Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Picked up my 2012 Outback 6sp last Saturday. The mileage computer hasn't moved from 320__________> [Gas Pump] in five days.

So, I assume that means that I have 320 miles until empty (MTE). I've got about 160 miles on the odometer.

Why isn't the MTE going down?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I just got mine yesterday and noticed that the number hasn't really changed. It took my previous vehicle awhile to figure it all out because it had to run through a few tanks of gas. I'll assume the Subaru is no different. It should be more accurate after a few fill ups.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Push the button in the right (Speedo) pod, and get around to the cumulative MPG. I am betting the miles to empty is not going down very fast, because the cumulative MPG is going up. If you were initially getting 18 mpg, and are now getting 30+, your miles to empty would stay pretty constant.
By the way, the miles to empty is in 10 mile chunks. So it will drop from 320 to 310, etc. Have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha, I did notice that the cumulative MPGs are steadily going up, so that jives with what you are saying... Thanks!

My wife has a 05' manual Forester XT, making us a 2 Subaru family. If "they" still made the Outback XT, that's what I would be driving. So far this is a good ride, albeit pretty sedate.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
The good part is, in my experience, the cumulative mileage continues to increase as the miles build. Mine has slowly been doing better, all the way through 10,000 miles. Enjoy!
By the way, these things have range! I have gone over 550 miles on a tankful.........Theoretically, I could make it to 600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts