Subaru Outback Forums banner

Minor detail I noted on the '13 Outback

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Pool Runner 
So how "finned" are the rear diff covers? There are a bunch of different versions - it looks like the T-type rear differentials (for 2012, the 6MT or the CVT in the outback) should be smooth, but the VA1 or VA2 type (in 2012, the CVT in the Legacy is VA1 and the 5AT is the VA2 (in 2013, the Outback CVT has the VA1 as well) - both are sort of finned (the VA1 has the drain/fill plugs on the rear cover, but the VA2 has them on the side of the rear diff housing) - the VA1 has vertical fins, and the VA2 has vertical and a couple of horizontal ones (sort of like a grid))

As I mentioned above, for the 6MT and 2012 CVT in the Outback, it has the T-type rear differential, which is smooth.

For the 2012+2013 Legacy CVT, and the 2013 Outback CVT, it has the VA1 rear differential, which has vertical fins.

For the 2012+2013 Legacy and Outback with the 5AT, it has the VA2 rear differential which has vertical and horizontal fins.

The type seems to refer to the housing, then there are specific identifiers - none of the USDM 10+ Legacy/Outback rear differentials are limited slip. Here's the chart for 2012:

And here it is for 2013:

So is the VA1 that is now in the 2013 2.5 CVT a limited slip? One thing I noticed is that the '13 CVT loaner car does not grunt when you turn a corner at low speed from the rear differential like my '11 CVT with the T-type. Perhaps the new unit fixed that issue. I know it was a major complaint for a lot of people.
None of the 4th gen US outbacks have an LSD. The T vs. VA1 vs. VA2 refers to the housing, not what's inside it. As an example, the WRX and STi both use a T-type rear differential, along with many of the regular Impreza models - some of those have an LSD (WRX and STi) others do not, and there are a number of different gear ratios as well, depending on the vehicle.

The T-type housing has a smooth rear cover with the fill and drain plugs in it.
The VA1-type housing has a finned rear cover with the fill and drain plugs in it
The VA2-type housing has a finned rear cover, but no fill/drain plugs - they are on the right hand side of the main housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.