Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my options for replacing my front control arm bushings and I came upon a Mevotech part on Amazon.com... Curious if anyone has experience with the part.

http://www.amazon.com/Mevotech-Front-Suspension-Control-CMS80181/dp/B00YWD1EGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1447356610&vehicle=2008-13-66-233--16-6-6-167-1737-1-1---3-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2008%3Asubaru%3Aoutback

There is no real description and no reviews, so I am skeptical, but they appear to be complete aluminum control arms at a decent price. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Seen these on RockAuto too, slightly cheaper. I looked at them when I was thinking about replacing my front control arm bushings, but was too cheap to buy them. A friend of mine put a pair of Mevotech cast aluminum arms on his '02 Impreza though (different design) and they looked pretty nice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Has there been any evidence of the Mevotech's failing?

I read the thread on LGT about carid pricing them ridiculously low but haven't heard or found any evidence that they are failing. I have them on my wish list along with the whiteline anti lift - I miss my perrin setup but the feedback was too much.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Mine were way easier. I found that the ball joints on the Mevotech...were if anything, on the small side...they slide right in and needed significantly more tightening to clamp the knuckle at the cinch bolt. You may find the same, especially since you "cleaned it". There was some information floating about...saying the ball joints had issues fitting. Not in my case at all.

I also weighed them vs my stock (disclaimer....stock were filled with high impact urethane as an NVH procedure) vs the JDM that I also have.

I will post those weights in a bit.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Has there been any evidence of the Mevotech's failing?

I read the thread on LGT about carid pricing them ridiculously low but haven't heard or found any evidence that they are failing. I have them on my wish list along with the whiteline anti lift - I miss my perrin setup but the feedback was too much.
I am going to test them vs the true JDM I have. I just need to take my time getting the large LCA bushing pressed into the JDM arm. The Mevotech $ was so right. My theory is they were massively over produced. Production errors happen. You can buy a BugEye WRX performance clutch for $30. Same reasons.

Best you can do is take advantage...if someone records a failure. That's bad, but good if it gets posted. I certainly will. Denver streets have bent the eye on my LCA to chassis underbody brace...from AVO. I have also bent stock control arms on Denver streets.

I plan on finding out. Hopefully not by accident.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I found that the ball joints on the Mevotech...were if anything, on the small side...they slide right in and needed significantly more tightening to clamp the knuckle at the cinch bolt. You may find the same, especially since you "cleaned it". There was some information floating about...saying the ball joints had issues fitting. Not in my case at all.
Nope, my cleaning just allowed them to fit in nice and snug. I had read where some people sanded the ball joint thinking they were too big.....I think it may have just been dirty/rusty knuckles.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Nope, my cleaning just allowed them to fit in nice and snug. I had read where some people sanded the ball joint thinking they were too big.....I think it may have just been dirty/rusty knuckles.
Or maybe...."They"...were just nun-too-smart.

Dunno...I would not have been trying to "skinny up" the ball joint...in any scenario. Especially if there was any corrosion involved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hope to get mine installed in the next couple of weekends. Need to get an OEM axle first to replace the non-oem one that leaks a little (had the same thing happen on my saabaru). The Mevo and Spec b arms need a cone sleeve for the bolt right? Anyone have that part # handy? If not, I'll search I have it in my bookmarks somewhere.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Hope to get mine installed in the next couple of weekends. Need to get an OEM axle first to replace the non-oem one that leaks a little (had the same thing happen on my saabaru). The Mevo and Spec b arms need a cone sleeve for the bolt right? Anyone have that part # handy? If not, I'll search I have it in my bookmarks somewhere.
Cone sleeve for which bolt? The Mevotech bars come loaded already with a ball joint. And they include a new cinch bolt for the knuckle. I am not sure what you are referring too. If you have a record of that...post it. I have had no issues with my install.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Hmm...

Got it. I will have to look at all three LCAs. Unfortunatley the ball joint hasn't been seperated from any of them. I can punch the trashed BJ out of the true JDM arms I have and compare that to a stock oem USDM ball joint and see that the cone looks like ys the BJ.
@coffeynjager That's good catch...I didn't know anything about that. JDM gets a better ball joint too, well SpecB does at least....then so does STI.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Has anyone used the bushings that come in these control arms? I'm thinking they are probably as good as stock, so will have to be replaced eventually, but in the meantime how bad could they be?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The area at the 90 looks far more beefy on the stock part vs the cast aftermarket part. Just looking at it I'd opt for stock. But we also pack our car heavy for trips. Id like to see nicer aftermarket parts too. But not to crazy about those.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just got mine installed today along with new axles, endlinks, swaybar bushings and front struts/springs! Car feels like it is new!!! No more creaks, groans or knocks! I still need to replace the rear shocks and endlinks.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Hey @Farnsrocket u have an H6...or just an '08. I see chassis and subframe minor differences. I am wondering if it is '08 plus or H6 differences, They made some chassis changes in '08 and I am trying sort it all out.

Please clarify the motor on your rig if you can for me...thx...

I also had to tighten down the ball joints after 500 miles, they were clunking like h*ll.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts