Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Back when I bought my Sube in Feb, I changed out the air filter for a new one. After putting it in, the sound of it driving sounded totally different! It had almost a throaty, loud hum when pushing down the gas pedal, apparently coming from the intake, and just sounded great. I didn't touch it again, until today, when I went to just see how clean/dirty it was, make sure nothing crazy was jammed in there, etc. Ya know, just normal maintenance and routine.

So I pulled the filter, vacuumed it quickly to get some dead bugs out, and put it back in. Everything is together correctly - tightly sealed, locks down, bolts tightened. But now, for some reason, it is so quiet again, just like how it was before I replaced the filter when I first bought it! I am not one of those people who like a quiet car - I want that throaty hum back! Any idea what exactly happened?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
if the filter box does not seal well it can cause a different , louder, sound. re-seating the box apparently corrected this problem.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
if the filter box does not seal well it can cause a different , louder, sound. re-seating the box apparently corrected this problem.
This.

My '04 H6 gets different noises if I don't have the box seated perfectly. Once, it got a bit of a whistle-like noise that made it sound like it had a turbo.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw bummer. So does that mean that sound was caused by an actual problem? I went out and bought another filter tonight, waste of money haha.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
I think you didn't seat the resonator properly before, which is the leg of the intake tube that branches off into the empty plastic box. It is close to the passenger side strut mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts