Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the hg on my 04 Outback 2.5 and having 3 small issues. 1st is an error code of p0044 which is a 02 sensor code. What would cause this? Have checked the wiring and wasn’t there before the job was done.
2nd is power steering pump is loud. I did disconnect it and worked it a lot before running to get bubbles out and no bubbles to be found. But still loud.
3rd seems to be an exhaust leak. I’ve double checked the connection between the head and pipes but can’t really nail it down. Plus the radio doesn’t work so you can’t drowned it out.

Trying to sell this thing but it seems these issues are keeping people away.
What do you all think?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2001 Outback VDC Wagon
76 Posts
Your second issue could just be an O-ring or even the power steering hose, both are pretty inexpensive to buy and replace, about $2 for an OEM O-ring and $34 for the OEM hose, my H6 had a horrible whining noise but after replacing the O-rings and pipe all is good.

and

One good way to tell is to pop the cap on the power steering res when the car is parked and check for bubbles/froth. Mine was very frothy before replacing these things.

As for the exhaust leak, maybe try this?

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain H6, and 2004 LLBean...I love the H6's!
404 Posts
When I replaced the engine in my '97 2.5L OBW I replaced O2 sensors at the same time. These sensors are relatively inexpensive for the Gen 2 at about $100 each, so worth replacing to try and resolve the code.

For the exhaust leak, it would be worth your time to change the exhaust manifold gaskets. $12 for the pair and just a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
You can confirm the source of the leak by starting the car and quickly putting your hands all around the head to exhaust header mating surfaces. Do it quick -it heats up really fast. Feel for puffs of air. If it's got any rust then work your way back from the heads to the converter junctures - they usually leak at the flanges.

Use Subaru OEM exhaust manifold gaskets. They're often far more robust than aftermarkets.

While you're at it or if you did use Subaru parts - wire wheel the heads and exhaust manifold mating surface to make sure they're clean and flat.

same thing if you disconnected the converter doughtnut gasket - clean it up and replace with Subaru.

O2 - test it and the associated wiring. Or guess and just replace it and assume you'll be good to go for the next 100k with a solid O2 reading and maybe improved gas mileage over that time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts