?

Replying to this post will give you 12 posts :wink2:

Seagrass

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sunny and mild, though heading to 30 later on.... lol
The forecast for Wilberforce today is 36 from memory, a bit better than the 42 degree (that is 110 Fahrenheit for the US people) days we have been having lately.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The forecast for Wilberforce today is 36 from memory, a bit better than the 42 degree (that is 110 Fahrenheit for the US people) days we have been having lately.

Seagrass
Good old Wilberquerque! A bit warmer than my part - Berowra... that's one more post, right?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Berowra is a lovely part of the world. Got a good friend down that way, Mal Heap, and he used to own a 2011/2012 Forester which I think he sold last year.

Nice ride down through the gorge and across the ferry on my motorbike too, when I get the chance.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ride my pushy through the gorges - Bobbin Head, Galston, Berowra Waters, Brooklyn Mt White.... Nice hills! Nice rip on a motorbike too!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have another friend, Alan, who lives just off of the road that goes down into Galston gorge (on the Hornsby side). Alan loves push biking down through the gorge and one day managed to come to grief on one of the corners which put a bit of a scare into him.

He used to also ride a motorcycle but after this scare he sold his motorcycle and now just keeps to the push bike. Took him quite a while to recover as from memory he injured his shoulder in the fall and shoulders can take some time to heal.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should always (like with all bikes) choose and keep your line - those hairpins are tight but doable - my times down the hills are OK, I quite like the Berowra Waters east descent - average 50k+ for the section and I'm an old bloke. I hope your mate is all good, riding is a good healthy activity.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts