Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new headlight to replace a damaged one a few weeks ago. Had a few moments yesterday to mess around. While I had the hood up I through on some self adhesive led strips. And yellow tinted my fogs. The fog overlay I cut to a smaller diameter than my light for a clear outer ring, but once installed is barely noticable, but I like little details. I also won't reinstall the rockguards.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/gtojohn1965/subaru outback 2001 gen 2/oct162012077.jpg
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/gtojohn1965/subaru outback 2001 gen 2/oct162012067.jpg
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/gtojohn1965/subaru outback 2001 gen 2/ghostfoglight.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yellow fogs help show contrast in the road surface. LEDs, I was trying to mimmick new cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Mustang...It would look better if my headlights were closer in color temp. Really it was just something to do. Im expecting some projector lenses to arrive soon and may reconfigure everything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ignore those who say the LEDs look childish - I did the same thing to my headlights a few months ago and I absolutely love it. I agree with you on the color difference though - wish my headlights were the same cool blue color, rather than dark yellow...

but, like you, I get the same comments all the time - that my LED's don't look right, look juvenile or childish, etc. How do they? I think it honestly looks like a factory look, and as you said many car companies are doing this today to their new models. It gives a nice accent that, to me, looks mature if anything

Btw, love the placement of yours and really am thinking about removing mine and trying to do the same as you did. Here's how mine look, sorry for bad picture quality:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Also, sorry to dp, but how did you wire yours? I disconnected my daytime running light system awhile back, and found that even after reconnecting it, that my LEDs would not come on with my headlights. I ended up wiring them to my foglights

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mihogan, some folks just don't get it. I went down and dirty with the wiring, neg right to battery and pos to fuse box under the hood. I stabbed the wire under one of the 15 amp headlight fuses. This way its switched with the key. Weird note, trying to find which side of the fuse was protected, pulled the fuse, metered each terminal to ground, both read 12v. Im guesing related to the weird drl wiring. I would like for the leds to be on instead of day running lights. Main thing, I want to be able to set my car apart from the others.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Very nice! So do your LEDs stay on whenever the car is on, regardless of lights (Headlights off, headlights on, high beams on) - I am trying to do this!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried the e-brake/drl shut off today. It turned off my leds along with the head lights. Ill try either the harness unplug or the computerized disable soon to see if there is any diff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On the subject of LED strips...

I just installed some LED strips in my trunk, just wired them into the old trunk light wiring. Super simple. I broke the stock trunk light probably a dozen times taking my hockey gear in/out of the trunk. Will post some pics this afternoon.

After I was finished, it gave me he idea for my next project: to install several LED strips on the inside of the trunk door so you had "flood lighting" with the trunk open.

·
Registered
52 Posts
two pics from my phone of the LED strips lighting the trunk. I'm going to make a quick release attachment for the wires this week, but for now I just crimped them together and pushed the excess wire up into the overhead of the trunk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
The lights look good. Wiring them into the taillight circuit would allow them to operate with the headlight switch only and the circuit is under the hood. The DRL has a separate relay and can be removed if you want to run without them.

It never fails. We end up starting to do something simple and it explodes into a series of modifications that keep us busy for hours.

I'm starting to get bored now that the car is done. Gonna have to find something else to change on it. Recoup from cash outflow first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
The lights look good. Wiring them into the taillight circuit would allow them to operate with the headlight switch only and the circuit is under the hood. The DRL has a separate relay and can be removed if you want to run without them.

It never fails. We end up starting to do something simple and it explodes into a series of modifications that keep us busy for hours.

I'm starting to get bored now that the car is done. Gonna have to find something else to change on it. Recoup from cash outflow first.
Put the rear gate grab bar on, if you are done with everything else (unless you already have it). That thing is really practical and looks cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing