Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I don't know if this is the place to post this or not. Just got back from a trip from Kansas to AZ and CA and back. Got the chance to finally stop and check out the new Outback! We were impressed with a number of things such as rear seat room with reclining seats, fit and finish, getting in and out ect. My parents were with us and my Mom really fell in love with the OB. We were pressed for time and did not have time for a test drive. Would have liked to taken both the 2.5 and 3.6 out. I like the more budget friendly cost and fuel mileage of the 2.5 but am very concerned about its power. I haul my wife two young children and maybe a third child sometime along with all the stuff you travel with. Most of my driving is in Kansas which my part of the state is flat but with terrible winds at times. We will also be going to the east coast sometimes to as well as the mountains. Once I test drive I will probably know a little more. The other thing is I live three hours from the nearest dealer. If something goes wrong with the boxer engine will my local mechanic be able to do anything with it? (something serious enough that I couln't drive it to the dealer. More minor things I would just run it to the dealer.)
Overall I was very impressed with the OB. Why doesn't Subaru turbo these cars anymore?
Thanks

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
If the 2.5i is concern, buy the 3.6. I have driven my 2013 2.5i through mountains, snow, hauling my family around elevations over 8000 feet with no issues. It scoots around just fine.

We have a Mazda CX7 in the family---that has a 4 banger turbo and has great acceleration off the line and passing (well, as good as it gets for a 4 banger turbo) but it also has 30% less fuel efficiency.

If Subaru introduces a diesel model in the USA, you will probably see a turbo. My gut tells me it was more fuel economy than anything else for getting rid of the 2.5XT....but I dont know.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said a test drive will be in place as soon as I can get to a dealer again. Also does anyone know anything about the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe? I wonder how these compare to the OB in terms of the AWD system and reliability. I know the Santa Fe has more engine choices as well as a option for 7 passengers. I still like the idea of owning an OB though. There is something that's just cool about them!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts