Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I measured 75 db in the 2017 outback with the vredestein quatrac tires.

At the point to replace those.

Thinking latitude tour in hopes of being a bit more quiet on the highway.

Thanks for thoughts and recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
22 Posts
I would recommend the Michelin Premier LTX. It is a non directional tire making rotation much easier.

The CrossClimate is highly directional, so basically the best you can do is move front to back on the same side unless they get dismounted and remounted every other time they get rotated. That’s going to mean a lot of wear and potential damage to the wheels.

also while the CrossClimate has a high ranking, it’s based on only 45,000 reported miles in that survey vs the LTX’s 10,000,000 reported miles. This means you’re only talking a handful of reports.

It probably is quieter due to the highly directional tread pattern. I admit I am biased against directional patterns for everyday tires just due to the rotation limitations.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
878 Posts
My wifes first Acura came with Michelin Tour HP tires from the factory and they seemed to be geared more for dry performance than anything. First year winter driving was not impressive and I switched to a set of winter tires mid-season. The Tour HP's were back on in spring and performed ok through summer but around 20k miles they started getting noisy. By 25k miles they were getting very noisy and were not performing well in the wet at all. I've always had good luck with Micheline truck/suv tires but those definitely aren't my favorites and really they're a very old design at this point.

I put a set of Goodyear WeatherReady on another vehicle recently and they've been very quiet so far. If you want to stick to a Michelin, the Premier LTX seems to be a good choice for the OB.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
129 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting past a 8.5/32" tread depth when new, especially given that real world reports are 30-40k miles and they are done.

Read some reviews on Tire Rack for the competitors to this tire as well. Michelin makes a good product but IMO there are better options from Pirelli, Yokohama, Goodyear and Continental. Michelin seems to be riding on its brand more than its product these days. Personally I've considered Michelin then chosen something else every time for the past 15 years or so.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
I would recommend the Michelin Premier LTX. It is a non directional tire making rotation much easier...
Very good tires, but they're a bit louder and have much worse tread life compared with the Premier A/S (IME). The A/S is every bit as good and lasted me a little over 40k miles, while the LTX was completely shot at 28k. Upside was that Michelin honored the treadlife warranty for me on both. Not sure I'd concern myself with the new tread depth - these tires are designed with an adaptive tread pattern, so they maintain their wet/snow traction throughout the life of the tire, while other tires can lose significant performance way before they're worn out.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
705 Posts
Don't get the Latitude Tour. It does have a very comfy ride and will handle more like a Suburban due to the soft sidewall. It has been around for over 12 years which is an eternity for tire innovation. Available Latitude sizes have been gradually phasing out and will continue to do so. A replacement a year or 2 from now might not be easy and may be old stock. It is also on the high end pricewise. It's newer Premier series replacement, which as previously mentioned starts handicapped @ 8.5/32" tread depth, has not fared well as far as mileage is concerned. I've warrantied out more Premiers due to premature wear than any other tire. It's been on an SUV or heavier vehicle every single time. Premiers do better on sedans or coupes. The recent Premier LTX is supposed to be intended for heavier vehicles. I have not seen many of them yet, too early to tell if they improved its life.
There are many good candidates.
Circumferential grooves (front tractor tire) in treads are best for directional and lateral stability and do not generate harmonics.
Lateral grooves (paddle tire) give greatest fore-aft traction but generate loud harmonics. You know when driving a manual transmission car in reverse and you hear the gearbox whine? That the straight cut reverse gears causing that. Forward gears use a hypoid design to reduce noise. There are some tires out there that look very similar to the curving angle cuts in hypoid cut gears. They all look like serious water pumpers and are directional. Goodyear Vector 4Season tyre for example. Europe loves that style. They spell them TYRES if you google search. As radical as those euro tires are they wouldn't be what I think is best for you.
I would recommend a tire with as high circumferential VS lateral grooving as you can find for low noise. If some lateral grooving is needed for traction, keep as much of it off the shoulder as possible. Tread blocks on shoulders = noise. Get a thirsty tire with enough sipes. If quiet is top priority, the Continental EcoContact 6 WITH CONTISILENT will fit your goals. AKA accoustic foam lined Tesla tire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. I didnt know physics would be involved in selecting tires.... I thought "surely" by now this was a solved problem and I could just have TireRack solve the problem... nope they dont allow you to search the most popular tire purchased for a vehicle.... totally insane.... Costco recommended Primacy Tour A/S..... Any thoughts about how that satisfies the three body motion problem involved in what is buying tires today? I was hoping for the easy button.... cie la vie.... thanks again yodas of road rubber.... NTB has some type of sale on BF Goodrich something buy 3 get one....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I went back to the verdstein quatrac 5.

Just felt comfortable on them.

Will keep the radio high.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
8 Posts

Just a dude,

I had Michelin Latitude Tour HP's on my 2016 outback 2.5i limited 225/60/18. Unfortunately, they did not handle well in the rain and my tred life is at 25,000 and i need to replace them. Just thought I would let you know.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
705 Posts
d-rail
Did you get tires yet?
If not Good. In my experience warrantying Michelins, you will likely receive an offer of at least 50% toward the purchase of new Michelins, BF Goodrich or Uniroyals. Id guess around $300-375 value.
It's easy to do and it makes no difference where they were bought OR OEM tires or alignment, rotation ETC. Michelin is easy to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts