Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

Over the last month or two, a number of folks that I have been talking to (on the phone) while in the car have commented about the low-quality audio. I've tested it on USB and Bluetooth with my wife, and she says it's the same, regardless of connection type.

I don't think it's my iPhone, but it could be. It did dawn on me that in years gone by with flip phones, but more so my blackberries, from time to time I would clean the lint and dander out of the speaker and mic ports, and noticed an improvement in sound quality.

So, I'm thinking of starting with the simple. I have 80-some thousand miles on the ticker and many many car washes with interior cleans have been completed. I'm wondering if there is build up on or in front of the microphone surface? I'd like to blow it out, clean it, etc....

But where is it? Is it the little grill in the dash just forward of my right knee? Or is it somewhere else?

I know someone here knows..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
It's in the overhead console. FWIW, the mic appears to be somewhat directional; audio quality is substantially better from the driver's seat than from the passenger's. Our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback provide good to excellent mic quality when used with out inexpensive LG (Android) phones via Bluetooth.

Reactions: UmamiUnagi

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
But where is it? Is it the little grill in the dash just forward of my right knee? Or is it somewhere else?

I know someone here knows..

Thanks!
The microphone is above the rear view mirror by the map lights and Starlink controls. A drawing of the exact location is shown in your navigation and audio manual in the section about using your phone. When in doubt, RTFM! :grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is also and microphone volume adjustment setting in the menu. Mine is set to "0" factory default and no one has said anything in regards to low volume or poor quality? Maybe try playing around with that?

2018 2.5i outback limited

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I have received comments that the Bluetooth audio quality is the best they've ever heard from any of my previous cars. This includes a VW Passat and Tiguan and Audi Q5. My wife says she can't even tell I'm in a moving car. This is with my iPhone 6S.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,695 Posts
You obviously need to upgrade to an iPhone X with 256 gigabyte of flash. The last Apple iOS upgrade rendered your old phone obsolete. :)

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Limited
47 Posts
I have experienced this too. It almost sounds like the iPhone's internal microphone is being used instead of the microphone in the car. Most probably a bug with the BT and infotainment system.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,247 Posts
Maybe try removing and re-pairing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts