Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
779 Posts
Glad to have been of help, enjoy your day.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Basti is going to be helping out when the chap at Stinger is back from O.S.
Should be soonish I hope.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Took the lights for a lining up tonight. We found the HB assist tries to manage but as expected wasn't really appropriate for the task. False positives from reflections off large signs, some rapid off/on/off transitions as well make it not so good. Best way to use driving lights is manually controlling the lights via the stalk control. Always expected this. Also, the HiBeam assist was doing it's partial dipping as usual with no effect on the CAN M8 HiBeam interface+12V output enabling the driving light relay.
In short, it all works, I am happy and the LightForce Striker spotties are great.
Jock

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just fitted a CANM8 canbus high beam interface to my 2018 OB to operate a light bar. Bought from Stinger through their local dealer near here. Works well, very pleased.

3 points to note - 1) As above, do not use HB assist 2) Make sure you get the installation manual from Stinger. The interface does not connect to CAN Hi and Lo at the OBD socket. You have to tap CAN Hi and Lo at a different point. 3) The engine must be running for the interface to read the CAN data and so trigger the driving lights / light bar relay.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Works well, very pleased.

You have to tap CAN Hi and Lo at a different point. 3) The engine must be running for the interface to read the CAN data and so trigger the driving lights / light bar relay.
Very good. Agree with your additional notes. We are heading south tomorrow, see how it all behaves.
Jock:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
:roadtrip: kind of a bit later - lights worked really well. Happy for the change thgey make. The Lightforce Strikers are a bit fiddly to line up just right. Still need to get out there and get them right. Off to the snow this weekend then a drive around Alpine Way > Yarrangobilly Caves then Tumut > home. Will probs have a bit of night driving there to test a bit more, see how we go..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Light upgrades

It's worthwhile looking at high end led lights too if you really want to see what's ahead of you. I do a lot of night driving so I chose the base model Outback as it was a lot easier to modify. The light output from the front of my car is very, very good. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to be able to post an image of my car but it is fitted with US made Baja Designs lights and lightbar. If you add h t t p s : (without the spaces) to the beginning of the following url //flic.kr/p/2gw89QZ you can see an image of the setup. Geoff

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks good Geoff. I have managed to copy the URL so we can all view it in an easier way.
What are the replacements you have put into the fog light spaces?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks @walker Some good stuff on there Geoff - bash plate looks good. I see a dashcam there as well. I put mine further to the left (on the drivers side but up high). The book says no but it works fine there and records more reliably what you see from that position as well.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The base model outback (in the US) does not come with fogs, but has plastic covers in the light recesses. I think you still use the two bottom plastic clips on each light for these covers.

Left side: 57731AG94B
Right side: 57731AG93B

That would be one option...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Fog lights are standard across the range here in Oz: https://www.subaru.com.au/build-your-own/build/variants?model=Outback . With the bullbar, these would be redundant and I guess the after market LED lights are the go.
figured that - I thought you meant if anything was placed in the original foglight spaces in the original front end... those LEDs there in the picture are BajaDesigns (for the fog light location in that new front). I have those mounted in mine (original front end). Also use them on 2 different motorcycles. That size in the picture is the XL series. https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/led-auxilary-lights.asp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks good Geoff. I have managed to copy the URL so we can all view it in an easier way.
What are the replacements you have put into the fog light spaces?
The lower lights (not really in the fog light position as they are mounted in the bullbar) are Baja Designs XL80 combo driving lights. These use 20W LEDs and provide unbelievable spread and moderate reach. The lightbar is a Baja Designs Onx6 20" bar in wide/combo again. Baja designs are in the process of converting another Onx6 lightbar I have to have one side upgraded to Onx6+ standard (higher output and a couple of different LEDs compared to the Onx6) and the other side to what is called Racer Edition which means a very tight spot pattern. So once that is on, the XL80s will provide light from wide to mid distance and the lightbar will provide a wide spot and a tighter spot inside that. We have a lot of animals to avoid here in Australia so a bullbar and good lights are pretty handy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The lower lights (not really in the fog light position as they are mounted in the bullbar) are Baja Designs XL80 combo driving lights. These use 20W LEDs and provide unbelievable spread and moderate reach. The lightbar is a Baja Designs Onx6 20" bar in wide/combo again. Baja designs are in the process of converting another Onx6 lightbar I have to have one side upgraded to Onx6+ standard (higher output and a couple of different LEDs compared to the Onx6) and the other side to what is called Racer Edition which means a very tight spot pattern. So once that is on, the XL80s will provide light from wide to mid distance and the lightbar will provide a wide spot and a tighter spot inside that. We have a lot of animals to avoid here in Australia so a bullbar and good lights are pretty handy!
XL80 Baja Design lights
Stock Onx6+ lightbar
Racer edition light bar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks @walker Some good stuff on there Geoff - bash plate looks good. I see a dashcam there as well. I put mine further to the left (on the drivers side but up high). The book says no but it works fine there and records more reliably what you see from that position as well.
Yes the bashplate is just insurance in case an animal goes under the car. It happens unfortunately. It is 4mm aluminium. The dashcam is super neat with all wiring fed up through the eyesight housing. It's in a very tight spot but the guy that installed it located it perfectly with totally clear vision, very unobtrusive and still accessible to change micro SD cards etc. The car also now has Yakima racks so I can carry my sea kayaks and Focal component speakers have also been fitted along with sound deadening. Once it has a sound processor and amplifier it will be complete :)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

OK so here is my OB. The bar is a ECB 76mm black ripple job - 3 inches in the old money and really solid.
We hit the snow a few weeks back - this is as far off road except the bush tracks down south and I have to say the car is really tractable on the dirt tracks / in the mud (fargen slippery tram track water filled tracks of slop) and on the lumps. Expected this but nice to put it through a few small hoops without too much worry confirming the expectations we had.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts