Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
2006 Imprezza Outback Sport
To be fair we went through a phase like that a few years ago where it seemed like for well over a decade people were searching for everything throughout the site and then at some point the majority of new membership was bombarding the site with new threads on VERY common subjects.
I totally understand the frustration from BOTH sides of the issue.

I always found myself searching for info about a problem,
and finding a TON of threads on the same basic subject.
I would spend an hour reading every post on every one of those threads....
but I'd never really find an answer to my specific problem.

But thanks for putting up with us :rolleyes:

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #22
I totally understand the frustration from BOTH sides of the issue.

I always found myself searching for info about a problem,
and finding a TON of threads on the same basic subject.
I would spend an hour reading every post on every one of those threads....
but I'd never really find an answer to my specific problem.

But thanks for putting up with us :rolleyes:
I am the king of merging threads which is what I prefer to do now instead of redirecting a member to what may perhaps be a more appropriate thread to make any such inquiry.

I appreciate EVERYONE'S participation and I am always interested in figuring out better ways to accommodate as many people as possible.

Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
This site seems to merge more threads than most others that I have visited. The problem with that is you end up with extremely long threads with so many posts that it is difficult to find something specific within a thread. That, and often the earliest posts in the thread are years old and since so many things change over time or better solutions to problems are found it can be hard to find the best answer to a problem within a thread that has gone on for years and has 1000+ posts.

With the previous forum format you could search within a specific thread, but unless I have missed an update that is no longer possible.
People often find forums like this because they have a problem and they are looking for a quick answer. That's the nature of the beast. You get frustrated, are stressed out and worried how bad your problem is and how much it is going to cost and the last thing you want to do is take your time and thoroughly search through thousands of posts for the unknown. If you are a regular and already know the answer to a question it is a lot easier to know how to find the answer and what keywords to search for. When you are experiencing an issue for the first time with no clue what the problem even is the answer can be much more elusive.

It's easy to give a snarky answer about using the search function to a question that seems overly repetitive if you are here a lot. I've done it and I am sure I will do it again when the mood strikes. But I have a lot of respect for those who always seem to be willing to simply answer a question or at least steer someone in the right direction, even when it is something that has been discussed over and over.

Registered
A while back I hijacked the "Never Mind, Delete This Thread" (post #33) to thank some of the folks who helped me make good choices for my beloved '19 3.6. Today I want to recognize member @SilverOnyx . His cheerful, informative posts, often accompanied by great photos, have helped me sort out so many issues. It was through him, for example, that I found the Fumoto valve, which version to get, and how to install it properly. He introduced me to the enchanting story of the Subaru Trunk Monkey, which cheered me up at a time when I desperately needed it.
And don't forget, he is the Founder of the Legion of the Special Funnel.
Thank you, Sir!

Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
I was on a similar site when I owned my Toyota.
Although I found a TON of great info...the mod's were a little snarky...
and often chewed people out for "not properly searching for old threads on the subject"
before starting a new thread.

(sorry for the language)
hmmm...I believe that for a short time, I鈥檝e seen the same moderator 鈥渟uggestion鈥 on this forum too....;) and I am guilty as charged for not using the search tool.

Reactions: Ausumm

Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
What is that mysterious search tool so many people speak of? :) Joking aside I do appreciate This forum as whole for providing knowledge and Extremely useful details about things I had no clue about. Made me a better car owner :) and encouraged to tinker around and improve my car with things like a thicker rear sway bar, sway bar bushings from @traildogck, or pulling the trigger and getting a downpipe and tune. Car is so much joy to drive now !

Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
This site seems to merge more threads than most others that I have visited. The problem with that is you end up with extremely long threads with so many posts that it is difficult to find something specific within a thread. That, and often the earliest posts in the thread are years old and since so many things change over time or better solutions to problems are found it can be hard to find the best answer to a problem within a thread that has gone on for years and has 1000+ posts.

With the previous forum format you could search within a specific thread, but unless I have missed an update that is no longer possible.
People often find forums like this because they have a problem and they are looking for a quick answer. That's the nature of the beast. You get frustrated, are stressed out and worried how bad your problem is and how much it is going to cost and the last thing you want to do is take your time and thoroughly search through thousands of posts for the unknown. If you are a regular and already know the answer to a question it is a lot easier to know how to find the answer and what keywords to search for. When you are experiencing an issue for the first time with no clue what the problem even is the answer can be much more elusive.

It's easy to give a snarky answer about using the search function to a question that seems overly repetitive if you are here a lot. I've done it and I am sure I will do it again when the mood strikes. But I have a lot of respect for those who always seem to be willing to simply answer a question or at least steer someone in the right direction, even when it is something that has been discussed over and over.
Hi @Danver . You can search within a thread. Just confirmed by looking for the word "merge".

(Doing this on my mobile via Tapatalk App Pro)

1.Navigate to the thread
2. Tap the three bubble/hamburger to get to Search
3. Default search area will be the thread you are in. If doing this from a particular sub forum, default is that area (and then you able to determine if results are words or thread-discussion organized)

See image below of my search results for "Merge"

I think this answers your question. If not, I just gave you a lot of useless words.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
I am the king of merging threads which is what I prefer to do now instead of redirecting a member to what may perhaps be a more appropriate thread to make any such inquiry.

I appreciate EVERYONE'S participation and I am always interested in figuring out better ways to accommodate as many people as possible.
In 2020 alone, you could merge threads and likely reduce your topic count by 35%. Just sayin'.

Funny thing, we have similar challenges in cycling forums (road and MTB)

What tire fits?
What is best tire?
What pressure should I run?
What pressure should I run when on Comfort Ranch trail system, on prerace day and the temperature is 97 and I had La Fogata family meal the night before?

(See how that last one was actually a new question? Maybe that should not be merged. That could be a thread about dinner)

Seriously, appreciate you @Kevin
I search quite often and do like finding fewer threads then word searching within it.

Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
Hi @Danver . You can search within a thread. Just confirmed by looking for the word "merge".

(Doing this on my mobile via Tapatalk App Pro)

1.Navigate to the thread
2. Tap the three bubble/hamburger to get to Search
3. Default search area will be the thread you are in. If doing this from a particular sub forum, default is that area (and then you able to determine if results are words or thread-discussion organized)

See image below of my search results for "Merge"

I think this answers your question. If not, I just gave you a lot of useless words.

I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for the info.

Registered
I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for the info.
can also search in a thread with the web browser... it's not immediately obvious (form over function thing). When you type a search term in the search box, there are three options in the drop down that appears. Third one is search within the discussion .. (you can select site, forum, discussion to limit the search). This drop down won't appear if you choose one of the past search terms

If you are accustomed to hitting "Enter" or the magnifying glass to the right of the search box

that will use the first in the list there... which is "across the entire site".

Also, if you have a search history shown... by not typing in the search box and only selecting something from the history, it defaults to "across the entire site". Typing in that box would show the selection criteria for Site, Forum, Discussion instead of the search history.

Registered
I still occasionally just use Google searches. It will find specific comments if they have been there for more than a couple of days.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts