Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we all really like our Outbacks, but what little things do you wish were different?

I'm a seat snob. My previous daily driver (Mitsubishi Galant VR4) had beefier side bolsters (on the seat bottom & seat back) & the headrests pivoted forward. That's probably the biggest thing I wish were different about the entire car.

I like to actually "rest" my head back into the headrest, but on the Outback then I'm looking up instead of straight ahead. If I adjust the seatback tilt to fix that, then my back is too upright.

It actually bugs me so much I'd like to find a spare pair of headrests from the junkyard & do a little experimenting to see if I could retro-engineer a pivot.

Or maybe I'm just too retentive ;) Or maybe my head is just grotesquely misproportioned & the rest of you fit your seats perfectly :p lol

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I'd like to have less front end overhang.

****, I'd like to have a anti-ditching roller like a WWII halftrack..

(green rides are the best rides)

From what I see on this group, it seems my OB leads the dirtiest life of any of the cars here. As I write this, it has firewood in the back (still need to unload that). So I would like to see a more durable interior, especially the walls around the cargo area. It's nice to have that big rubber mat, that was an unexpected surprise when I got the car.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
My OBS would be much better if the bottom seat portion was a little longer. As in going to my knee joint a little more. I like the feeling of all seat under my legs and mine don't cut it. Disc brakes in the rear-finally for MY04 they put them in(OBS) other than that, a great car. Brian

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
This is in regard to the new 3rd generation Outback 3.0R.

The trip computer has a button to scroll through the various functions, but you have to go through each function in one direction. There are 5 functions
1) km/lt
2) average km/lt
3) km till empty
4) elapsed time from start up
5) outside temp

It would be nice if the function button was an up down affair so you could scroll either up or down through the various functions and thus save time.

This is really my only gripe!

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
subah6 said:
This is in regard to the new 3rd generation Outback 3.0R.

The trip computer has a button to scroll through the various functions, but you have to go through each function in one direction. There are 5 functions
1) km/lt
2) average km/lt
3) km till empty
4) elapsed time from start up
5) outside temp

It would be nice if the function button was an up down affair so you could scroll either up or down through the various functions and thus save time.

This is really my only gripe!
I second that Subah6! Would be even better if it had lt/100 km as is normally used here.

I'd also like a reach adjustment on the steering wheel, it seems I can either get my arms right or my legs right, but never both..

Oh, and a little more torque would be nice, it does seem to need to change down gears any time you want any acceleration more than "mild"

Still I love it, best car I've ever driven :D

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
A centre arm rest for the rear seats. More side support for the front seats. I can't think of too many other things I'd change :)

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
but wait there's more..

Also would like those arm rests attached to the front seats that fold down, they are great and the current centre arm rest is too low even with the drivers seat in the lowest position, would be totally useless to a short driver that had the seat raised..

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,577 Posts
change location of cupholders and seat heater switches. Allow 'scrolling' higher AND lower fan speeds. Change function of the parking light switch on top of steering column to ??

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
*evil grin* locking differentials

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've gotten used to the single/scrolling fan speed button, but I wish I could change airflow direction without cancelling auto mode.

Oh yeah, I also wish you could pop the trunk with the keychain remote. I don't anticipate ever needing to remotely "panic" my alarm, maybe I could somehow add a solenoid & re-purpose that remote function... :cool:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,123 Posts
Re: but wait there's more..

Jondalar said:
Also would like those arm rests attached to the front seats that fold down, they are great and the current centre arm rest is too low even with the drivers seat in the lowest position, would be totally useless to a short driver that had the seat raised..
This seems to be a universal problem with all Subarus, the armrests. Its great how they make them sit so low, but you can buy an "Armrest Extension" for $130 or so :rolleyes: This is something Honda would do, leave something out just so they can rape you on the dealer add-ons. Anyway the armrests on my ourback are too low and aren't even big enough at that. The ones on the 3rd Gen Outback are better but still not great :(

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Oh, and I would have liked an under hood light. Does any other Subaru have under hood lights? You know, open the hood, the light goes on? I am going to make one, just seeing if any Subies have them. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
OT - some of the WWII Jeeps had a headlight that could swivel back and down to serve as a light over the engine bay.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,577 Posts
my autodim/compass rv mirror should have it's controls/displays on the side or top, not underneath. Blocks too much windshield. Yes, I did move the arm up, but the driver's side visor hits it if I move it any farther.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Less wind noise please.:D Also, I don't care too much for the sound the doors make when you shut them with the windows down.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
i posted request over at scoobymods a few weeks ago for help with adding an under hood light. no responses though.

also, i wish my rear wiper worked better. it never really wipes all the way to the edge of the blade, and when things get icy back there, it's even worse.

anyone got any ideas on how i might fix that? or is that just a general problem that we all have to deal with?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Give me a little more legroom in the front passenger seat.
BTW a few days ago I drove that Honda Passport I've mentioned in the Comparisons forum, and was surprised at the lack of leg room - I wanted to move the seat back some more, but it was already all the way back.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
FMGreen, what do you mean no one replied to your question over at Scoobymods.com, I did. I just went back to edit it today due to the mercury statement.:) Brian

1 - 20 of 58 Posts