Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Legacy 2.2 250K miles & recently purchsed 2010 Outback, hail damage and needs engine work
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest annoyances of ALL modern cars for me are the flashing lights and noise makers. Particularly the noise makers. On my 2010 Outback I removed the dash, and the small display above the center console, and "corrected" these irritations. First I found the audio annunciator, which is located on the back side of the dashboard. It's a cylindrical black object with a small hole in it. I simply crushed the plastic housing with pliers, allowing me to remove the diaphragm. My car is now forever silent......... Oh joy!!! I find nothing so irritating as the beeping, chirping, and blatting of these devices, and I've removed or disabled them on EVERY car I've ever owned. I don't need something beeping or chirping at me to tell me that I've left the keys in or the lights on or haven't fastened my seat belt, which is virtually never do as I live in a very remote almost zero traffic area. I also painted over several warning lights that served no useful purpose........

At the same time I installed a circuit breaker under the hood, and ran live power to several of the power points in the car so it would charge my Ipad and phone and other things without the car running. This was a silly oversight on the part of Subaru. In addition I installed a USB plug with live power in the central bezel to allow charging cords to plug in without having an adapter.

I pulled the driver side door panel off, and using a test light and a piercing tool, I found the wire that unlocks the doors. One of two very small wires.... both with stripes. One locks the doors, the other unlocks them, when grounded through the test light (6.5 ohms). I tapped into this wire, and the black wire, which is a ground, and ran the two wires through small holes in an extremely discrete location, using epoxy to secure them so that only two tiny points of copper are visible, and ONLY if you know where to look. There is a 10 ohm resistor in the circuit. All that is needed to unlock the doors is to short across the two copper points which are flush with the surface, using any piece of metal, and the doors will instantly unlock. With this description, you could find these points, but without it, you would never notice them, and if you did, would have no idea what they were. About 1/32 diameter and flush with the surface. I chose to mount them with the door rather than having wires that flex as the door opens and closes. This same wire could be found under the left side kick panel, and the release could be mounted anywhere on the exterior of the car.
Removed the passenger side front seat, and pulled the seat track off. Removed the stands that attach to the floor of the car, and moved them 4" forward on the track. This allows the front seat to move 4" further aft. The tracks attack to the seat with 4 bolts. Two up front, and two in back. I drilled the forward holes out to 1/2" diameter, and inserted a rod that can easily be removed if the door is open. This allows the seat to be reclined considerably further than original design. I often sleep in my car at trailheads and in other remote areas. With several throw pillows in the foot well, and the seat properly reclined, I can get the optimal 120 degree reclined angle equivalent to a "zero gravity recliner", and sleep like a baby. I've used it once since doing this, and it is far superior to the setup I formerly used on the back deck. Due to back problems and reflux, I've slept in a recliner for many years. When traveling I absolutely refuse to stay in motels. In the west there are thousands of isolated spots you can pull into for the night. I live in a remote area, and am used to silence at night other than the night sounds of nature. With the window(s) rolled down, on some remote forest road or stream bank, I sleep better than most people do at home I suspect. I have dozens of locations marked on Google Maps in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, and Washington....... favorite locations to stop over for the night, ranging from spots high in the mountains of Montana and Idaho to along the Snake, Little Wood, Deschutes, John Day, Rock Creek, the Scablands, the Cascades, Coast Range, Devil's Canyon, Indian Canyon, the Blue Mountains, etc. Each location I find gets marked for future use....

H.W.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts