Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read many reviews and also a few threads here on the Yokohama GO15 tires. Most of the postings seem to be very favorable towards this tire. However, there is not an exact fit for those of us who have the 18 inch wheels. The closest they have is 235/60-18 while stock for 5th gen 18 in Outback is 225/60-18. Will the 235 vs. 225 make a big difference as far as fitment and ride? I reached out to Tire Rack and they do not guarantee this size, but according to them it will not void the manufacturer's warranty.

I do not have the storage space to buy a new wheel/tire combo and my OEM tires are too worn to get through the winter. I am torn between the Michelin Premier LTX (which fits) and the Yokohama G015. My wife is worried about the fitment of theYoko’s, but I would like the additional capability they provide. Snow capability is somewhat important. I am a bit worried about road noise.

Do any of you have experience with either tire? I plan to buy new tires to replace the horrendous OEM tires this week. I just want to make sure they will fit and not rub, I have read the 245’s may require slight modification (with splashguards) so I want to make sure the 235’s will be fine.

I do realize that there is a very large thread on wheels and tires, but as these seem to be 2 of the most popular tires for this generation currently - I thought it may be helpful to have a specific thread with comparisons between the two for others who are contemplating the same.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
Two quick things:

1) very different tires, in terms of where they perform best. For street dry/wet and mild snow, clearly the LTX, but off road and mud/snow, Yokos. Just take a look at the tread pattern and you'll know.

2) 235/60-18 has larger tire diameter and will increase your speed compared to speedo indicator. In other words, you'll be going slightly faster than indicated. If you are concerned, you might consider getting speedo recalibrated (its about +1% error)

·
Registered
2016 3.6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two quick things:

1) very different tires, in terms of where they perform best. For street dry/wet and mild snow, clearly the LTX, but off road and mud/snow, Yokos. Just take a look at the tread pattern and you'll know.

2) 235/60-18 has larger tire diameter and will increase your speed compared to speedo indicator. In other words, you'll be going slightly faster than indicated. If you are concerned, you might consider getting speedo recalibrated (its about +1% error)

Yes I like the really aggressive tread of the G015's but I am worried about excessive road noise. I have heard that they are even more quiet than the OEM tires. It almost sounds too good to believe especially with the aggressive tread.

The info about the speedometer variance is very helpful

·
Registered
'15 OB 3.6 Limited - Tungsten Metallic
91 Posts
The LTX and GO15 are completely different tires. I would check out the Nokian WRG3 as well. A good middle ground between the two. They have a OEM fit for the 18s without the added weight. It isn't an AT tire but considered a severe weather/all weather tire.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,936 Posts
I have been going through a similar decision process for the past few weeks. I considered the tires in the original post.

Ultimately, I bought Nokian WRG3 225/60R18 tires and plan to keep them mounted throughout the year.

If you decide to go with a different size besides OEM, then I highly recommend this useful comparison tool:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

·
Registered
2016 3.6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been going through a similar decision process for the past few weeks. I considered the tires in the original post.

Ultimately, I bought Nokian WRG3 225/60R18 tires and plan to keep them mounted throughout the year.

If you decide to go with a different size besides OEM, then I highly recommend this useful comparison tool:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
Thanks for the link.

What pushed you towards the Nokian tires and how do you like them so far?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
By the way, looking at the tread is not a good way to assess a tire. Fifteen years ago, I had some aggressive looking Yokohama tires mounted on my car. (I do not remember the model number.) Anyway, those tires almost killed me in the snow. They turned into hockey pucks below 50F degrees. I was sliding all over the place. At the time, I thought it was just my driving inexperience.

I traded those Yokohama tires out for Michelin XLT A/S, which look like regular summer tires if you look at them. However, they performed WAY BETTER in the snow than my old Yokohama tires. That is because the Michelin tires remained sufficiently soft in the snow to maintain grip.

Moral of the story, the chemical composition of the tire has a lot to do with how the tire performs in snow. You cannot identify the chemical composition of the tire by looking at it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thanks for the link.

What pushed you towards the Nokian tires and how do you like them so far?
I was originally looking at getting dedicated winter wheels and tires, but then I realized I will not be motivated to change my wheel setup every spring and fall. I only will see 10 heavy snow days per year max. I drive to the snow in the winter from a lower elevation. So, I started looking at tires that had a winter bias but could also be driven during the summer. I came across the Nokian WRG3 and pulled the trigger. I also prefer to support a smaller brand whenever they offer a solid product.

Keep in mind, I don't have them mounted yet and cannot provide a review.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts
Michelin Premier LTX is a softer tire, a lot better for braking on wet surfaces, quieter, less tire depth when purchased, some loss in MPGs and very possibly shorter wear life. Yokohama G015 more aggressive, harder, louder and better wear life. I went from G015 to LTX on the Foz both good tires but the LTX braking is amazing.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R, Dark Blue Pearl
14 Posts
I went from G015 to LTX on the Foz both good tires but the LTX braking is amazing.
Does the LTX handle dirt roads pretty well? Not delving into mud or anything, but cruising back country roads etc. National Park / Forest roads.

Sounds like they are similarly good for snow, and the LTX may be superior for normal driving based on reviews on tirerack.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Very much so, I been is soft sand, beach sand, dirt roads, unpaved Country roads and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very much so, I been is soft sand, beach sand, dirt roads, unpaved Country roads and haven't had any problems.

This is exactly what I was looking for, someone who has had both!

What led you to switch to the LTX and not buy another set of G015's?

Was the G015 noisy in your opinion at highway speeds?

How many miles did you get out of your G015's?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
339 Posts

How about comparison of both these tires in snow / ice ? You mentioned LTX is better braking in wet conditions. The GO15 has a snowflake rating right ?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
238 Posts
Yes I like the really aggressive tread of the G015's but I am worried about excessive road noise. I have heard that they are even more quiet than the OEM tires. It almost sounds too good to believe especially with the aggressive tread.

The info about the speedometer variance is very helpful
The road noise from the Yoko's are no worse...perhaps even a bit better....than stock OEM duelers. Hard to believe, I know. But it's true.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight - Magnetite Gray
71 Posts
Hi all,

I have read many reviews and also a few threads here on the Yokohama GO15 tires. Most of the postings seem to be very favorable towards this tire. However, there is not an exact fit for those of us who have the 18 inch wheels. The closest they have is 235/60-18 while stock for 5th gen 18 in Outback is 225/60-18. Will the 235 vs. 225 make a big difference as far as fitment and ride? I reached out to Tire Rack and they do not guarantee this size, but according to them it will not void the manufacturer's warranty.

I do not have the storage space to buy a new wheel/tire combo and my OEM tires are too worn to get through the winter. I am torn between the Michelin Premier LTX (which fits) and the Yokohama G015. My wife is worried about the fitment of theYoko’s, but I would like the additional capability they provide. Snow capability is somewhat important. I am a bit worried about road noise.

Do any of you have experience with either tire? I plan to buy new tires to replace the horrendous OEM tires this week. I just want to make sure they will fit and not rub, I have read the 245’s may require slight modification (with splashguards) so I want to make sure the 235’s will be fine.

I do realize that there is a very large thread on wheels and tires, but as these seem to be 2 of the most popular tires for this generation currently - I thought it may be helpful to have a specific thread with comparisons between the two for others who are contemplating the same.
I can't comment on the Yokohama tires, but have experience with the Premier LTX. I had installed the LTX on my 2010 about a year before upgrading to a 2018. I can say that, after 150,000 miles and many different brands of tires, the Premier LTX was by far the best on the 2010 Limited. I realize that it was a 225/60/17 vs. the Gen 5 18" but it really transformed that car. So much so that I am already thinking of the LTX for the new Outback when I use up these Bridgestones a little bit more. Snow performance was good, not a snow tire, but very good in my opinion for an all season. Wet performance was absolutely better than any of the other tires I've had. Hydroplaning resistance was incredible.

Wear data on the 2010 for LTX: In just under 1 year and 18,082 miles, tires measured 6/32nds... Not super, but not bad either considering they only come with 8.5/32 I believe.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts
Road noise compared to stock Bridgestones (early in their life) is the same as far as I can tell. I measured it on 3 different pavement surfaces using a phone app (which is likely not accurate across a wide spectrum of frequencies given phone hardware limitations but is probably better than most people's subjective hearing tests). Results were the same +/- 1 dB for both tires. I measured it because I have a substantial hearing loss (high frequencies) and I wanted to know if my family would notice much of a difference.

Yokohama G015 more aggressive, harder, louder and better wear life.
I mostly agree with this ... except for the harder part. I own neither a hardness nor density tester for rubber products (Hardness and Density | MonTech Rubber Testing Solutions) so I'd take this purely subjective statement with a grain of salt. Yokohama has a winter severe service rating for the GO15s and claims that the additive package keeps the rubber soft in cold temps. This may or may not matter to you.

The road noise from the Yoko's are no worse...perhaps even a bit better....than stock OEM duelers. Hard to believe, I know. But it's true.
I agree with this. I also noticed no difference in MPG between Yokos and Bridgestones. Again measured and plotted with Fuelly, not a guess based on a few glances at the dash display.

Reactions: Dave295

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for, someone who has had both!

What led you to switch to the LTX and not buy another set of G015's?

Was the G015 noisy in your opinion at highway speeds?

How many miles did you get out of your G015's?
I was looking for a better tire for wet weather braking since we have 50+ inches during the 6 month rainy season. I had 38,000 miles on the G015 when a nail pierced in edge near the sidewall of the tire which made it unrepairable. There was still plenty of thread left and easily could get another season out of them. I would recommend either tire and you cannot go wrong with either but I favor the LTX which is a very quiet tire.
G015 are noiser than LTX but not as loud as other I had experienced in the pass.

The only snow I am in is when I go to see my family in N.C. during the holidays so I cannot really give you any comparison.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have owned 10 Subaru's, and I have tried many different tires. Everything from street tires to M/S to snow tires. On my Outback I basically get the same performance from all of them in snow.

I live on the east coast in the mountains, where our snow can have a high water content. Generally I can drive in snow up to 18". Beyond that I get stuck. With the plastic plate on the bottom, the car will float on the surface of the snow as long as your speed stays high enough and you spin the tires enough. I always turn off the traction control in deep snow. If it is on, the car slows down and I am stuck within seconds. Traction control is good on icy roads.

My favorite tire is the Michelin Premier LTX. It performs very well in all depths of snow, and good in the rain. Gets high mileage, and is quiet.

I do drive on dirt roads, and sometimes rough dirt roads. But, I don't drive in deep mud, so I can't comment on how it would perform there. Mud is completely different then snow.

I also found that snow tires wear out front end parts much more rapidly.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have owned 10 Subaru's, and I have tried many different tires. Everything from street tires to M/S to snow tires. On my Outback I basically get the same performance from all of them in snow.

I live on the east coast in the mountains, where our snow can have a high water content. Generally I can drive in snow up to 18". Beyond that I get stuck. With the plastic plate on the bottom, the car will float on the surface of the snow as long as your speed stays high enough and you spin the tires enough. I always turn off the traction control in deep snow. If it is on, the car slows down and I am stuck within seconds. Traction control is good on icy roads.

My favorite tire is the Michelin Premier LTX. It performs very well in all depths of snow, and good in the rain. Gets high mileage, and is quiet.

I do drive on dirt roads, and sometimes rough dirt roads. But, I don't drive in deep mud, so I can't comment on how it would perform there. Mud is completely different then snow.

I also found that snow tires wear out front end parts much more rapidly.
Do you run your Michelin Premier LTX tires all year?

Have you ever tried the dedicated snow wheel setup routine?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Have had the G015's on my Outback for a year now. I can't hear the tires over the noise my roof basket makes. I do take it off-road and haven't found anywhere the tires can't handle. Last winter I went through snow that came up over the skid plate with no problem ( car has a 2" lift on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts