Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help with a noise. A little history of the car I just bought a 2002 outback 2.5 MT 168,000 miles 2 week ago. I replace all 4 struts, driver side lower control arm, ball joint, sway bar link, all 4 struts, water pump, timing belt and the tail shaft seal. Now the problem, when I make a right turn at slow speeds in 1st gear (like at a crawl) it sounds like metal slapping, and you can feel it, right before it happens, I think it is in the suspension, but I’m not sure, ( I haven’t done an alignment yet). any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
tires all the same brand/wear?

will the car idle through a 'donut' on dry pacvement without jerking/bucking?

are there any split boots on the axles?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
What he said, also do you hear any noise when you start reversing then go worward?

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Given the work that was done, it could also be something relatively simple, such as a tire rubbing on a wheel well liner or mud flap.

If the sound is repeatable every time you're making a right turn at a crawl, have someone walk alongside the car as you turn (perhaps drive in a circle in an open space such as a large parking lot) in order to better identify where the sound is coming from (corner, center of the car, wheel well etc). If it can be heard outside, it should be possible to isolate it, and possibly even find the actual cause.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,140 Posts
I had a left turn noise that no mechanic could figure out. Then the power steering started to leak fluid. When that was fixed the noise went away. Good luck. I know it can be annoying. Just trying to get it to do it when the mechanic is in the car is crazy making.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,315 Posts
... Just trying to get it to do it when the mechanic is in the car is crazy making.
That's the truth. I drove around with a customer for 30 minutes before the car made any noise and the owner swore up and down the noise was consistent until I got in the car.

Check everything that was disassembled in the strut replacement and make sure its tightened proper. Brakes, axle nut, wheel, joints and bushings.

It could be something else. Anything that is loose and repaired will make the next thing in line apparent. The "slapping" is a different description I've not heard. I'm trying to imagine it, but getting nowhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.