Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some work down in Baja last week and was thrilled that I was finally going to take the outback out in her natural element. On the first day I went to check a surf spot out and immediately found myself in a slightly sticky situation. A dirt road that is normally in good shape was torn up a bit from the recent storm and my only way out was up a pretty steep hill that was rutted out and had some good size holes in it. I knew clearance wouldn't be an issue but on one side was the highway, and on the other was a guardrail. I took the hill slowly and lost a bit of traction for a millisecond, and then it quickly gripped like it was nothing. On the way into another town the whole side of the road was torn up from a storm and it diverted us straight into the middle dirt road. Once again, the outback took the dirt road like it was paved and it was only for about a mile or two.

All in all the Outback was made for Baja and I couldn't imagine having any other car for down there. With only 2k miles on her, I got her nice and muddy and had a blast. Only casualty was a very small penny size dent near the plastic door moldings, but that is nothing and I just have to remember that is why I bought the car that I did. My next mod will likely be the front fender guards as I have heard they dent easily.

Here are a few pics of the trip:

photo by timjohnson414, on Flickr

photo1 by timjohnson414, on Flickr

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Nice trip pics. Looks like you scored some fun ones. K38? K58? Punta San Jose? Where did you surf?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't become a pemex casualty... their fuel used to be so dirty you flat out couldn't use it in fuel-injected cars.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Did you have any issues with your insurance provider not covering you in Mexico? Most of folks I know who head down there need to get special added Mexico coverage. Just curious

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear you didn't become a pemex casualty... their fuel used to be so dirty you flat out couldn't use it in fuel-injected cars.
Yeah, this time I filled up right before the border so I didn't have to deal with their piss fuel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have any issues with your insurance provider not covering you in Mexico? Most of folks I know who head down there need to get special added Mexico coverage. Just curious
My old insurance covered me within 50 miles of the border. But, I have new insurance this time but still always get full extra Mexico coverage at the little spots by the border in San Ysidro. It's only like $50, so I figured it's worth it if anything happens.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Scored some really fun k58 and k38. No one out and good times.
Excellent. No hassles, good surf, and a safe comfortable mission. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
Between the bandits, scams and the corrupt police I would avoid driving there if possible. Insurance will not help you if you are jailed after an injury accident. You'll need to retain a Mexican attorney and the authorities are often reluctant to let foreigners leave Mexico. It is a world apart from Canada.

·
Registered
821 Posts
And good luck getting any money from the MEX INS.

Destroyed a drum brake assembly years ago in my friend's Bronco about 450 miles into Baja after the wheel and tire sheared the lugs and bounded off into the cacti. Had it fully insured and went through the proper channels. Insurance paid NADA.

Short Baja runs are usually incident free, but there is always the chance of a run in with folks with guns.

Don't even get me started on issues further south with police and bandits.

Remember it is a Narco State despite the sense of security the proximity to the border imbues.

Down in Michoacan, Sinaloa, Jalisco, etc. things can get ugly for gringos in a new car with U.S. plates real fast.

I enjoy runs south of the border as much as anyone, but the dangers are something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Between the bandits, scams and the corrupt police I would avoid driving there if possible. Insurance will not help you if you are jailed after an injury accident. You'll need to retain a Mexican attorney and the authorities are often reluctant to let foreigners leave Mexico. It is a world apart from Canada.
I don't really have a choice to avoid driving down there as I do some work down there. I'm very aware of the risks and realize the inherent dangers that are down there. I've been going there my entire life and have family that lives down there part of the year. The only thing I can do is minimize these risks by being aware of my surroundings and abiding to my Mexico code that I have stuck with over the years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And good luck getting any money from the MEX INS.

Destroyed a drum brake assembly years ago in my friend's Bronco about 450 miles into Baja after the wheel and tire sheared the lugs and bounded off into the cacti. Had it fully insured and went through the proper channels. Insurance paid NADA.

Short Baja runs are usually incident free, but there is always the chance of a run in with folks with guns.

Don't even get me started on issues further south with police and bandits.

Remember it is a Narco State despite the sense of security the proximity to the border imbues.

Down in Michoacan, Sinaloa, Jalisco, etc. things can get ugly for gringos in a new car with U.S. plates real fast.

I enjoy runs south of the border as much as anyone, but the dangers are something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I have driven down to Cabo and back surfing and have all sorts of stories. It's definitely not the safest place to go nowadays, however I do still enjoy the weekend Northern Baja surf strikes and occasional meetings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally would not give Mexico a nickel for a dime. I understand your situation but when I have a choice....................

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium
57 Posts
What kind of camera did you use? Those pictures are sick. Tell me it was an app on an iPhone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts